Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ednam House(Hobart)
Graham Apartments(Hobart)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
All reviewsmain buildingfootball ovalelizabeth streetold buildingsitting roomquiet locationold world charmold styleshort drivelarge bathroombed was very comfortablecity centrebreakfast was includedhire carfree parkingmicrowavemanor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is supposed to be an great anniversary celebration for me and my wife, but as the matter fact, this was far beyond disappointment.
If you expect that the hotel's room is going to be better than your own living space, which usually people do think they will find a better place to relax, then...you are wrong!.
This place was giving us a bad thought at the beginning on our arrival, It is an old mansion or whatever you call it, but as a hotel?, come on!, at least there's some effort to maintain of what they going to call it a "HOTEL", it's worst than motel!, they don't wash their kettle, spoons, and even vacuuming, very dusty!
That is why, there's no refund or cancellation once you booked this hotel, because they know people are not gonna like it during their stay, meaning would be the guest's misery.
On the promotion photos, you can see a very nice looking bedroom, with the telescope!, and guess what, the telescope is broken!.
one more thing, as normally other people do, they going to explore the city, try to find a nice cafe and restaurants, same thing like us, we going out to have a dinner, and back again to this "hotel" at 9pm, and guess what again??....!!
the main front door was locked!, have to buzz, worst part is the person who opened the door, wasn't with smile and not even say sorry or something, is it normal for hotel to lock main door? even for security?
Rydges have a lot of nice place to stay, but don't know why they have a really bad one like this one.

Room Tip: just try to avoid these experience
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lang K
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Had a night here with a work colleague and I must say soon as I walked into my room I wanted to walk out! It is an old establishment which just hasn't been upgraded. There is an old musty smell through the rooms and the furnishings and room itself is that old wooden decore that I went out in the early 80's. Seriously the room was actually very dim and depressing. I went and checked the gym and swimming pool out and the pool was half filled with water and filthy I know it was swimming season but you would think they would keep the pool clean so it at least looked good. Now for the gym comprising of a couple of exercise machines well I couldn't believe how dirty and I filthy it was. Do your self a favour do not stay here!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Joey60_13
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Sometimes our expectations are simply not met by the realisation that the whole may be less than the sum of its evident parts. Such proved to be the case with Rydges at North Hobart.

My partner and I spent three nights there in late October. On first look - albeit online - it gave the impression of being a moderately priced, comfortable place to base our three days' Derwent and Huon adventure. Right from get-go, though, it was something less than we had hoped. We drove in to a lovely old property (the one-time Blind, Deaf and Dumb school) only to be met by a coldly efficient reception; everything was done smoothly and painlessly... but totally devoid of personality and with almost no eye contact.

Initial room impression was great, mainly due to the South-Easterly aspect looking out across the city of Hobart and across the magnificent river. The unit itself was a mini apartment, having two bedrooms, one with twin beds and the other, a bed-sit, with a QS, lift into the wall bed, a dining table and comfortable chairs. Between the two main rooms were a large bathroom and a small but reasonably equipped kitchenette.

The letdown had mainly to do with the big bed. It was simply not up to standard with a 'flat' mattress that lacked any give, laying on a timber base. It could be best described as hard and unyielding. Housekeeping needed a lift. The round, stained timber coffee table had dust or some sort of powder on it, the shower curtain had not been changed for some time (was soap stained) and the cold tap over the vanity dripped constantly. Something further that disappointed was no menu for the restaurant in the room - we ate out and/or self-catered, the latter also applying to breakfast when we saw that a continental breakfast would cot $18 each!

Finally, and an item of irritation rather than disquiet (!), while the rest of the world has standard TV channel settings such as 21, 24, 30, 5, 6, 8, etc, Rydges had their own unique set of numbers that related to absolutely nothing... and were different each night!

As a professional couple, both involved in customer relations and customer satisfaction through our long working lives, the overall score level we could apply is 2. The most disappointing aspect is that, with just a little modicum of additional effort, it may well have been 4.

Our suggestion is perhaps Rydges' management might spend a night staying in their own beds and units. It ought to tell an important story.

Room Tip: Room 24 had a great outlook
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Booked the Rydges as part of a business trip. Arrived and checked in only to find that I had to lug my 20kg bag outside, up and around a footpath and up a flight of stairs to get to my room. I write this review as I attempt to sleep here for (thank god) only one night.

The TV isn't in the main bedroom and there are two dirty chairs to sit on. The door is rattling and the 'king' bed is two singles pushed together - gotta love the hard line in the middle where the two mattresses meet.

Made another mistake by ordering room service - $18 for a squid salad entree, which consisted of 5 thin strips of fried squid and a handful of salad leaves.

Not what I expected from Rydges - I travel in WA for work a lot and this hotel is of similar standard, although the rooms are bigger, to a roadside motel in Geraldton or Port Hedland.

Needless to say won't be booking here again... Might have to push one of the chairs up against the door to stop the rattling, long enough to get some sleep.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cazvee
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Rydges should be embarrassed by this hotel. OK, it's older style, but that is not an excuse for daggy, sad and tired old uncomfortable chairs, very dated furnishings, carpet and curtains. Rooms were large but dingey and depressing. Bed was extremely comfortable and linen nice and clean. Kitchen cupboard housing the crockery was grotty... Some of the glasses were actually stuck by the rims to the bottom of it; I wouldn't use them. Breakfast was good but beware the pricing structure - $18 for continental and $24 for full...and tea and coffee were considered part of the continental; meaning that $12 eggs from the menu jump up to $24 if you add a cup of coffee! And it was crook coffee. We opted for breakfast at local cafes. Restaurant has NIL ambience and a pleasant but uninspiring menu. I'm sure there are better places to stay in Hobart.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family