“OK, but not four star - a bit misleading!”
Review of Macquarie Manor

Macquarie Manor
Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 5 August 2013

About: One night, one person. Queen heritage room. Room booked through wotif.com as a four star wothotel? - I usually don't mention these providers by name on a rival site, but it is worth noting in this instance...

Check in/check out: Fine enough. Wasn't able to get an early check-in (after a LONG travel day) but all was fine once I waited around a while. Friendly owners at check in. They weren't around at check out.

Service: Note that there is no one on night duty. Once it is 6pm, they're gone (as per all the signs). Car park (see below) is locked at 8pm, with no warning at check in. The owners were friendly but I had the sixth sense that it could have changed quickly.

Room: A big room, with a weird layout. The only window opened to the main corridor/thoroughfare, so for any modesty I had to have the curtain closed. Bed was comfortable but there were signs all over the single bed next to the Queen along the lines of 'don't have anyone here or put your bags here or otherwise it WILL COST YOU $35'. Not that I was going to do any of these things, but the patronising fawlty backpackers vibe of that sign was weird... 'Do not disturb' signs were dirty and had the old hotel chain name on them. Otherwise room was fine. No foxtel, but TV was flat screen at least. I slept well despite the above because I was exhausted. Wifi was free but with small limits and was a bit slow, plus I had to ask three times and wait an hour or two before getting the token.
Bathroom: Small, with a LOUD shower. Wow, that was noisy.

Food: No room service. Breakfast is at pretty limited hours.

Car park: Oh my. As a lot of the comments say, what a joke. There are six car park spaces, three of which will block in other cars. You're meant to leave your keys at reception, but after 6pm they're gone anyway... Fortunately I was there on a quiet night or it would have been a MASSIVE drama.

Other: That picture of the doorman greeting the people is a joke! There's definitely no door person, the stairs are a bit cracked. No problem for someone of my age, but it would be much trickier for the elderly guests in that picture. I wouldn't recommend the place to my Mum with limited mobility.

Overall: Not a 4* hotel. A 3-3 1/2* BNB or motor inn, more like it. It was fine for one traveler for essentially a work trip, but I wouldn't want to pay any more than I did, and it wouldn't be nice at all for a romantic or family getaway.
I had no problems with the 'quirks' but I wouldn't have liked to have any problems...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank traveloctopus

Reviewed 24 July 2013

After doing a phone booking and speaking with the owner to do so, some weeks before,we stayed at this hotel for 4 nights last week costing $160 for 2 nights and $140 for 2 nights, on arrival at 7pm, were greeted with, we dont have a booking for you, and we had booked for a particuar room, he told us that he had given us a better room, on refection now the room we had booked was probably let out to some one else, because they had mispaced our booking, lucky there were spare rooms. Any way the room we were in was clean and large heritage with a modern onsuite and a 4 pster bed, But the windows although they were full length curtains were up near the ceiling, long narrow, so you could not see out as the ceilings are at least 8 foot high, creating plenty of light but was a clostraphobic feeling not able to look out.On checking out there was a lady who had just checked in with a key pickup as desk not manned 24/7she had to ring owners emergency number as the key to her room she had been given, was a room that had not been cleaned and as she said to us "I am not sleeping in a bed that has been slept in and not cleaned". Also on our last day/night on return to our room late afternoon, our bed had just been pulled up, the bottom sheet had not been tucked in and all the fancy cushions were still piled on the lounge that were on the bed previous days. and the bathroom had not been touched, so am querying 4 star rating, for the money we paid over $500 for 4 nights would not stay there again. If hotel fully booked out parking would be a night mare as previous people have commented. Hotel is in a great location but next time will stay at Tavel Lodge across the road.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 188ann
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Very clean and tidy rooms but a little dated. The bathrooms are tiny but clean. There is no room service which is a little frustrating as there is no kitchenette either so you're forced to dine out which was annoying as the weather was atrocious. Location is good as its within walking distance to Salamanca and the city centre. Beware though, you get charged for every little thing. My friend was considering staying for one night and as it was just myself in the room I thought that would be ok but it was going to cost an additional $35 (aren't rooms generally for 2 people anyway?). Overall it was clean and comfortable and convenient but would choose elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank alittlebitofpepper
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed for 6 nights with my husband and 3 children aged 1,4,5.
The managers were fantastic with my kids and there hospitality was absolutely wonderful.
The rooms were roomy and comfortable.
The breakfast was fresh and tasted great.
If I stay in Hobart again, the macquarie manor will be on top of my list.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Newsence
Reviewed 5 June 2013

In summary, not a bad hotel that’s pretty good value for money and in a good location. There’s nothing fancy about the place but there is off street parking, it’s close to Salamanca (and the waterfront), the staff were friendly, and the room I had was a good size. The décor is very dated and the whole place feels like it needs a bit of TLC! The service could be better and the internet situation could be a little clearer. It is labelled as a 4 * hotel but at best it is a 3 * - this is why I have given it a 3/5 rating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TheFlyingScotsman87
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked two heritage rooms using booking.com. We had a late arrival and I noticed they asked that you inform them if you planning to arrive after 6pm. We were emailed a code for the keys and someone phoned the day before to check we had the code. Getting the keys was easy enough, the rooms were slightly harder to find. The first room (no5) was beautiful, very spacious and furnished with antiques and a 4 poster bed, we were all thrilled. Then we searched for our second room. Unfortunately this was in a kind of added on verandah and resembled a garage. It had no charm at all, no heritage features and such a stink of cleaning fluids coming from the bathroom that we had to switch on the extractor fan whilst we went out for dinner. As the reception was unmanned there was no chance to complain. The car park was indeed a nightmare as someone else has mentioned, we had to leave the key at reception but as there was no-one on duty I couldn't really see how this was going to work.
Plus points:-
The hotel was central, an easy walk to the Salamanca Market.
Room 5 is lovely.
Minuses:-
Our room was a poor quality 2 star motel standard, not worth the money, I can't believe it was in the same hotel.
Car park is small and everyone has to double park.
I did not like arriving without anyone there in the case of complaints or problems.
It is an old building therefore no lift, so if you have a lot of luggage it means having to carry it up the stairs.

Room Tip: Ask for room 5.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank JaniceAustralia
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Just stayed here for the weekend. Our room was very spacious and comfortable, not that we spent much time in it but nice not to feel cramped and be tripping over cases etc. It is located on one of the major roads through Hobart city and may be a little noisy during the week but was perfectly located for a weekend stay. Close enough to easily walk to CBD, waterfront restaurants, Salamanca Markets etc. Very warm & cosy in room - didn't really need to use heating at all. Nice and clean, comfy bed, nice towels etc. Staff really friendly and helpful. Good value

Room Tip: We had the front room below street level - very spacious and warm.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple