“A Place to Hang Your Hat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hobart
Narrara Backpackers
Ranked #38 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Hobart
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My wife and I planned to stay in Hobart for a five days. Little did we know that there were two major conventions at the same time and there was very little accommodation at the moderately priced hotels available. We managed to find accommodation at a hotel for two days only, we were fortunate to have assistance from the tourist information in Hobart to find us accommodation at Narrara Backpackers. Mo, the manager put us up in the family suite for two days and then in a two bed room for the remaining night. The other guests were very friendly and the best feature was the free Wi-Fi, albeit limited to the lounge and not the rooms. Hey it wasn't the Ritz but it was comfortable and a place to hang our hats for a few days. It was reasonably priced.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fritzlam

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Narrara Backpackers is situated in central Hobart close to all amenities. Hobart waterfront is about 15 minutes walk from here. The nightlife, tourist information center, eateries are within 10 minutes walking distance. There is no Coles or Woolworths nearby but I heard there were other grocerries.

It's a two storey older building situated in the quiter part of the city. There are a few residential buildings nearby. The main door leads to a cosy lounge/dining area adjoining the kitchen. There is no proper reception desk but a small window at one side of the lounge that works as one. The first thing I noticed after entering was a bunch of travellers hanging out while one was playing a bongo! Mo the manager is a nice friendly guy.

We stayed in a double (Room 10) and a twin (Room 11) on two seperate occasions for $78 per night for the room.

Room: clean and tidy but small. The window can be opened to allow fresh air which is good. Apart from beds, there was a side table with lamp, a smaill wardrobe and a heater. There were fresh towels.
Bed: comfortable and good enough for a good night sleep.
Toilets (Mens) and shower areas: are scattered across ground floor and dowstairs. Toilets are clean, the one downstairs could be cleaner. I think there should be more showers for busy times.
Locker: was no locker available in the room.
Kitchen: was serving the purpose but a bit too small for a hostel. It is a little dirty under the stove tops, corners. The floor in front of the fridges is very sticky. The two fridges were not sufficient and were full, took a bit of shuffling to make some space for our food.
Laundry: have not visited or used so I don't know.
Lounge/Common Area: There are a few couches and two tables with a TV for people to hang out, have food etc. There were lots of tourist info brochures available on the walls.
Internet: Free wifi available but you would be lucky to connect! It doesn't have capacity to connect many users at a time so you will have to sit around in the lounge area and repeatedly hit Connect and hope for the best. The speed was fine once I was able to connect after midnight. There is no reception from rooms either.
Staff: looked like it was managed and run by one person! Mo the manager was doing everything and he is a very friendly, welcoming and humorous guy. Once he cooked some good chicken for eveyone to have which was nice.
Fellow Guests: type of travellers you might encounter are European hikers and push bikers, Japanese and European fruit pickers, campers (like myself). I met a few intersting and unique characters there.

The room and lounge area has enough power outlets where you can charge your electronics.
If you decide to eat outside, you must try The Shamrock Hotel within walking distance. They have incredible $10 pub meals. There is a privately run airport transfer bus stand withing 5 minutes. Tickets are expensive though, $17 one way to the airport.

The hostel has a run down feel as the building is relatively old. With some renovation, scrubbing and better wifi this will tick all the boxes. But nonetheless if you are not too bothered with some of the details, it's a good choice for cheap accommodation with friendly vibe within Hobart CBD area.

Room Tip: Room close to the lounge area might be withing wifi range... then again you would have to be lucky t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank billymeister
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here after doing the Overland Track hike in December 2013. After an incredible but challenging week of hiking we were looking forward to a few basic comforts of a hostel in Hobart. While the manager was friendly and welcoming, the property itself was disappointing and unprofessional.

We were 'upgraded' to a private twin share room which was very small, but the beds were comfortable and we slept well enough.

The bathrooms, kitchen, laundry and shared spaces are old, rundown and dirty. The kitchen is tiny and not equipped to cater for backpackers. The stove and fridge were filthy and looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. There were food scraps and dirt built up under the cooktop that didn't get cleaned in the 3 days we were there and the kitchen was too small to handle more than about 3 people at a time. The fridges were also not equipped to cater for a large number of travellers.

The male bathrooms were old and poorly set up. Whenever the showers were used, the floor would get covered in water and you couldn't walk to the sink without getting wet feet.

The back door led to the laundry and a yard which was run down and dirty. The back area was littered with cigarette butts and even a used condom wrapper next to the back door that wasn't picked up in the 3 days we were there.

Before leaving on the third day, my friend found an old cheeseburger under his bed.

The positives of this property are that it's in a reasonable location close enough to town, it's reasonably quiet and the beds are comfortable. There is also a great organic grocer nearby.

But this place needs a lot of work and I wouldn't recommend it if you could stay elsewhere.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank EarthlyRoamer
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have been staying here for two weeks and it has been the best place I have stayed at with it being close to the main town of Hobart and the main shopping centre also close to the Salamanca Market and the sites are great some guests went to a trip to the Mt trips can be arranged by the owner of the place

Room Tip: I stayed in a two bed room and it was clean the owner is great he chats with Guest and he jokes with...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Brian B
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My friend and I stayed there for one week. The good bunk and hot shower made my sleep sweet.
Heaps windows with fresh air in Room 20. The manager has many good ideas about travelling and is a humorous person.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PollyHsu
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I'm shocked about the good reviews of this site.
Ok if you're chinese (which is absolutly not a problem) you probaly like the place. All the other customers are....
The kitchen has'nt been cleaned in years and don't even think of taking a shower.
We've travelled Australia twice and some places were realy good and some we're realy bad...this place was realy realy bad...so think twice if you book this hostel.....

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed at Narrara Backpackers for 6 nights in a private room with 2 twin beds in it. I had called Mo before hand to ask about the location, quietness, and parking (I had a rental car for a few days) and he was able to answer all my questions. He even held the room for me until I could confirm arrangements with my friend in Launceston who I was meeting in Hobart.

I ended up in Room 8 which was at the end of the hall at the back of the house and very quiet. It had 2 twin beds, a chair, bedside table with lamp, a small clothes rod with a few hangers, and 2 hooks on the wall above one of the beds. Decent sized window gave a view towards Salamanca and provided good air flow. Although small, the room was fine for 2 people with one 35liter bag each - we were out all day, returning to sleep in the evening. Funny thing about the bedside lamp was there was no plug in for it but there was an extension cord so you could either have the lamp on or charge your electronics.

Showers were up one floor. Never had to wait for the showers and there was always hot water. Toilets were down the hall and clean.

The kitchen is the area that needs the most work. It is pretty small and not well ventilated. I think the majority of people staying were travelers who were working in seasonal jobs and as a result had taken up all the room in the 2 fridges. I had a cooler with ice packs that I ended up having to use for my food as there was no room in the 6 days I was there. The cook tops are gas and down right dangerous to light! I had to ask one of the girls working there how to light the thing. I only cooked breakfast and had something hot to drink in the evening. Plenty of dishes and flatware, all clean. Lots of free tea and Milo if you need it.

Eating area is right behind the couches in the lounge and check-in area. Lots of brochures and info around for activities at the front area and in the lounge.

Access after hours is through a side door with a numbered code and worked like a charm.

A few things that could improve the hostel:
The bedrooms could use some more hooks to hang things (not beside the beds) and the floors needed to be vacuumed. Would be good to have easy access to a plug-in to charge electronics - perhaps putting in a power bar would be a solution.
The plastic shower curtains were barely staying up as most of the grommets had been ripped so they could use replacement or reinforcement.
Renovate the kitchen!

Overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would stay again when I am back in Hobart. Good location, close walking distance to everything downtown or easy access to roads leading out to the mountains or ocean. Mo does a great job of making sure you feel welcome and greets you by name each day.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the back of the house.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo