“Lovely weekend”

Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely weekend”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I came to Hobart for a long weekend, we arrive on Friday afternoon early for check- in but the staff were very obliging , We were given a room upgrade free parking and a bottle of bubble on ice breakfast was included as we were on a groupon voucher. For our first nights dinner we had it in house at the Tasman Restaurant the meal was lovely my steak was cooked to my liking , we found the staff very attentive and friendly. Our room was nice and clean not over plush,but serviceable over all we found the Hotel Grand Chancellor great value for money.h

Room Tip: Tell them it's your birthday as it was my 60th.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Nice place to stay, tidy room, nice marina views. Good location. I had eye fillet in restaurant, cooked well, needed a few more vegetables on the plate. All in all I got what I was expecting and that's all I can ask of a hotel. I will stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TELLITLIKEITISIWILL
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2014

On our arrival it was suggested that we upgrade to a superior room at a "special offer" additional cost to us, as we would then have a recently refurbished room with a better view. We did so and were very pleased with our room. It was spacious and the bathroom was great; new and pristine! We couldn't see the mountain from this mountainside room, but it had a pleasant view of the city, over to the Domain. The staff were friendly and efficient. The hotel had a pleasant feel to it, with beautiful views of the harbour from the upper level foyers. As someone who doesn't like a big breakfast, I thought that it was a pity that they only offered a pricey buffet breakfast, but there are lots of good restaurants nearby where you can have an a la carte breakfast. The car parking was tight; we had to circle quite a while for a space one evening, and I thought that the $9 per day parking rate was excessive; parking should be complimentary. There was 2 hours free wifi and then charges kick in! The location is excellent, within easy walking distance to the city centre, the museum, Salamanca and the Mona Ferry.

Room Tip: You will have a better view from upper levels.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Tuggerah, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Initially I came to check into Grand Chancellor Hobart with my friend who was staying for 2 nights with me before leaving me to spend another night as a solo traveller. My first impression of the inside of the hotel was a good one. It's quite a stunning reception area. The only trouble was that there had been a mix up with my booking. I had emailed Nikki their reservations agent before hand to ensure that a second double bed would be set up in our room for my friend to sleep on and she had emailed me back to say this was fine. When I got to the hotel I was told that they were fully booked and that the booking notes received from me did not say that a second bed was needed. The best they could offer me was a roll away bed. This was not acceptable to us so I advised the receptionist that I had been promised this would be ok. He shrugged his shoulders and told me he was sorry but there was nothing he could do. It was not until I produced evidence of the email from Nikki that he apologised and said he could find me a room with two double beds.

This was quickly forgotten as the room was lovely and the beds were comfortable and very clean, even though we only had a view of the road outside. One on of the nights my friend and I also had a nice swim in the pool and on the way down noticed that it was fully equipped with a gym as well.

On the day my friend had checked out it was actually my birthday and the TV in my room was not working so I called the reception staff and a man came up immediately and tried to fix it for me. Sadly he was unable to fix it. He asked me how my day was and I just happened to mention it was my birthday. Right after I said this he told me that he would upgrade my room to the Executive Suite free of charge as it was my birthday and that the TV in there works and I had to have a working TV on my birthday! The Executive Suite had the best views in the hotel, was very spacious and it was a very comfortable stay.

I dined in the Tasman restaurant twice while staying there. It is fine dining and expensive but if you have the money I highly recommend as every meal was mouth watering. I stayed at the travel lodge after this because I had to for a tour group I was travelling with and although travel lodge was not too bad this was much more luxurious and it was worth the extra money. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the harbour
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Elizabeth Town
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was my first time at the grand Chancellor since its recent refurbishment. Overall they have done a very good job. The rooms although not overly luxurious have been well refreshed and given a new lease of life. Much nicer than the drab out of date rooms of a couple of years ago. The bed was comfortable, the pillows similarly. Room i had was of a good size and the bathroom was similarly ok. Excellent wearer pressure in the shower. The place also seems to have a better vibe. The front desk were efficient pleasant and gave me a room up grade. Thanks! Got to have a room with the view of the harbour. Tasman restaurant is also good eating for a hotel restaurant. The Grand Chancellor is again living up to its name. We will return if the price is right.

Room Tip: If you can afford it always take a harbour view room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Everything was fantastic, they let us check in 6 hours early. Service was great, room was great, and the Tasman restaurant was one the best restaurants I've ever been too, the free breakfast had a huge range also.

1 Thank Liviss
South Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Ask for a high floor with view of the harbour. In all weather the views are fantastic, watch the small boats go out and come in. The Mona Ferry's regular crossings and the comings and goings on the pier. After spending all day walking around Salamanca and visiting various tourist attractions, have a quiet drink in the Atrium Lounge before heading out for dinner at one of the numerous Pier restaurants. The Restaurant Tasman at the Grand Chancellor is also excellent.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter - keep in mind floor levels i.e. 18 is really only about Level 7
1 Thank Silvervampire