“Not recommended”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hobart
Narrara Backpackers
Ranked #38 of 54 Speciality Lodging in Hobart
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here after doing the Overland Track hike in December 2013. After an incredible but challenging week of hiking we were looking forward to a few basic comforts of a hostel in Hobart. While the manager was friendly and welcoming, the property itself was disappointing and unprofessional.

We were 'upgraded' to a private twin share room which was very small, but the beds were comfortable and we slept well enough.

The bathrooms, kitchen, laundry and shared spaces are old, rundown and dirty. The kitchen is tiny and not equipped to cater for backpackers. The stove and fridge were filthy and looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. There were food scraps and dirt built up under the cooktop that didn't get cleaned in the 3 days we were there and the kitchen was too small to handle more than about 3 people at a time. The fridges were also not equipped to cater for a large number of travellers.

The male bathrooms were old and poorly set up. Whenever the showers were used, the floor would get covered in water and you couldn't walk to the sink without getting wet feet.

The back door led to the laundry and a yard which was run down and dirty. The back area was littered with cigarette butts and even a used condom wrapper next to the back door that wasn't picked up in the 3 days we were there.

Before leaving on the third day, my friend found an old cheeseburger under his bed.

The positives of this property are that it's in a reasonable location close enough to town, it's reasonably quiet and the beds are comfortable. There is also a great organic grocer nearby.

But this place needs a lot of work and I wouldn't recommend it if you could stay elsewhere.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank EarthlyRoamer

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have been staying here for two weeks and it has been the best place I have stayed at with it being close to the main town of Hobart and the main shopping centre also close to the Salamanca Market and the sites are great some guests went to a trip to the Mt trips can be arranged by the owner of the place

Room Tip: I stayed in a two bed room and it was clean the owner is great he chats with Guest and he jokes with...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Brian B
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My friend and I stayed there for one week. The good bunk and hot shower made my sleep sweet.
Heaps windows with fresh air in Room 20. The manager has many good ideas about travelling and is a humorous person.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PollyHsu
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I'm shocked about the good reviews of this site.
Ok if you're chinese (which is absolutly not a problem) you probaly like the place. All the other customers are....
The kitchen has'nt been cleaned in years and don't even think of taking a shower.
We've travelled Australia twice and some places were realy good and some we're realy bad...this place was realy realy bad...so think twice if you book this hostel.....

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed at Narrara Backpackers for 6 nights in a private room with 2 twin beds in it. I had called Mo before hand to ask about the location, quietness, and parking (I had a rental car for a few days) and he was able to answer all my questions. He even held the room for me until I could confirm arrangements with my friend in Launceston who I was meeting in Hobart.

I ended up in Room 8 which was at the end of the hall at the back of the house and very quiet. It had 2 twin beds, a chair, bedside table with lamp, a small clothes rod with a few hangers, and 2 hooks on the wall above one of the beds. Decent sized window gave a view towards Salamanca and provided good air flow. Although small, the room was fine for 2 people with one 35liter bag each - we were out all day, returning to sleep in the evening. Funny thing about the bedside lamp was there was no plug in for it but there was an extension cord so you could either have the lamp on or charge your electronics.

Showers were up one floor. Never had to wait for the showers and there was always hot water. Toilets were down the hall and clean.

The kitchen is the area that needs the most work. It is pretty small and not well ventilated. I think the majority of people staying were travelers who were working in seasonal jobs and as a result had taken up all the room in the 2 fridges. I had a cooler with ice packs that I ended up having to use for my food as there was no room in the 6 days I was there. The cook tops are gas and down right dangerous to light! I had to ask one of the girls working there how to light the thing. I only cooked breakfast and had something hot to drink in the evening. Plenty of dishes and flatware, all clean. Lots of free tea and Milo if you need it.

Eating area is right behind the couches in the lounge and check-in area. Lots of brochures and info around for activities at the front area and in the lounge.

Access after hours is through a side door with a numbered code and worked like a charm.

A few things that could improve the hostel:
The bedrooms could use some more hooks to hang things (not beside the beds) and the floors needed to be vacuumed. Would be good to have easy access to a plug-in to charge electronics - perhaps putting in a power bar would be a solution.
The plastic shower curtains were barely staying up as most of the grommets had been ripped so they could use replacement or reinforcement.
Renovate the kitchen!

Overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would stay again when I am back in Hobart. Good location, close walking distance to everything downtown or easy access to roads leading out to the mountains or ocean. Mo does a great job of making sure you feel welcome and greets you by name each day.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the back of the house.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Heather L
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Set about a 10 slow-minute walk from the city centre, Narrara is a wonderful place for proper travellers to come and spend some. There are other more party-oriented hostels, but for my own preference this place was perfect. The kitchen is large and with huge gas cookers, and is well stocked with cutlery and plates etc. Free tea and coffee are always provided, as is the WiFi. The room wasn't the largest, but it's a hostel with a very homely atmosphere and the beds were comfy so I don't think that's an issue! The owner is just fantastic, I can't say enough kind words about Mo. I needed to do a wash whilst I was there, and had run out of washing powder so he just gave me some - you wouldn't get that in a lot of hostels! He offered to get shopping for anyone when heading to the supermarket to pick up some sugar because the free supply had run out, was always available to talk over any travel options or ideas you had, and remembered the name of practically everyone in the hostel! All in all, a great experience, met some wonderful people and I would highly recommend going back. I know I would :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stuslostinaus
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Moved to this backpackers as I had a rental car. The Brunswick (tassie backpackers) where I spent my first night before I picked up the car was going to be a big hassle for parking.
Good move. Aside from parking the host Mo is the hardest working nicest guy you could meet. The backpackers itself has free wifi, gas ovens which make tea-time preparation enjoyable rather than a chore. The bunks are very comfortable and you can get a good sleep every night.
When my friend and I travelled back from Launceston and he was full (we never booked) Mo gave us a great deal on a private room.
Really diverse people staying too. You can meet other people through Mo to travel with to the local "to dos" if you're travelling alone.
I could easily have rated it five out of five and probably being stingy with 4 :).
Thanks Mo, had a great time!

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep the dorms are fine. People are quiet and considerate. You don't...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo