“Disappointed, Overpriced”

Best Western Hobart
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed here for one night at the end of a trip away. Payed extra for a room with a spa for a relaxing way to end our trip. What we found in our bathroom was extremely disappointing.
Expecting a nice, big, clean luxurious spa, we encountered what I wouuld describe as hardly a bath, with shower overhead and mould surrounding all the "spa" jets.
There was also mould elsewhere in the bathroom. This could be attributed to the lack of ventilation in the bathroom so that when you have a shower everything ends up completely saturated from condensation/steam. It took about half an hour for the mirror to clear up afterwards.
We were on the top floor, with a room right at the end of the corridor, so we experienced no noise from adjoining rooms. We could hear a reasonable amount of noise from the street though.
Our room was a king suite, consisting of 2 large sized rooms, one with a king bed, TV etc and the other with a couple of couches and another TV.
The bed was the highlight of the room. Big, comfortable and clean. The 40 inch TV was nice despite the fact the sport channels would not work.
There was also no air conditioning in the room. I understand that these are currently being installed in all rooms, but when paying over $200 a night (a discounted rate), a room should have what I would say basic things such as AC.
Check in staff were very friendly, and tried to resolve my issue with my bathroom by offering me another room, despite the other room being identical to the one we were in. After declining the offer, no other resolution was offered to me.

All in all, far too overpriced for what we received. The bathrooms need addressing urgently as they are a serious letdown to what is otherwise a decent room.
This is more of a $150 max room a night, not $200+

Room Tip: Be sure you know exactly what you are getting for your money!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marsh_aus
sbm1, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear marsh_aus,
I am glad you found our service friendly and enjoyed one of the new luxury beds we have installed in many rooms since we took over this hotel. I am sorry you found the bathroom disappointing; these are on the list of renovations we have yet to complete. Please do visit us again and I am sure you will notice the improvements we are currently working on.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Room was a reasonable size with table and chairs, good size TV, bathroom with bath. Decor is tired and dated however this may improve with new ownership. curtains were effective in keeping the interior dark for a sleepin. Bed and pillows comfortable and clean.
Buffet breakfast not really worth the price. food tasted ok but lacked variety.
I stayed here for 3 nights on a recent business trip however, if I had paid the full room rate myself on a holiday I would have been less than impressed with this hotel. I am sure there are more attractive properties in Hobart than the Best Western.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear lizandpaul14,
Thank you for your comments. We have been busy renovating since we took over this hotel last year and every week we are improving. I hope you can come back and see us in the future to enjoy our refurbished amenities.

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Having not had a great stay at a BW in New Zealand I wasn't looking forward to staying at BW HBA following their move from Mercure to BW. But overall it was a good choice, not overly expensive, a good location without being too far from the CBD. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Would I stay here again, sure!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
sbm1, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear A Trip Advisor Member,
It's great to learn that you had a great stay; looking forward to seeing you again next time.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed for two nights over Easter and the hotel was definitely overpriced and under loved. The staff were friendly and the bed was really comfortable but that's the end of the good review. We could hear everything that was going on the the adjoining rooms, the corridor and outside. We hardly slept on Saturday night due to being woken up by a fight outside, a bus picking people up at 4.30am and some bright spark shouting about not hiring a Hertz van to a potential customer from the balcony. Kids were running up and down the corridor and the guest laundry was opposite our room - felt like we were staying in a backpackers hostel not a four star hotel. The attention to detail was also missing. All clocks in the hotel are incorrect, the toilet roll holder was grubby and the lift bangs on arriving on each floor. We paid $430 for two nights with one pizza meal (breakfast was not included) and frankly, I feel like I've just been ripped off. Sure there are better places to stay

Room Tip: A different hotel, but definitely not on the fourth floor near the laundry or any floor near the lif...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear joyful_holidayer,
I am very sorry there were problems during your stay. Our desk is manned 24/7 so if any guests are causing a disturbance we will endeavour to quieten them as soon as we are informed. There is a huge demand over Easter but we do offer some great value deals at other times and I hope you may be able to try one of these.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Booked into one of the larger Queen suites, room was ok, very basic so would not want to see what the basic rooms were like, ok for an overnight business trip but that would be about it, quite close to a nice indian restaurant

Room Tip: Select the upper level rooms as they are a bit quiter
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear yabbie67,
Thanks for the review. There are lots of great places to eat nearby and I am glad you enjoyed the one you chose. Hoping to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

First time I've stayed here normally stay at other hotels in Hobart. It's ok for a night or two, very standard for a best western. Felt clean and gym on ground floor is ok, running machine, bike weights and a rowing machine. I'd stay here if it for a night or two, bit of a walk to Salamanca place, CBS is about 5 mins away

• Stayed: April 2014
sbm1, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Don2156,
Thank you for those kind words. I am glad you liked the gym, which is proving very popular. Hoping to see you next time you are stopping off in Hobart.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Not worth the price you pay for it:
1. TV (local channels) wasn't working and staff claimed it was a temporary issue, though I'm fairly sure it's a reception issue based on the hotel's location. Apparently it's a consolation that you still get Austar, but unless you like sport this is no good.

2. Bathroom ceiling was covered in mould. Yuck.

3. Was woken late one night by two men in the corridor outside my room yelling and swearing at each other, one threatening to kill the other. Though the hotel staff member came up when I called, it still made me feel awfully unsafe knowing this type of thing wasn't prevented. In general, I felt like I could have come in and out of this hotel everyday without staff seeing/noticing.

4. It's 2014 and apparently it's still okay for a big company like Best Western to make its customers pay through the nose for Wi-fi. Get with the times, guys.

If you can find somewhere else, do it. This isn't value for money. It's fine if you really want a standard hotel that has no extra trimmings and you don't mind minimal service but overall, I won't be using Best Western's services again as this was way overpriced for the experience it offered.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
sbm1, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Hobart, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Anna M,
Thanks for taking the time to review us. I am sorry you had some problems and we are addressing the source of these now. It is difficult for us to prevent misbehaviour on the part of inconsiderate guests but I am pleased our staff stopped the unpleasant noise as soon as they were informed. Our reception desk is open 24/7. We also have free hard-wired internet in all guest rooms and I hope you can take advantage of this should you be with us again.