“Fantastic after a rocky start”

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My partner, friend and I stayed here for 4 nights early January. We had booked 2 rooms and requested that they be next to each other. We called a week before our arrival to double check that this was all ok, were promised that we'd definitely be next door to one another. When we arrived at the hotel some changes had been made and our rooms were not together, and we had a few other small issues with our booking. As returning guests (this was at least our seventh visit to Rydges Hobart) we were unhappy with how we'd been treated so we asked to speak with the manager who was incredibly apologetic and promised to fix the issues as soon as he could. The next day our friend was moved into the room next to us. He also offered for the three of us to have dinner free of charge that night at the hotels restaurant. Dinner was absolutely delicious. We all had steak and loved it! I had been a bit unsure about coming back to stay here as the last time some of the staff had been rude and very unhelpful. The one thing that got me back was the amazing Rydges Dream Mattress. It is like sleeping on a cloud! The new manager Danny is doing fantastic things here and we could already see many improvements. This time the staff were wonderful, very helpful and just lovely people all round. If it had been a little bit warmer we would have been in the newly refurbished pool for sure! The food in the restaurant was lovely - we ate here 2 out of 4 nights. I like where the hotel is positioned, its not right in the city but it only takes just over 10 minutes to drive through the city and into Sandy Bay. We had beautiful views from our rooms upstairs and I think that it is great value for money. Yeah, the rooms are a little older than some places we have stayed, but I think they're good, very spacious. We ended up having a really lovely time and are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The Superior King or Twin rooms are good.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Metro86
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Hi Metro 86,

I am glad we managed to sort out your rooming issue and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay. I enjoyed our chats in the restaurant and the night I was behind the bar when you guys were playing pool.

The Executive Chef has been working hard to ensure the level of food and presentation has been lifted and will appreciate the feedback. I am very much looking forward to the new Manor Grill menu starting in a couple of days.

I can't begin to tell you how much fantastic feedback we receive about the Rydges Dream Beds. So many people tell me that they wake up earlier than they normally would and feel so much more refreshed every morning.

It's great to have the pool and surrounding area refurbished and have just had the new gym equipment installed as well.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future and perhaps even joining you for a game of pool in the Manor Bar.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stay in Hobart approx three times each year.This was the worst stay. We decided to spend the long weekend in January at Rydes, had never stayed before and it was going to be our last opportunity to get away before our baby arrives. This hotel is the worst we have ever stayed at in hobart and will never return, the shower screen was not connected and water went all over the floor and it was so dirty and stained, not to mention ants, there was spider webs all over the unit and it was dirty and smelly, all the floors was old timber floors and everyone of them made noises and was loose to the point we did think they would not hold up, the spa was so old and cracked and dirty there was no way either of us was going to get in, the flooring had just had bad fix it patches and you had to be so careful not to get splinters or trip over, the weekend was so hot in hobart and the room had no A/C or fan, to top it off the room was near the kitchen and when trying to sleep all you could hear was the chillers cutting in and out. We will never stay here again and we will never recommend it to anyone, they should not be able to charge rooms like ours out, when we checked in we had been told they had upgraded us twice so I hate to think what the rest of the rooms are like, we took photos but only a couple turned out. We would have gone to another hotel, but it was the long weekend and hobart was fully booked.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shaz S

Good Afternoon Shaz S,

I was extremely disappointed to read your feedback about your stay with us, particularly considering you stayed in one of our National Trust Cottages. I have discussed your feedback with my heads of department at our morning meeting and have requested my Maintenance Manager to replace the shower screen. He also mentioned to me that the pest control company had just been in which is done routinely and possibly why there had beeen ants coming out before they go away.

Regarding the air conditioning, I have recently had discussions with our head office to have air conditioning installed into all of our rooms, not just the 24 Superior rooms which is being looked into.

I thank you for bringing these to my attention and hope you do stay with us again in the future to see for yourself the improvements we are working on and making.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed at The Rydges Hobart 20th-21st Jan. Good Location, just north of town so nice and quiet but only 2-3 mins from town. Rooms clean, tidy and spacious but slightly old fashioned which added to the character. Comfortable bed, and good choice of breakfast options. Staff friendly and helpfull. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Harveyanddeb

Good Afternoon Harveyanddeb,

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team friendly and the location of the hotel so close to town.

We do receive a great deal of fantastic feedback about the Rydges Dream Beds and our Executive Chef will be thrilled to hear your feedback about the breakfast, something he has been working hard on to improve.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

The hotel publishes that it is 15minutes from the centre, it is much longer and in reference to the size of Hobart is far from the centre. Rooms are not clean. Given it does get very hot in summer days such as when I was in Hobart, there is no AC or fan. The staff had no training which meant the only reply they had was - we don't have this in any room of the hotel. No wifi. The hotel itself is in the opposite end of where all the bars and resturants which is by unhandy.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Flying-mnky
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Good Morning Flying-mnky

It was very disappointing to read that you really didn't enjoy your stay with us because some of our our rooms don't have air conditioning and that you felt we were too far from town. We do have 24 Superior rooms which have air conditioning and I will ensure the entire team are fully aware of this at our next meeting. It would be great to have air conditioning in every room and is something we are looking into on a company level.

Unfortunately I am unable to assist with the location of the hotel but would like to mention that we do have 105 free car parking spots and are away from the hustle and bustle of town

I do hope you give us the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart on your next visit so you can see for yourself the improvements we are making on an ongoing basis.

Kind regards'

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Stayed in Hobart for one night with 2 friends. The antique double twin suite is aptly named - being very tired and old. As a contradiction, the beds were excellent. The accommodation is not conveniently located and not in easy walking distance to anywhere we wanted to go.
After receiving directions on how to get to our suite, it turned out to be a bit of a feat to actually find the suite. Upon reporting a faulty top window to our sitting room that couldn't be closed and secured, the night manager inspected and dismissed it and did not offer to move us to another suite. We were forced to endure a night feeling insecure and worried if intruders would climb through the window, as well as putting up with the cold air coming through the open window.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bonnie512

Dear Bonnie 512,

It was great to read that you found the beds to be excellent. We do receive a lot of fantastic feedback about the Rydges Dream Beds but was disappointed to read that you didn't receive any action from the night manager. I will be following this up at our next morning meeting with the heads of department and implementing strategies to ensure this type of thing does not reoccur.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

On arrival, we were pleasantly surprised with the size of our two bedroom suite. It was very spacious. But once we had a close look, we were disappointed with the facilities and the cleanliness. Prior to arrival, I contacted the hotel and was informed that our suite would have a microwave, a coffee plunger, and everything necessary for cooking. However, we only found one small pot and one small frying pan in the kitchen. In the end, as we were staying for 8 nights, we went and bought a pot, a pan and other necessary things (if you are lucky, you might find these we left behind). There were only two dining chairs for three of us. The suite was generally clean, but in corners, especially on the stairs, we could see built-up dust. I doubt the room was vacuumed during our 8 night stay and the linen was never changed. We also had to take a shower without any light for three nights as the maintenance was not available over the weekend. The hotel has a good pool and sauna, but it was disappointing that there was no spa (there was a sign for spa but no spa). The staff was OK and the room was very reasonably priced. So on average, we were happy with the hotel and we may go back again next year as long as we can get good facilities!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Pengapa

Good Morning Pengapa,

I am disappointed that you were not happy with your overall stay here in Hobart. Cleanliness of the hotel is something we have been working hard to ensure happens and I, myself check five random rooms per day as an extra measure.

I will follow up with my Executive Housekeeper to ensure the rooms are being vacuumed and the linen and towels are being changed as per our hotel policy.

Unfortunately, we had to remove the spa due to ongoing issues but have replaced it with new gym equipment and have had the pool and surrounding area refurbished.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We recently stayed for 4 nights at the Rydges Hotel Hobart - what an excellent experience with such immensely helpful staff - Michael (chef), Stephen, Fiona and Danny - who made our stay in Tasmania a more enjoyable stay. This is a great hotel, very soft comfortable beds, lovely restaurant (we ate herE 2 nIghts out of 4) and wonderful staff. We stay in many hotels around the world and this is one of the best!!
It is only 2 km from the centre of town, quiet and accessible.
We recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: Soft comfortable beds, great service
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2012

Dear deborahG255100,

Well, this is truly a great way to start my working day. I am extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's always nice to receive positive feedback and will be sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the team, particularly Michael, Stephen and Fiona.