“Tired decor- the only saving grace is the bed and pillows”

Rydges Hotel Hobart
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
Singapore, Singapore
“Tired decor- the only saving grace is the bed and pillows”
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I was looking forward to staying at the Rydges as I was recommended by a colleague to stay here for my work trip.

To my surprise, when I entered the room it didn't have the antique, periodic charm that other reviewers had experienced!. The layout of my twin room was awkward, with the room segmented with a large wardrobe when you first walk in before splitting into a corridor with a kitchen and a door for the bathroom. The living room area was furnished with two uncomfortable mismatching chairs, away from the beds. To add insult to injury, the ceilings were thin as I could hear people in the room above having a shower.

The main saving grace is the staff who are polite and friendly and the comfort of the pillows & bed.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
australia
Reviewed 7 November 2010

The room furniture was a disgrace. Looked like they picked up their furniture from the local tip. Creaky front door and old furry wooden furniture. I believe the residences were an old nursing home. On the plus side TV and bed were modern but they forgot about the rest. Bar was very comfortable. Look elsewhere in Hobart for the price.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Stayed at this Hotel on a weekend, and while other reviews have not complimented this place, I found it to be very nice. Although the furniture could use an update, bathroom was very well appointed and clean, linen excellent. Ate in the restaurant and found staff to be very friendly and informed. Food was excellent, although the menu is a little light on for choice, quality was in abundance. The "wine and dine" package was excellent value if you intend to eat in.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
styson, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 30 October 2010
Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff do try very hard to be accommodating. We hope to improve the standard of the furniture in the rooms in the coming months. Our restaurant will be undergoing an exciting new format in late November, including a more extensive menu offering. We hope you'll come back and stay with us again.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2010

My husband and I decided to go to Hobart for our 20th wedding anniversary last week and chose Rydges hobart as we had stayed there many times in the past however not in the last 8 years since we moved back to the mainland. I read the reviews on here and wished I had listened to the comments but we were blinded by previous experiences and nostalgia.
When we arrived we were shown to a room way out the back of the hotel which was meant to be an antique suite, definitely not how we remembered them, my husband went to reception and we were moved into an antique suite in the main building. When we walked in it was obvious we had made a big mistake, there was a 10cm rip on the couch with the stuffing hanging out and one of the chairs in the room had the leg hanging off it, which we didn't sit on as it was very unsafe. We did mention this to reception and the response we got was that 'yes the hotel is becoming a bit tired'' but the chair was not removed which I thought could be a big liability to the hotel chain had someone been injured sitting on the chair.
The heating was poor and for the hobart climate I would expect to come back to our suite and be able to feel warm instead of sitting with a blanket wrapped around me to keep warm.
I will say the bed was extremely comfortable and one of the best I have slept in whilst being on holidays, however not a king size as advertised on the website.
I thought breakfast for $24 each was steep and we ate out for half that price at a cafe down the road.
The service during our stay was adaquate however we rang twice prior to booking on a couple of occasions to ask some questions and we never recieved a phone call after being guarenteed a manager would ring us the next day. The warning bells should of rung then as they obviously care little about their potential guests. A disappointing stay and would look at alternative accomodation when staying in hobart agian.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
styson, General Manager at Rydges Hotel Hobart, responded to this review, 3 November 2010
Thank you for your feedback - disappointing as it is. I fully appreciate how let down you must have felt with such vivid memories in your mind. We have recently had quite a few changes in staff and are experiencing some teething problems while training continues. This is no excuse for a phone call not being returned though, so I do apologise. We hope to upgrade the furniture in our antique suites in the coming months, but you are correct that the chair in your room should have been attended to immediately. This is something I have addressed with both reception and maintenance staff.

I'm glad you enjoyed a good night's sleep in our Dream Bed - certainly an improvement since 8 years ago, I'm sure you'll agree.

Being a heritage listed building of a certain age, heating can be an issue. We do have extra heaters available for anyone that needs them, a phone call to reception will quickly fix this problem.
For $24 our guests enjoy a full continental breakfast including a range of cereals, juices, breads & pastries, various fruits, yoghurt, meats and cheeses, tea and coffee and a selection of hot plated dishes. By making a booking on our Rydges website with breakfast included, you get all of this for just $15 per person - even less if you join up to become a Rydges Priority Guest.

Again, I am sorry that your expectations were not met for your special occasion, but I can assure we are endeavouring to rectify all of the issues you addressed.

Tasmania
Reviewed 13 October 2010

A friend and I stayed at Rydges, Hobart for 3 nights earlier this week, in one of the King Manor Rooms. We were required to travel to Hobart from Launceston for a minor medical procedure, and decided that we may as well enjoy a more luxurious pamper trip at the same time. We chose Rydges as our destination, as we believed the Rydges brand to equate to quality, and the Hobart location advertises swimming pool, spa and sauna, in line with our decision to enjoy a stay away for a few nights from husbands and children.

The moment we walked in we were dissapointed. The floor of the kitchenette had crumbs and dirt on it, obvious black marks along the walls, greasy dusty fans in the kitchenette and bathroom. Dust on the walls and cupbaords, hair in the bed and a quilt cover that had dried food and oil stains on it from a previous occupant.

After our inital shock, we proceeded to the spa and sauna area, to find that the spa no longer exists, and the sauna was not turned on, our access cards would not allow us into the pool. Upon making an enquiry we were advised by reception that due to the time of year the pool is closed. We were not advised via the Rydges web page prior to making payment for our room that these advertised facilities were not available for our use. (given the nature of our trip, one of the reasons why we selected Rydges in the first place)

We discoverd, to some delight, a MediaHub in our room, so decided to request the appropriate cables at reception as the card in our room instructed. Upon request we were advised by rectption that they did not have any cables and assured us that we would have some by 1pm the following afternoon. When we proceeded to enquire on the promised cables the following afternoon, the second reception staff member had not even been aware that we were waiting for them, and advised that they were currently all being used by other visitors, but would follow up and locate them for us.........we received no further follow up from this staff member either, so enquired the next day, and the third reception staff member advised us they have never had any cables, and guests are meant to bring their own.

Our impressions at this point were that the staff will tell you anything to make you go away, so they can pretend you dont even exist.

I cant express how dissappointed we truly are. Our experience with Rydges was entirely unsatisfactory, and the room, facilites and staff follow up has failed to meet even the most basic of expectations,

I would encourage anyone considering a stay with this hotel, to look at other alternatives. I stay in Hobart often, and can advise that through Wotif, or bookings.com that you will find rooms at the Grand Chancellor or the Casino for the same price as Rydges or only a few dollars more, the rooms at these hotels far exceed in cleanliness and quality, and their staff that actually care about their paying customers enough to ensure they follow through on their commitments, and they too have swimming pools and spas.
If you are looking for larger family size rooms, the Salamanca Inn and the Woolstore offer wonderful larger family rooms, the Salamanca Inn also has an indoor pool and spa which are readily available for patrons use.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. We have recently undergone considerable changes in staffing and in facilities. Staff training is ongoing and the poor service you encountered from our newest staff with regard to in room media has been addressed. We have a limited number of cable packs available and on the occasion you were staying the guests using them extended their stays, making them unavailable. I have ordered more sets, so this problem will be rectified. Our staff should have been more diligent in keeping you informed.

I have also brought your feedback regarding room cleanliness to the attention of the housekeepers and am working with them to ensure this does not happen again.

While the spa has been removed, we will be installing a gym in the near future. The pool is open during the Summer months as being outdoor, there is little demand during winter in Hobart - we do offer passes to the Aquatic centre instead. The sauna is available for guest use at any time and the instructions are clearly displayed at the entrance. All signage and advertising is currently being updated to reflect changes.

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing stay at Rydges Hobart. I can assure you we are doing everything we can to rectify the problems you have addressed and our staff care greatly about our guests enjoyment.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2010

My husband used to stay here regularly some 15 years ago, got a very good rate for 2 nights with breakfast so thought we would take a trip down memory lane. Worst decision ever, I don't believe they have done a thing to this hotel in 15 years! including giving it a good clean. The rooms were dirty, the bathroom floor tiles cracked, no bath mat, the couch was well past worn, as were the curtains. The staff are very apathetic to your needs, this used to be a nice hotel, such a pity that it has dropped to such a low level, I will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rocloc
Thankyou for your feedback.
I'm sorry you had such a disappointing stay with us. We are by no means a modern hotel, but we endeavour to offer the best service and very clean rooms. I am surprised to read you believe our staff are apathetic as many of them are new and very keen to offer assistance. They are often complemented on their brilliant service.

I have addressed your comments with the house keeping staff and can assure you that your feedback has been taken on board. We anticipate an upgrade to furniture and facilities in the near future and maintenance is an ongoing focus.

I hope you better enhoy your next visit to Hobart, I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Christchurch
Reviewed 15 September 2010

This is the place if you are simply over minimalist, clinical, and bland hotels where you struggle to know if you've even been noticed let alone welcomed, and believe me I've stayed in many.
Its a breathe of fresh air, fascinating with the architecture, antiques and good old fashioned reliable service.
My 'room' (bedroom/living, bathroom, separate kitchen) was spacious, clearly English themed with antiques, and a very very comfortable 4 poster bed. Just when I thought they forgot the flat screen, internet connections and phone etc, there they were -yummy..
Kitchen - mine anyway - was decor dated in the 1980's but fun. And this was no 'galley' kitchen.... in other words "tinsy".... but large enough to swing several cats, very clean, well serviced, and well stocked.
Ditto bathroom.

Location fab (thank Heaven) for a navigationally challenged 'kiwi' like myself to find in a rental car.

Thanks everybody, I really look forward to coming back.

Rose Richardson
Christchurch
New Zealand

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Thanks for your feedback Rose.
We enjoyed having you to stay as much as you enjoyed being here. You certainly summed up the appeal of Rydges Hobart - clinical we are not!
The majority of our rooms are extremely spacious - escpecially the Antique rooms with their high ceilings and half canopy beds. The antique furniture provides a very individual experience, which can't be found in modern hotels.
All of the rooms have kitchenettes and flat screen TV's and are serviced daily, making Rydges a very comfortable home away from home.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hobart in the future.