“Great and simple!”
Review of Blue Hills Motel

Blue Hills Motel
Ranked #47 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Modest and simple but has everything you need. Great location, hot water, comfortable bed and lovely service! they helped us in any enquiry or a problem that we had, and made our 3 days in Hobart to a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: April 2014
There are newer reviews for Blue Hills Motel

Reviewed 28 April 2014

A great place to stay, if you need a bed and shower. No fancy services. It's an old motel, but such a easy place to get too. 10 minutes walk to Salamanca Market or Hobart town. You also have Sandy bay shops, just 5 minutes walk with great restaurants .Red Decker bus picks up or drops off just on the corner of St Georges Trc, 1 min walk... I was turned off by some of the reviews, but all I wanted was a clean bed and bathroom and I got it... I was greeted with a smile and staff were very nice.. Heating was good, but noticed no Air con, so I wouldn't come in summer as they only provide a fan.. All in all. I would come and stay again.

Room Tip: I had room 21. The view was breath taking..Pic is one of the views I got from the 3 windows I had in...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jo-anne R
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is exceptional for it's proximity to Sandy Bay shops, Salamanca and the city. The staff are helpful and checkin was very easy, however the rooms are very dated. I stayed in a twin share room (queen bed and single bed), the bed itself was clean and comfortable, the bathroom was missing tiles in the shower, and there was an accumulation of someone else's hair in the sink drain hole.

The free wireless internet requires the input of a username and password every session that doesn't get saved (on phone or laptop) even when the option to save it is checked. On top of that, there is a download limit which is fairly easily reached. I'd suggest the internet process needs to be somewhat less complicated.

The website indicated underfloor heating and Austar in each room, however there was no sign of either of these things. Not a big deal, the weather was warm all but 1 day and the free to air channels filled in the few times I wanted the TV on. Worth noting, in the room I was in there was no aircon, and didn't appear to be in any other rooms either. Again, not an issue during my stay, but could be problematic in summer.

I think that this hotel could be exceptional with just a small outlay on refitting the rooms to a higher standard, however for the price, would be happy to stay again, and in fact the only reason I left was they were booked solid for the balance of my holiday.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Nice size room. Short walking distance to Salamanca. Great view from Balcony of Hobart Harbour and Wrest Point Casino. Has on site Laundry.
Only down side is parking is limited to first in best served. So would be hard when fully booked. Very happy and would stay here again

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Great location near the city ,the docks,and eating places.I had room 1 on the ground floor ,next to reception area.The staff where very friendly,and very helpful,as I was solo this was very comforting ,as a older guest.My room was a nice size and had every thing I needed.It was very clean and my breakfast was delivered to my room.Next time I go to Hobart I will stay there and have told family and friends about it.Thanks for a memorable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor for older guests.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Alison R
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had the room/apartment with the best view and undercover parking though you do have to climb 4 flights to get there. It did have a great bed and clean sheets/towels etc. For the price and location it was OK as long as you know what you are going into. If anything needed fixing or replacing it was done. As other reports state it is a tired old Motel in need of refurbishing though old does not mean it is no good just be aware of what it actually is like.
Note that some of their website info is not correct for this apartment. There were no ceiling fans only a floor/desk fan. (We were there in a heat wave and coped quite well. Great afternnon sea breezes.) There is a balcony though it is not private it is shared. There is no mini bar - though that is not a bad thing I suppose. There is a separate bedroom a bathroom and a lounge/dining/kitchenett area, ie all in one. There are no storage food cantainers. The tea towels supplied are brand new and do not absorb water and give off fluff that stays on whatever you are trying to dry as well as your clothes. The carpet and lounge furniture are well used, that is being polite. There is no central heating only a wall heater and a column heater that would work very well for the area.
Would we stay again, probably yes as we now know what to expect.

Room Tip: Apartment 34 has the best views and parking
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian M
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We were given a room with the best view and I have to say that was the best part about this place - the view and location. It was cold, wet and horrible weather when we arrived and we had to carry our luggage up 4 flights of wet slippery stairs to the top. The facilities were very basic and the room was noisy and cold. The bathroom was kinda horrible - we almost thought there was no shower but it was tucked in the corner with no barrier at all. We had to sleep in layers of clothes with the electric blanket on all night to keep warm. Don't think we will return to this one.

Room Tip: As for a ground floor room if you have plenty of luggage! Or try somewhere a bit nicer!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple