“Great Service”

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 3 June 2012

After a recent holiday in tasmania my wife and i stayed at rydges hobart. We would like to recognise the service from Stephan and Luis in the bar and restraunt , as well as Shauna Hatty and Amber in reception.The service given by these staff members was excelent. To them offering help and service was not a task but a pleasure.We had only booked one nights accomadation but instead stayed six nights at different times on our holiday. The dream beds were so comfortable the food great, For the price it was realy great accomodation, on our next trip to tasmania we will be returning to Rydges Hobart.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Its always such a pleasure to hear when our guests enjoy their stay with us and the team extend the type of hospitality we ask of them. I must admit, I do receive a lot of this type of feedback from our guest impressions cards which I guess, means we are getting it right.

The Rydges Dream Beds are fantastic and are high on the list of number of positive feedback responses I receive. They are actually so good, I bought one for home and its true, I now get the best night's sleep ever.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges hobart in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Hotel Hobart

Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed in the antique suite and would like to post both a warning and recommendation. The bed has an antique wooden frame and this means it was designed for smaller people. I would not advise anyone over 5'10 to choose it as they would find the foot board very annoying. Conversely the bed is quite high so it is a good choice for individuals who need to sit to both get into or out of bed due to reduced mobility.

The suite is large. There is room in the kitchen area to store bikes, a large pusher or huge back packs without causing any inconvenience.

The room lacks a coffee table and I see this as a serious oversight as there is nowhere to put drinks when watching the TV, for a room as large as this it is a complete lack of amenity.

I enjoyed my stay and will consider returning. I enjoyed the quiet, good car parking and the cheerful staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at Rydges Hobart. I will definately look into the coffee table point but I need to be mindful that in the majority of our rooms we have a queen size Murphy bed (fold out bed from the cupboard) which make these rooms ideal for families. When the Murphy beds are down, we would then need to find room for the coffee table, chairs and other pieces of furniture in the lounge area.

The ample free on site parking is always a bonus for all of our guests and being five minutes out of town takes you away from that hustle and bustle of city noise.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the very near future.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

We initially chose this hotel because of the "Rydges" brand. As soon as we walked in, we found the furniture and room was old and dirty. I would compare the room to a cheap back-packers hotel (but not as bad as a hostel). Example, I filled a glass from in the kitchenette whilst marveling at the food and miscellaneous substance splatters on the walls and the dirty tiles, when I looked down at the coaster and found that the coaster my glass had been sitting on (lip down) was covered in stains and had been in service for a long time. After having a healthy dry retching session, I drove to the store and stocked up on bottled water. Surely replacing 4 coasters isn't going to break the bank. I did book the room via Hotels.com for $109 - so perhaps it's only a special room saved for those who book online. I have attached photos of this appalling excuse for a room for your

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
1  Thank MrComicBookGuy
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

I was so disappointed to read about your experience whilst staying with us because the housekeeping team have been working so hard to keep the rooms clean, even having one of the maintenance guys on his hands and knees cleaning floor tiles.

I will speak with my executive Housekeeper and have her ensure that all the coasters and surrounding areas are being cleaned as they should be, and I will be personally checking the rooms to make sure it is being done.

I hope to welcome you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future so you can see for yourself the ongoing improvements we are making at the hotel.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed at rydes over the Easter weekend from Perth. We were very diss appointed with the hotel. We could not get into our room as our card didn't work.. They had to get a maintenance man out twice....Everytime we wanted to get into our room we had to go to reception and wait for the girls to. Ome unlock our door... We left very early on Monday morning we told the reception lady the day before and settled the bill... We couldn't gain access to main hotel and with my four yr old and elderly mother waiting in 2 degrees I had to walk in the dark around the outside of the hotel to gain access!!! Then when I questioned the nan at reception he told me it had nothing to do with him !!!! Not impressed! Also a jumper went missing from our room! I refused to let cleaners back in after this.. I sent a letter of complaint to rydges main office and never received any response!!! So this is the next best thing!!!

• Stayed: April 2012

Hi, I am not quite sure why your key wouldnt have worked yet when reception came down to let you in the key worked. Normally, it is a battery issue that stops the keys from working and once the batteries are changed, the keys work every time. This is something I will look into with the maintenance team.

I apologise for you not having access through the rear of the building but for the safety of the staff and our guests, the building is locked down at night and the only access through the front door.

About your jumper, could you please contact me at the hotel and I will look into this further. It seems very much out of sorts as all of my housekeeping team have been with me for quite some time and it is extremely rare to hear of this type of thing.

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention.

regards

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I am a regular traveller around Tasmania for my job. I had been here earlier and had found it lacking but after reading someone's else's review on here saying try again I thought I would. I rang the motel and let them know what I wanted from my regular motel I travel to Hobart for A few nights every three weeks I want a place that remembers me and my likes I stayed in the main part of the complex in a heritage room very nice, comfortable bed and cosy feel. The front of house staff go above and beyond. going that extra step to make me feel welcome. The food is delightfully freshly cooked breakfast to order along with lovely fresh fruit and pastries when I return at the end of my work days work I return to friendly smiley staff I will be returning very glad I gave a second chance they have won my loyalty

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Thank you for giving us another chance and so pleased that you are happy you did so. The team have been working hard to achieve and exceed our guests expectations and based on the feedback I am receiving, we are definately heading in the right direction.

Like yourself, many of our guests stay with us on a regular basis and all compliment on the friendliness of the team and how they are always recognised and welcomed with a smile.

I will pass on your feedback to the team, I know chef will be happy to hear about your breakfast experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in a few weeks.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel over Easter for a period of 10 nights. When we arrived, the reception lady was really nice. It was 10pm at night and after travelling from Perth, it was a nice friendly face. We went to room and from there it was all down hill. Being a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children), I specially asked for a room that kitchen facilities. I even contacted the hotel several times before arriving to confirm I had the correct room to suit our family. I immediately went back to reception and said, I think we have the wrong room. She said no, did I have a microwave in the room. We did and she said that’s what the kitchens have. A microwave doesn’t count as a kitchen! Over the coming days, I was given an electric hot plate with one pot. I’m a pretty talented mum, but not that talented I can cook in one pot!

We went to bath the kids, as it was fairly late, only to discover that even though our room had 4 beds, we only had 2 towels. I called reception and she informed me that housekeeping was closed and there was nothing she could do. That’s not acceptable. If you know there are 4 people going into the room, it should be catered for 4 people.

We ordered room service one night for the kids. What a mistake that was. The chicken strips were so dehydrated that one of my kids wouldn’t even touch it! Their meals also came with a sundae and a soft drink. These didn’t come and we had to call back for them. Maybe it’s a Tasmanian thing, but I have never had a sundae served on a plate. And a sundae isn’t just icecream, it has a toping.

We were at the hotel over Easter and I can’t believe that at breakfast or even on the counter of Reception, they didn’t even have a bowl of Easter eggs. There were so many kids staying at the hotel (most of them from Perth as we were there for a dancing competition) and there was not an Easter egg in site. Very poor effort, when heard from other dancing friends also from Perth who were staying at another hotel and had Easter bunny’s at their door in the morning.
House cleaning was average. Two kids make a fair amount of mess and the carpets weren’t even vacuumed.

The most disappointing thing was we picked this hotel because of the name “Rydges”. We have stayed at numerous Rydges Hotels throughout Australia and this was by far the worst. The quality product offered by Rydges Hobart is not to a standard we expected. For the price we paid, I wished we had gone to another hotel. The biggest selling point was the kitchen, but we didn't have that. We would have been better paying the same amount for a nicer hotel, because we ended up eating out most nights because I had not cooking facilities.

Location and view of the hotel is fantastic. But there were just way too many things that let it down.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TheTeam4

I am so disappointed to read about your experience at Rydges Hobart.

We do have 14 Antique Suites in the hotel and all have full cooking facilities but unfortunately only sleep 2 people where our Manor and Superior rooms have kitchenettes and have the ability to sleep 4 due to the fold out Queen size Murphy bed in the lounge room.

I have spoken with the team regarding housekeeping not putting enough towels in the room and the front office not assisting with this. Systems have been implemented to ensure this type of thing does not happen again. I have also spoken with the Executive Housekeeper in relation to the room not being vacuumed and she will take this up with her team.

I have also spoken with the relevant department heads regarding the Easter eggs as I know I personally arranged to have two boxes of eggs for that specific reason. Unfortunately, I was away on business over this period and it didnt happen.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention and I certainly hope you decide to give us another chance on your next trip to Hobart so you can see for yourself the efforts being made to improve our service levels.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for a couple of days. The hotel itself is a little bit old fashioned, but the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the bed was very comfortable. What made this visit special was the staff. The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful during our stay, but I feel that I must give a special mention to Steven- Barman and waiter. He went out of his way to be helpful and he was very knowledgeable about the history of the hotel itself and the surrounding area. We did not have dinner in the hotel , but we did have breakfast on two of the mornings, and these were excellent.The city itself is only a short walk away from the hotel.We will be back again, hopefully in the very near future.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Rydges Hobart and I will definately pass on your feedback to Stephen and the rest of the team at our next morning meeting.

Our Rydges Dream Beds receive a huge amount of fantastic feedback with one of our guests wanting to take one home.

Perhaps on your next visit you will get the opportunity to have dinner in the Manor Grill where I believe we deliver the best steaks in Hobart.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future.