If you want to stay in a large Starwood/Marriott/Hilton-type hotel in Hobart, the Grand Chancellor is pretty much your only option. I spent a couple of nights here on a work trip in May and all in all I was happy with my stay.
- Waterside location.
- Large spacious rooms, recently renovated, good bathrooms.
- Really excellent buffet breakfast. Great selection, efficient & friendly staff. The restaurant runs like clockwork.
- A slight feeling that the hotel is trying to extract every cent possible from its customers. When I checked in, the clerk at the front desk ran through a long list of options and upgrades and the extra price for each. It was my first visit to the hotel so I wasn't expecting anything extra for free but I couldn't help thinking that if most hotels were as empty as he was making the GCH sound, they would offer some of the things he mentioned as complimentary.
- Diabolically bad and over-priced WiFi. I had to ring the help desk three times in my two days at the hotel - the kid on the line was obviously very used to taking the same complaints I had, which was that every time I started a new session the WiFi gateway wanted me to pay, even though I'd bought a 2-day pass the first time I signed in. The WiFi didn't work at all in the restaurant and was flaky in my room.
I would recommend always using a booking site like Wotif if you're considering the Grand Chancellor. Room prices seem to vary wildly. If you can get a room for around $150 and don't care about WiFi, I'd recommend giving the GCH a go. I would not recommend it at the rack rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When it comes to staying in Hobart the only place to be is on the waterfront at Hotel Grand Chancellor Hobart, featuring some of the best views in the city. Overlooking the River Derwent and Constitution Dock, this Tasmanian hotel is just minutes away from popular attractions like Salamanca Place, Battery Point and the Central Business District, but intimate enough to ensure a perfectly relaxing experience. Enjoy the comfort, space and facilities of one of Hobart’s largest hotels. Work out in our state-of-the-art fitness centre or enjoy a rejuvenating swim in the heated indoor pool. Meet for drinks in The Atrium Lounge or reserve a table at the popular Restaurant Tasman, where magnificent harbour views meet contemporary cuisine. For meetings and special events, the hotel offers a range of meeting rooms from intimate boardrooms and meeting spaces right up to major convention facilities. Uncover the best of Hobart at Hotel Grand Chancellor, which brings the perfect measure of style and substance to accommodation on the waterfront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hobart Grand Chancellor
- Grand Chancellor Hobart
- Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart Tasmania