“Spacious but...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
“Spacious but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

On arrival, we were pleasantly surprised with the size of our two bedroom suite. It was very spacious. But once we had a close look, we were disappointed with the facilities and the cleanliness. Prior to arrival, I contacted the hotel and was informed that our suite would have a microwave, a coffee plunger, and everything necessary for cooking. However, we only found one small pot and one small frying pan in the kitchen. In the end, as we were staying for 8 nights, we went and bought a pot, a pan and other necessary things (if you are lucky, you might find these we left behind). There were only two dining chairs for three of us. The suite was generally clean, but in corners, especially on the stairs, we could see built-up dust. I doubt the room was vacuumed during our 8 night stay and the linen was never changed. We also had to take a shower without any light for three nights as the maintenance was not available over the weekend. The hotel has a good pool and sauna, but it was disappointing that there was no spa (there was a sign for spa but no spa). The staff was OK and the room was very reasonably priced. So on average, we were happy with the hotel and we may go back again next year as long as we can get good facilities!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Pengapa
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Good Morning Pengapa,

I am disappointed that you were not happy with your overall stay here in Hobart. Cleanliness of the hotel is something we have been working hard to ensure happens and I, myself check five random rooms per day as an extra measure.

I will follow up with my Executive Housekeeper to ensure the rooms are being vacuumed and the linen and towels are being changed as per our hotel policy.

Unfortunately, we had to remove the spa due to ongoing issues but have replaced it with new gym equipment and have had the pool and surrounding area refurbished.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Danny Veis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We recently stayed for 4 nights at the Rydges Hotel Hobart - what an excellent experience with such immensely helpful staff - Michael (chef), Stephen, Fiona and Danny - who made our stay in Tasmania a more enjoyable stay. This is a great hotel, very soft comfortable beds, lovely restaurant (we ate herE 2 nIghts out of 4) and wonderful staff. We stay in many hotels around the world and this is one of the best!!
It is only 2 km from the centre of town, quiet and accessible.
We recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: Soft comfortable beds, great service
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
Dear deborahG255100,

Well, this is truly a great way to start my working day. I am extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's always nice to receive positive feedback and will be sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the team, particularly Michael, Stephen and Fiona.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed in January 2012. We arrived to find that there had been a mix up and our rooms wern't as requested, this was rather dissapointing as we have stayed at this hotel approx 5 times and we called a week before our arrival just to double check and then it still wasn't done for us when we arrived. As they were booked out there was nothing they could do for us that night so the manager came and spoke to us and offered compensation and the next day changed our rooms for us and fixed the problem.

The restaraunt was lovely, we had breakfast and dinner on several occasions and the service and food was both great!

It is in a good location, it's not quite walking distance to alot of places so you should have a hire car, as for some other peoples comments about the decor etc, the bathrooms and furniture are a little tired looking but for the price and facilities you couldn't really complain, these people must only be able to pay for 3 star and expect 5 star, i thought it was a great room for the money compared to other hotels in hobart!

The beds are amazing, so comfortable you have a great nights sleep. The only annoying thing with the rooms is the plumbing is quite loud, you could hear the neighbours toilets flushing and showers running quite loudly but apart from that i thinks it's a great place for the price!

Apart from afew mix ups by some staff which we were told were relatively new, the manager is very nice and when problems are brought to his attention he deals with them and trys to make the situation better for you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Hello Kea17,

I am glad we managed to sort out your rooming issue and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay. I enjoyed our chats in the restaurant and in the bar that night when you guys were playing pool.

I will definately pass on your comments about the food to the Executive Chef as he has been working hard to ensure the level of food and presentation has been lifted.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future and perhaps even joining you for a game of pool in the Manor Bar.

Queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

This hotel has a great deal of charm and character retaining much of its period architecture blended with more recent additions. It is often difficult to find a hotel that accommodates children traveling with parents (not the preferred patrons) with out being seriously penalized in the hip pocket for the privilege of squeezing in to a small hotel room and bedding your child on a sofa (that may fold out subsequently turning the room in to a toe stabbing maze). There are far fewer options in most Australian cities when seeking a two bedroom hotel.

The Rydges Hobart scores highly not only for it’s ability to offer a two bedroom option (with 3 single beds in the second room) but also on the size of the rooms and the fair tariff. We stayed in the Antique Twin overlooking the pool at the back of the hotel. The room (apartment) while somewhat dated and in need of a furniture and fixings make over was very spacious, safe and quite with the lounge, kitchenette and a bathroom on the ground level and the two bedrooms on the upper level. The Queen Size bed and pillows in the master were sublime (I forgot to check for the brands) and offered a very comfortable sleep (my wife says the best bed she has slept in).

The hotel is a leisurely 30 minute walk from the city (not as close as perhaps made out from reading other reviews) but it is on a direct access road and from what I observed was most likely covered by the local bus network. We had a hire car so it really was no issue.

I recommend the Rydges if you have children and or you are staying in the area for a few days or so and want a good base to explore from. Clean and comfortable rooms with friendly front of house young ladies.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Good Afternoon Legar,

It sure is worderful to read that we fitted your needs on so many levels and that you enjoyed your stay here with us. The two bedroom Antique suites are very popular with families for the extra bedroom as well as the kitchen facilities and longe/dining room downstairs. Another bonus of using Rydges as a base as you say is the 105 free car spots on the hotel grounds making parking a non issue.

Ah! yes the Rydges Dream Beds. we do receive an incredible amount of very positive feedback about our beds with most people saying as your wife did, "the best sleep they have ever had".

I will definately pass on your positive feedback about the hotel and the team to the heads of department at our next morning meeting and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

I too have had my bookings mysteriously cancelled or amended and this has been a source of some concern, especially as rooms in Hobart are hard to come by in summer. I have found that I need to phone to confirm my reservation, as my emails to the hotel have not been answered.

During the peak summer period I have found the noise from other guests to be quite unbearable (no wild parties, but people talking loudly at all hours!). As there is no air conditioning in many rooms, we have had to open the windows, which exacerbates the noise issue. It is also not helped by the excessivley noisy plumbing in some rooms (51), but in many of the rooms we have stayed in we have not found this to be an issue.

On the good side, the room service is prompt, and the restaurant is quite adequate for a hotel restaurant, although more variety in the menu would be good. The bar is inviting, and in winter it is very convivial. Disappointed they no longer serve cocktails though.

The dream beds are just that - a dream to sleep on! And the sachets of hot chocolate are the best. Never been a fan of hot chocolate, but this has made me a convert - well when i stay at hotel at the least!

I agree with most comments that the rooms are a bit dated (look at the bathrooms!), but overall it it represents excellent value for money. Perhaps it is best to stay in the quiter winter months when the service is more personable, and they can pay more attention to detail.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Jakebean
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Dear Jakebean,

I do not understand why your emails have not been answered as my front office team are fully aware that all emails must be replied to within 1 working day. It is definately something I will be chasing up for answers.

It's great to read that the restaurant and room service was prompt. Chef is currently putting together a new menu which should have greater variety.

We do receive a lot of very positive feedback about the Rydges Dream Beds. many guests say that they wake up earlier feeling more refreshed.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Danny veis
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

Our stay at Rydges Hobart was anything but pleasant. We had booked for two nights, but checked out after one.

Our main complaints:
* noisy room - we could hear other guests and the sound of water pipes all night
* outdated furniture that had clearly not been updated since the hotel was built in the 1980s
* torn and worn carpet
* very old bathroom - mouldy tiles, dirty mirror, buildup of dust in exhaust fan
* gym equipment was not connected to power, and pool looked quite sad with two pieces of overturned outdoor furniture
* location - not close to any attractions
* unprofessional staff - the young lady who checked us in was not familiar with the system and asked us if we had a free breakfast included.

If this was a budget motel I would understand its flaws, however we paid a good price and comparable hotels provide much better service and facilities.

I provided the above comments to management when invited to complete an online feedback form. The response I received was clearly auto-generated, as they encouraged me to share my thoughts on Trip Advisor!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank queenbee1981
Good Morning Queenbee1981,

I am extremely disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and as I mentioned when I replied to you on the online survey, I have discussed your feedback with the relevant department heads and systems have been put in place to ensure this type of things does not re occur.

You mentioned that the pool looked sad with overturned furniture and for this I apologise. I can tell you that we have just spent over $40,000.00 on the pool area with new fencing, furniture and paint work and between myself and my maintenance manager, we check the pool and surrounding area at least twice a day, moving furniture to it's rightful position, attempting to keep the area neet and tidy for our guests.

Again, I apologise for the gym equipment not having power to it. The gym equipment is brand new and only arrived a few days before you did and we were waiting for the electrician to come and supply power. I am happy to advise that this has now been done and all the equipment is up and running.

We do have some new team members including one on front desk. Amber has been here for just over a week and we are doing all the training we can to get her up to speed as quickly as possible.

I do hope that you change your mind and give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges Hobart, so you can see the work we are doing to improve our service and facilities for our guests.

Danny Veis

Travellers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed in the antique 2 bedroom for 3 nights in mid December and were horrified at the standard of room provided to us. Among other things there was a large build up of mould in both bathrooms above the shower, bathroom vents had months of dust and grime covering them, surfaces were dusty and the room had obvious outstanding maintenance issues (water damage to the ceiling and torn carpet). We requested a change of room the following day and was informed there were no other options available to us.

After showing the housekeeping team member the areas of concern these were in part addressed while we were out which was appreciated. I would question however why we needed to show housekeeping the areas that were obviously unclean and passed as "acceptable" prior to our arrival. We dined for dinner on one night and the service was good and food enjoyable. All staff we encountered were friendly however lacked any empathy to our concerns with the room.

The property presents well when you drive in and the exterior of the older part of the hotel is beautiful. If only the hotel would invest in ensuring that the rooms are clean and comfortable, after all this is what I was paying for. The antique rooms are definitely tired and in desperate need of attention. Do not book these rooms if cleanliness and comfort are important.

I would also add that the most disappointing aspect of the stay is that no effort was made by staff to recover our impression and experience either during or after the stay despite my partner leaving his details on a guest feedback form. It makes me think that the owners/management of this hotel have no interest in improvement and take little interest in the views and feedback of their guests'.

Room Tip: do not book antique suites as these are in definite need of refurbishment
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear Frequent Traveller,

It was good to read that you enjoyed the food and service in the restaurant on the night you had dinner and that you felt the property presented well upon driving in but was disappointed to read about the cleanliness of your bathroom.

I have taken this up with the Executive Housekeeper and am personally checking five random rooms per day to ensure the level of housekeeping is increased.

I apologise for not responding to your impressions card yet but I can assure you that I do respond personally to every guest impressions card, every online survey taken and every tripadvisor review written within a couple of weeks.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart so you can see the hard work we are doing to improve the levels of service and the facilities of the hotel.