“Did not live up to expectations” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges Hotel Hobart

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
Ballandean, Australia
“Did not live up to expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

When we first saw our room we were disappointed - it was not of the standard your website or the Rydes name had led us to expect. The place was generally clean and the bed was comfortable but the room had a strange layout and the decor and furnishings were quite dated without being particularly stylish. There were some areas around the kitchenette and bathroom benches which were not clean at all, issues with opening and closing the curtains due to missing or broken fixings, and the only heating was in the lounge rather than the bedroom.

My husband was very disappointed to find that the television was in the lounge (a room we really didn't need) and he wouldn't be able to watch TV whilst lying in bed at night after a day of activities. Thankfully, when he spoke to one of the receptionists she suggested we could open up the pull down bed and lie on that. Not quite the same as lying in bed but it would have to suffice.

We did find all of the staff we dealt with to be welcoming and pleasant and the location turned out to work for us as we had hired a car and it was easy to gain access to whichever road we were travelling on each time we went out.

Whether or not I would recommend your hotel to others would depend upon what their expectations were. At least I can give them a realistic expectation.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
It was disappointing to read that you didnt thoroughly enjoy your stay with us. The feedback I receive about the tv in the bedroom is truly a mixed bag, but many of our guests enjoy having the extra space of a separate lounge room with the Murphy bed. We do have a number of suites which still have the Rydges Dream Beds and the tv's are visible from the bed. If you let us know when you next check in, we will do our best to ensure you receive one of these suites.

It's always nice to hear that the team were welcoming and pleasant and that the location worked well for you. It really is a huge bonus having 105 free car spots on the premises, right in the heart of Hobart.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future, so you can see for yourself the improvements we are constantly making.

Danny Veis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Devonport, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Good clean and well presented. Staff are generally helpful with one particular receptionist who went out of her way to go that extra mile. Rooms large and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CME50
, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
One of the main things I try to focus on with the team is to be cosistantly good, in all aspects of the hotel and that the main goal each and every time is our guest's satisfaction. Reading your feedback, it seems we are definately on the right track and headed in the right direction.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future

Launceston, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

We recently stayed in a Superior King Room. The room was very average and could do from an renovation. We could not help but find that the room never felt clean, it just seemed to always have a layer of dusk on everything and we ended up not even taking our shoes of. On the flip side the staff was amazing. They were very friendly and went out of their way to help us. The location of this hotel on the other hand wasn't amazing, it was quite a fair way out of the city. This hotel does have the potiental to be a great hotel, maybe after a renvovation thou.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
It was great to read that you found the team to be amazing. As I mentioned in a recent response, the main focus and goal for the entire team at Rydges Hobart is guest satisfaction.

Unfortunately, refurbishments and/or renovations dont happen as quickly as we might like them to, but the cleanliness of the hotel is always paramount in my sights and I check a minimum of five rooms per day to ensure the team are doing their very best to ensure this is happening. It seems I may have missed a room and need lift my game.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the near future so you can see for yourself the improvements we are constantly making to all facets of the hotel.

Danny Veis

Travellers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

My boyfriend and I were very excited upon entering the driveway of the Rydges hotel as we were expecting it to be a wonderful stay after hearing many exceptional comments of the "Rydges" hotel. However, it all changed after we were welcomed by the unfriendly receptionist, who gave us very quick and brief instructions to our room upstairs. We did not feel welcomed at all. Upon entering our room, immediately noticed the poorly furnished rooms. The bathrooms looked very dirty, especially the bathtub (had what appeared to be sticky tape, on the brim and the surface of the bathtub. We were expecting a spa bath as indicated on hotels.com, however, there was none. The kitchen floors were sticky at some areas and overall did not look clean.
We were so dissapointed, that we did not even stay in the hotel for our one night stay, and decided that we'll find another place to stay, even if it meant we were to lose $119. Ended up staying at a beautiful well equiped apartment at Zero Daveys Apartment in Hobart (I would recommend this to all). The next morning we returned to the Rydges hotel and returned our swipe cards. This time it was a different receptionist and again was very dissapointed with how she had treated these two young ladies who wanted to make the receptionist aware of how they had returned to the hotel finding the living room fillled with ants everywhere. Her response was: " Oh, yea, even we get heaps of ants around here (pointing at the reception desk), it's the weather." The two young ladies did not say anythign further and just walked off. I really felt for these young ladies. Very appalled at both their service and the poor quality of their hotels.
Would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cathy t
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
To say I am disappointed to read about your experience with us is an understatement, particularly considering the incredible amount of amazingly positive feedback I normally receive about the cleanliness of our rooms and the friendliness of the enitre team.

I dont really understand the comment from my team member as I spend a lot of time at the front desk and have not seen any ants or the like at all but will definately have my maintenance manager call in the pest control company and have the property sprayed.

Our Presidential Suite and the two Trust Cottages are the only rooms that have spa baths. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will go onto the hotels.com website and ensure this is reading correctly as I really do not want to be misleading any of our guests.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at Zero Daveys and hope that you will give us another chance on your next trip to Tasmania. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart on your next visit with a very different outcome.

Ayr, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

After a recent holiday in tasmania my wife and i stayed at rydges hobart. We would like to recognise the service from Stephan and Luis in the bar and restraunt , as well as Shauna Hatty and Amber in reception.The service given by these staff members was excelent. To them offering help and service was not a task but a pleasure.We had only booked one nights accomadation but instead stayed six nights at different times on our holiday. The dream beds were so comfortable the food great, For the price it was realy great accomodation, on our next trip to tasmania we will be returning to Rydges Hobart.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Danny V, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Its always such a pleasure to hear when our guests enjoy their stay with us and the team extend the type of hospitality we ask of them. I must admit, I do receive a lot of this type of feedback from our guest impressions cards which I guess, means we are getting it right.

The Rydges Dream Beds are fantastic and are high on the list of number of positive feedback responses I receive. They are actually so good, I bought one for home and its true, I now get the best night's sleep ever.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges hobart in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed in the antique suite and would like to post both a warning and recommendation. The bed has an antique wooden frame and this means it was designed for smaller people. I would not advise anyone over 5'10 to choose it as they would find the foot board very annoying. Conversely the bed is quite high so it is a good choice for individuals who need to sit to both get into or out of bed due to reduced mobility.

The suite is large. There is room in the kitchen area to store bikes, a large pusher or huge back packs without causing any inconvenience.

The room lacks a coffee table and I see this as a serious oversight as there is nowhere to put drinks when watching the TV, for a room as large as this it is a complete lack of amenity.

I enjoyed my stay and will consider returning. I enjoyed the quiet, good car parking and the cheerful staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at Rydges Hobart. I will definately look into the coffee table point but I need to be mindful that in the majority of our rooms we have a queen size Murphy bed (fold out bed from the cupboard) which make these rooms ideal for families. When the Murphy beds are down, we would then need to find room for the coffee table, chairs and other pieces of furniture in the lounge area.

The ample free on site parking is always a bonus for all of our guests and being five minutes out of town takes you away from that hustle and bustle of city noise.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Hobart in the very near future.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We initially chose this hotel because of the "Rydges" brand. As soon as we walked in, we found the furniture and room was old and dirty. I would compare the room to a cheap back-packers hotel (but not as bad as a hostel). Example, I filled a glass from in the kitchenette whilst marveling at the food and miscellaneous substance splatters on the walls and the dirty tiles, when I looked down at the coaster and found that the coaster my glass had been sitting on (lip down) was covered in stains and had been in service for a long time. After having a healthy dry retching session, I drove to the store and stocked up on bottled water. Surely replacing 4 coasters isn't going to break the bank. I did book the room via Hotels.com for $109 - so perhaps it's only a special room saved for those who book online. I have attached photos of this appalling excuse for a room for your

Room Tip: Go elsewhere