“A good hotel for the price, but not outstanding”
Review of Fountainside Hotel

Fountainside Hotel
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The good:

- Great staff
- Value for money
- Good location
- Great mini-bar pricing

The not so good:

- Choice of options for breakfast was very average. No fresh fruit, for example
- Room was somewhat cold-ish, heating system seemed to be temperamental
- Only 1 set of towels was provided, although it was 2 of us in the room

We had a pleasant stay, but it was not an outstanding place as some of the reviews implied.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marco0816
There are newer reviews for Fountainside Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I read the reviews of this hotel which led me to choose it and it did not disappoint. The staff are friendly, helpful and polite. One thing which astounded me was the mini-bar. Not the normal astronomical markup on drinks and snacks and they try to promote the local products. The room was clean and the bed so very comfortable. Next time I travel to Hobart this will be my hotel of choice. Thank you so much for a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K-Klog
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here with my husband on our honeymoon last year. Stayed for 10 nights. Great room, comfortable, big, clean and great service will stay there again. Close to everything stayed here an explored Hobart

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chanelle S
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have stayed in a number of places in Hobart over the years. I have now stayed in Fountainside three times. This is my favourite. It is so clean, comfortable, friendly staff, food very good at dinner time. The breakfast buffet is delicious. I am booked in again for July and will try to get in for September. The bed was the most comfortable I have slept in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank GypsyAustralia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights at Fountainside with my hubby. The facade of the hotel doesn't look impressive but we were wow-ed by the other aspects. The in house dining was excellent. We had 2 dinners at the hotel throughout our stay. My hubby isn't a fan of hotel food but he was so wow-ed by the first dinner we had, he had to make sure we have another meal before we leave. Even the minibar was catered for the needs of the guests. Unlike other hotels which charge exorbitant sums for the minibar items.

I love the L2 corner hotel room that we had. The view was of the roundabout traffic junction and the hotel is within walking distance to Hobart, Salemanca.

Service staff were friendly and helpful in giving us directions etc.

No wonder they received the trip advisor award for so many years. Will definitely recommend to friends if they are travelling to Tasmania.

Room Tip: Choose a lower floor room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eunicelim82
Reviewed 24 June 2014

It was a great stay for us (4 friends) whereby we got the 2nd floor corner family room. Room was spacious enough for 1 double bed and 2 twin beds with ample room to move around.

What we love about it is that the room comes with semi-equipped kitchenette and a cozy little side chair and table. Kinda squeezy if 4 of us sat in it, but good enough for 3.

The bathroom is spacious and has lots of toiletries to boot (3 sets in total) and more then we needed. The TV is huge but gives out a very warm glare which may be abit uncomfortable.

Hotel also offers free parking for guest though lots are limited.

A short walk to central Hobart and would recommend this place to friends.

My only gripe is that the lift takes a while to arrive and it's good if you can request for a lower floor room.

Room Tip: Choose a lower floor room as the lift is kinda slow.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This place is the full package: breathtaking views, good price, great in-house dining, free WiFi and pay tv. The mini bar prices are the cheapest I've ever seen. The shower is spacious and hot. We loved our meals in the restaurant downstairs, the breakfast was especially good value for money. My only gripe would be the hard pillows, but it did say in the hotel notes that feather pillows could be borrowed from reception. Perfect for families.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family