“Good value in Battery Point”
Review of Blue Hills Motel

Blue Hills Motel
Ranked #46 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We stayed here for two nights in February. On Wotif they were the only two hotels left in town with rooms under 175.00 on the days we were here, due to a big cycling event. Clean tidy large room, friendly staff. No breakfast room but they have room service breakfast. We were late at checking in and they called to see when we were going to be there, even though we had an international mobile, rather than letting us arrive late to find the service desk closed. One excellent feature is free internet for as many devices as you need. This is a huge help when travelling with two with four devices. This is something that the big hotels still totally rip customers off by making them pay large amounts, usually per device. What is that the cheap places can do it for free??

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Kiwiinmotion

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Our family room (1 double bed, 1 single bed) was great, just 10 walking minutes from Salamanca Square, and the Wooden Boat Festival at the Harbour. The room and bathroom was clean, beds made daily, fresh towels daily if requested, basic coffee/tea facilities. No microwave or cooking allowed in rooms without kitchenette. Staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Free wifi, or use of computer at reception. We will certainly book here again next time we stay in Hobart.
Hotel & rooms are basic budget accommodation, no fashion statement but neat and tidy. Austar tv.

Room Tip: Rooms on the southern end (Crelin Street) are quieter than room on northern (Sandy Bay Rd = main tra...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 249Chris
Reviewed 16 January 2013

The location of this hotel is ideal - just a few minutes walk from the city, even closer to Salamanca Place. We also had a great view of Mount Wellington from our room. The staff were helpful and eager to give advice on which restaurants to go to, how to get there, etc. There was free wifi, which was much more speedy than we expected.

However, the rooms were only given the most basic once over each day, and sometimes not even that. Towels were removed and not replaced, ants were everywhere (even in our bed), and vacuuming was inadequate or nonexistent. There was mould in the shower. The beds were also quite hard, but that does suit some people. We didn't expect glamour for the price, but we did expect the basics. If you like a clean room, stay away!!

Room Tip: Go for the apartment - try to avoid first floor rooms, as this seems to be where a lot of the proble...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Taawol
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Arrived at the hotel pleasantly surprised with the location. After 3 phone calls in the previous week to confirm details of booking we arrived to find our booking was still not right. After watching the manager play the blame game on staff that were not present (never a great sign)we proceeded to be charged substantially more than quoted! Being offered a free cancellation on the first day of our interstate stay was hardly compensation. Won't use again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Laughingpug
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. The location was great- a very short walk to anything and everything. The rooms were on the older side but very comfortable. Free wifi was handy and the views from the top were lovely. Only one disappointment was that we booked our stay with breakfast every morning but this was never mentioned by the staff and so we missed out on the first mornings breakfast being delivered as they didn't bother to tell us. Luckily we went back over our booking the last night and the next morning we mentioned the breakfast to the staff and it was promptly brought to our room.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2012

This has to be the worse hotel I have ever stayed in!
Upon arrival I was dropped off at the back door and was horrified by my first impression but I have stayed at many hotels with a drab exterior so I waited to give it a chance.
I entered via the exit and made my way to reception which was shut off. Check-in wasn't for an hour and a half but I was hoping to leave my bag and nip to the loo!
The bell for attention was on the desk which was shut off so i searched in vain to find a member of staff. After a while I found a cleaner and asked if there was a toilet, he led me to a toilet but it was a discusting one in the cleaning cupboard with dirty towels and mops everywhere.
I waited for an hour and half to check in and my room was certainly not worth the wait. My room was freezing with no working heater. The toilet was grotty and had ants crawling through the window- these ants ended up crawling into bed with me that night! There was an other door in my room with a boiler which clanged loudly throughout the night which kept me up - I tried to complain but of course no one was at reception! There also as a horrible mesh over the window which spoilt the lovely view of Mt. Wellington and made me feel like I was in prison!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Staff are helpful but dont expect to much. Heater was broken in bathroom, electric blanket on single bed only half worked, toilet kept sticking and wouldnt stop flushing. Asked staff to fix but was never fixed. Room was dusty, bathroom had mold and didnt look very well cleaned. Soap never replenished when used. No smoke sensors or alarms. Tv mounted over bench making bench virtually unusable. Exhaust fan in bathroom just circulates air in the room not vented to outside. Honestly a bit over priced for what it is.

Room Tip: For same money we could of stayed at a 6 star without a car park.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family