“Positives and negatives”

Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart
Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 16 July 2014

If you want to stay in a large Starwood/Marriott/Hilton-type hotel in Hobart, the Grand Chancellor is pretty much your only option. I spent a couple of nights here on a work trip in May and all in all I was happy with my stay.

Positives:
- Waterside location.
- Large spacious rooms, recently renovated, good bathrooms.
- Really excellent buffet breakfast. Great selection, efficient & friendly staff. The restaurant runs like clockwork.

Negatives:
- A slight feeling that the hotel is trying to extract every cent possible from its customers. When I checked in, the clerk at the front desk ran through a long list of options and upgrades and the extra price for each. It was my first visit to the hotel so I wasn't expecting anything extra for free but I couldn't help thinking that if most hotels were as empty as he was making the GCH sound, they would offer some of the things he mentioned as complimentary.
- Diabolically bad and over-priced WiFi. I had to ring the help desk three times in my two days at the hotel - the kid on the line was obviously very used to taking the same complaints I had, which was that every time I started a new session the WiFi gateway wanted me to pay, even though I'd bought a 2-day pass the first time I signed in. The WiFi didn't work at all in the restaurant and was flaky in my room.

I would recommend always using a booking site like Wotif if you're considering the Grand Chancellor. Room prices seem to vary wildly. If you can get a room for around $150 and don't care about WiFi, I'd recommend giving the GCH a go. I would not recommend it at the rack rate.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pumbelchook

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Had a weekend in hobart for my husband's birthday and although we normally stay at Old Woolstore chose to stay at this hotel. We booked 2 renovated rooms and couldnt have been happier. The thought that went into the bathroom design was ingenius, Being female and having the mirrors positioned to see the back of your head (to see what your crazy hair is up to) was great. Checkin and checkout was proffessional and efficient. Had great water views and although on busy road traffic not a problem.

Room Tip: Opt for a water view on a higher level.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank cjb008
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Visiting Tassie from Melbourne, arrived at HGCH and were pleasantly surprised to receive a free upgrade to a suite! Room was amazing with fantastic views, staff incredibly friendly and helpful! Wish we were staying for more than one night! Will definitely stay here next time!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Danica L
Reviewed 10 July 2014

There is not one bad word I can say about our stay at this hotel. We got a room on the 16th floor, corner room with view to the bridge and mountains. The room was very spacious, king size bed, great heating and very clean bathroom. Reception was helpful and offered to book us restaurants, cleaning staff was also helpful when we needed some help with the lights in the room.

I only dipped my toes in the pool but the water seemed warm and inviting. The location of the hotel is very convenient, the barracks are right opposite the main entrance with restaurants and galleries. The dock is picturesque and the best seafood restaurants are just across the road as well as Mawson's Hut and Hobart museum.

Only 5 minutes walk to Salamanca place and ferry stop to Mona. We will book there again. Check their website for specials.

Room Tip: Corner room was next to the stairs so we had no neighbours at all.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Viktoria2011
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hotel is old and run down inside apartments including the Harbour View Rooms, price is average. Pool was a disappointment. Customer Service great. Food Overpriced DO NOT order room service, expensive and food quality poor. When booking online take advantage of ALL discounts as the front desk won't amend. If visiting Hobart, pay a bit more and don't stay here. View nice but only on floors 17 - 20.

Room Tip: Rooms with Harbour Views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NightOwl1980_12
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I'm not going to lie Grand Chancellor was not my first option to stay at in Hobart. After visiting late last year and staying at the Sullivans Cove apartments we wanted to stay at something a bit more boutique on this visit, but everything was booked out. Well I take my reservations back, this hotel is just what we needed for one nights stay. Great location, friendly staff and very comfy beds. We will definitely be returning here.

One little niggle....some of the furniture has some wear and tear and the TV is not very good. But who's there to watch the telly!!

Free WIFI though ++++++

Room Tip: Book a room facing the water, they have big windows that let you take everything in.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jess Y
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My room's TV entertainment system was broken and couldn't be fixed and I made the mistake of asking for another room.
The manager must have wanted me to suffer for complaining because the new room was hideous. It was next door to the gym, unrenovated and the 'mountain view' was a water tank. There were plenty of upgraded rooms available but they wanted me to pay extra. Why should I pay when the TV system didn't work?

• Stayed: July 2014