“"Utter disappointment"” 1 of 5 bubbles

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
“"Utter disappointment"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Totally agree with "What a Dump" - I have stayed at 3 Star motels that totally outshine this place. Dirty, old room and in definite need of an upgrade. It put a total downer on an otherwise fantastic trip. Hated the room - saying it was feral is putting it mildly. Rydges need to update their website and show more genuine images instead of the misleading stuff currently being displayed. I will never stay at another Rydges hotel after this experience.

Room Tip: Would not recommend - totally disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jane C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Balnarring, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

As a Rydges Priority Guest we received a great discount and our room was upgrade from a superior twin (with dreambeds) to a family room (no dream beds). Our first impressions of the family room was it was not up to the Rydges standard and it looked a little "tired". It seemed more of a budget hotel room than a Rydges hotel room however the rate was commensurable with the room. As it was situated at the front of the property and on the ground floor we thought we would retain the room upgrade for the first night and decide in the morning if we wanted our originally booked room type. Even though the beds were not great (suggest beds are upgraded to dream beds) and some of the decor was in need of repair, we enjoyed the location and size of the room, so decided to remain in the family room for the rest of our stay (total 8 nights).
As we had a package deal, breakfast and dinner included, it was definitely great value for money and this would be the main basis for my recommendation to stay at this hotel. It was in a great location, approx a 20 min walk to the CBD, $10,00 via taxi, the food and customer service was excellent and the property had a lot of historical appeal.
So, if you want great value for money then I highly recommend Rydges Hobart, but if you are looking for 4-5 star accommodation I would suggest you look elsewhere.
I will definitely be staying there again and will be recommending it to my friends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Room was dirty, run down and they hadn't switched on the heating before I arrived. Lock on the door didn't even work. Neighbours got home at 12.30 am and woke everyone up, then snored the rest of the night. Walls so paper thin you could hear everything. Room service guy was so rude. Booked online and clearly didn't read the reviews beforehand. The place is feral and in need of a major upgrade - Rydges management please note.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Ipswich, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed at Rydges Hobart for 3 nights....my granddaughter was playing hockey in the under 15 Australian Championships....we required a hotel close to the fields which it was.... We did hire a car so the distance to good restaurants and town was not a problem for us...we stayed in a family room which had a lovely view right out to the ocean.....our bed was terrible....in desperate need of a new mattress....my daughter and granddaughters beds where really good....we did not spend much time in our room, only to sleep ..... and as the rates were very reasonable....nothing to complain about here

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hobart, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I am very disappointed. Am I staying at a rydges hotel? I arrived at the hotel and was not greeted at door, I struggled to get my bags up the steps and then through the small door. Then reception locked and un attended... I needed to go to the bar.
i was given a map on how to get to my room. Which I then struggled to find at night. I was then not impressed when I had to carry two bags up two flight of steps. I had to do this in two lots, so one bag was left un attended. Then I had trouble opening the door. Which resulted in leaving my bags to go to reception. Initially was just told how to open the door...so requested help, which I did receive.
The room another issue. Bedside lights look dirty and one broken, room Very shabby AND Does not look like the picture on net , Shower dirty, Dead bug on wall Poor lighting through out...I am very disappointed. Receptionist friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I booked this on line. I always read the reviews of places, but this time got distracted and didn't. Said it was within walking distance from town, leisurely stroll. I don't think so! It took us more than 30 minutes at quite a brisk pace to walk into town.

The room itself was disgusting. The floors were filthy, and I am not sure the tiles had ever been mopped. Thank goodness we both had flip flops we could walk around in. The rooms were old and badly need to be done up. The bed was supposed to be 'extra' comfort but both of us had to get up and take paracetamol as our backs were so sore the next morning.

We decided to eat at the bar and again - another mistake. I found the staff rude, unhelpful and the whole thing was like an episode of Faulty Towers. Read the reviews! I wish I had...

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is a hotel we visited in March 2014.The curtain rail fell onto the bed. The pulldown bed we slept on for two nights was dirty and ripped. The manager was unavailable from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning when we departed. The drawers were dirty, the freezer compartment of the fridge was broken and there was an opened carton of milk in the fridge. The bathroom suffered from broken tiles, mildrew and dirt. The receptionist lodged the curtain rail so we had privacy from the communal walkway and prepared the pulldown bed for sleeping. There was no other person available.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends