“Wonderful location”
Review of Quest Waterfront

Quest Waterfront
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Spent three nights at the Quest Waterfront in Hobart. The location is terrific, its an easy walk into the city, Salamanca Market, information centre and public transport. The Quest is located across the road from a hotel that has outside dinning and we had concerns that our room would be noisy, but the triple glazing ensured that we didn't hear any noise. We had a room facing the front of the building on the fourth level. The room is narrow and long with one window at the end, therefore the room doesn't receive a lot of natural light. The fixtures and fittings need to be updated, although the room was reasonably clean, some of the fittings are very out-dated. The room could do with a complete refurbishment, but it was acceptable for a short stay. Unfortunately the rooms surrounding us were taken by some interstate school sporting teams and they were consistently running between rooms and knocking on doors and being generally disruptive. It was a pity that the Quest staff didn't allocate the sporting teams to one or two floors so as not to disturb their other guests.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandra B
QuestWaterfront, Front Office Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Sandra B,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. As you noted we certainly are close and in walking distance to all the local attraction with in the heart of Salamanca and the CBD.

I am also pleased to hear that you thought the triple glazed windows do make a difference and help to keep the noise out on some of the busier nights around this area. We are currently in the middle of refurbishment of our rooms as you can appreciate this can be a lengthy process but we are very excited in getting this finished and for the rooms to be updated.

Regarding the Sporting Group staying with us I’m sorry to hear that you feel they were disruptive during you stay. We wish it was certainly an option for bigger groups to be able to stay all on the one floor unfortunately being a smaller establishment we have a mixture of different room types per level and due to this we have to accommodate groups over the different level especially if they require the one room type. However this is certainly something that we will take on board for further Group bookings.

Thank you once again for taking the time to give us this valuable feedback.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed for two nights in room 28 at a nightly rate of AU$155.

The room was clean and very spacious. There wasn't much room to lounge around which suited me as I was in Hobart for two nights for a conference, and didn't spend much time in the room (apart from sleeping of course).

The apartments are located in a quiet waterfront area within 3 minute walk to Salamanca Place and 5 minutes walk from the city centre.

If you're after a cheap and clean place to sleep with no frills, then this place is for you!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AdsMan
QuestWaterfront, Front Office Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear AdsMan,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are pleased you found your room clean and spacious. We are now in the progress of refurbishing our rooms to give them a much needed lift.
We hope that you will consider us again next time you are in Hobart to see this transformation.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Excellent location walking distance to Salamanca Markets and across the road from the MONA ferry. Rooms were ok. Georgie the front of house reception was extremely helpful and friendly. Request room facing away from pub if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Cijj

Dear Cijj,

Thank you for this review. Customer service is very important to us here at Quest Waterfront & was wonderful to here you found our reception staff extremely helpful and friendly.
We hope to see you again on your next visit to Hobart.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I got into Hobart incredibly late due to being diverted to Launceston and then having to bus it to Hobart and the Quest staff member was willing to wait around for me but whoa!!! After over 11.5 hours in the air and on a bus I was then in the mood for a nice room........Well! I can safely say that, after staying in countless hotels week in week out for the past 11 years, this has to be one of the smallest and most disgusting rooms I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. Claustrophobia here I come.

I got this teeny tiny room that looked like a monks cell - in fact that is the first thing I thought as I opened the door. Long and narrow with practically no room to move. Hardly any furniture and very spartan in furnishings. Compact and claustrophobic to be exact. I just stood there and nearly wept after such a harrowing day and then be assigned to THIS. I just hate being cramped up. I need room to breathe. I was pretty angry that I'd been told I had a nice room. What the???

Worse still is that it had a teeny tiny window, that didn't open and I didn't have any view - just a concrete pillar of then building across the way. This place is quite frankly AWFUL. If it hadn't been for the late hour and the niceness of the staff member who waited for me, I would quite honestly have found somewhere else to stay. Thank goodness I was only here two nights.

The bathroom looks like it hasn't been updated since the 1980's and was very small and pokey with shower over the bath. The teeny tiny wardrobe was a joke, with an ironing board taking up space where I wanted to hang my clothes. So I took the stupid thing out and laid it down alongside the bed as there wasn't anywhere else to put it. The so-called spa bath was also a joke. Didn't look big enough to relax in.

But the big thing was noise for me from people getting in and out of the lift as my room was right opposite the lift. Not a good spot to be. I also could hear all the noise from adjoining rooms, people clearing their noses and god knows what. As for the people upstairs. It sounded like they were moving furniture at 5am. Great. And then on Wednesday night the noise from the pub!! Unbelievable! Tried to ignore it but couldn't. Is this place REALLY triple glazed? I think not. Maybe the "special" corner rooms but not these "pleb" rooms.

To top it off, the bed was way too hard and uncomfortable for me so - despite the fact I had been traveling since 6am - I couldn't sleep. And every time I did manage to fall into some sort of slumber the first night this weird "jackhammer" noise started up. Didn't go for long but it was enough to wake me up. I can only think it was people switching something on in the other rooms. I don't know but it was very annoying. As for the second night - the noise from the pub was unbearable. I tried ear plugs but to no avail. Way too noisy. This hotel is SUPPOSED to be protected against noise? Huh, obviously NOT. Not happy

Meanwhile, on the other hand. My colleague had a corner room Room 21. Very nice. Lots of space, two lovely windows with window seats. A huge bathroom with separate bath AND away from noise of the hotels down there. If I had been in a room like that, my review would be very different

I am a little annoyed because at the time of check in I asked if I had a nice room and was assured I did. Obviously I didn't and, as I said, if it hadn't been so late I would have made more of a fuss. More so once I saw the room that my colleague was in. Didn't seem fair that we both paid same price but he got the better room.

Thanks very much Quest Waterfront for a very unpleasant stay. Hopefully I won't ever have to stay here again and if I ever have the misfortune to stay here again, I will make sure I have a corner room but I will try my best not to stay here again.

But if you stay here try to get a corner room and the ones that end with a "1" (21, 31, 41) appear to have harbour views.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room especially the ones that end with a "1" as they appear to have water...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BrisCaz

Dear BrisCaz,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay at Quest Waterfront. We appreciate all feedback and we are very sorry that your stay was not to your satisfaction. We are very pleased that you found the reception staff to be so helpful it is one thing that we pride ourselves on.

In regards to the room in which you were staying in; this was a Hotel Room and it is smaller than the Studio Apartment that your colleague was upgraded to hence the difference. Had we been upgrade you as well we would have and if you had brought your issues to us after the first night we would have done everything that we possibly could to make your stay a more enjoyable one.

All rooms are triple glazed to try to prevent noise however it is not foolproof and sometimes loud noises are amplified in small streets. We try to prevent any impact on our guests due to the surrounding businesses in the area and we are in close talks with them constantly to keep this to a minimum.

I would like to offer you a complimentary night when you next stay in Hobart and we will ensure that we upgrade you into one of our studio rooms. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly should you wish to take us up on this offer or you wish to discuss this any further.

Management

Reviewed 16 January 2014

What a location, right in the social heart of Hobart with charge back options at many restaurants we checked in here on a recent business trip.

Check in staff are as friendly as friendly can be, unfortunately the impressions soon changed as we entered warm hallways with no ventilation and loud elevators.

The rooms had the same decor colours as the Miami Dolphin NFL colours (peach and baby blue), toilet was running, iron did not work and a light was out. Not to mention the noise from neighbouring night clubs, pipes from floor above and general noise from floor.

Bed was comfortable and spa was nice.

All in all I would probably not stay here again until it is renovated, one of our party had a refurb room looking over the water (same price) and was more than acceptable.

Make sure you book a car space.

Room Tip: Water facing away from the lift.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Traveling_Aussie10
QuestWaterfront, Front Office Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Tavelling_Aussie10

Thank you for your feedback, we value all feed back as training and improvement tools. As you said our staff are extremley friendly and helpful, customer service is something that is very important to us.

indeed you are right that there are some rooms that have been refirbished and we are currently waiting on our delivery of furniture and soft furnishings to complete the process. As the saying goes "rome was not built in a day!"

I would like to invite you to return and stay with us once this is completed as I am sure that you will notice the difference.

Once again, thank you for your feedback

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

My first impression was outdated, small bathroom, gloomy and overpriced (we paid over $200 per night). There were no fan in the bathroom and no sink in our kitchenette. Small window that cannot be opened and NO free wifi as it is available for corporate guest only. This apartment desperately need to be renovated or refurbished.

The good thing about this service apartment are :
- Good location, walking distance to Salamanca market, waterfront, docks, and CBD.
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Clean

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Siefung
QuestWaterfront, Front Office Manager at Quest Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Siefung

Thank you for your feedback, we welcome all types of feedback at Quest Waterfront. As previously mentioned, mid to late 2014 sees a lot of changes coming through at Quest Waterfront. All rooms will have a makeover. it sounds as tho you stayed in one of out Hotel Suites, which dont have the kitchenette, they are only in our larger apartments.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was supposed to be a "serviced apartment" however we were informed after arriving that there would be no servicing of the rooms on 2 of the 5 nights we booked (due to public holidays). I believe either the hotel should offer servicing of rooms every day or advise customers prior to booking that they will not be getting what they expect.

The rooms were large and comfortable enough however the lighting was poor. A very long room with only one small window at one end.

Price was quite expensive ($250+ per night) for a place of this standard (however admittedly we stayed in the highest of high seasons).

Location was excellent! VERY close to the waterfront and Salamanca Place and the CBD.

Room Tip: Rooms on the corners (numbers ending in '5' I believe) are better because they have more win...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank StuieG

Dear StuieG

Thank you for your feedback, all feedback is welcome at Quest Waterfront. You did indeed stay with us in the highest of high seasons. The rooms that you mention being on the "corners"" are indeed our family rooms which are a lot larger and yes therefore have more windows. We have been recently experimentinig with reducing our carbon footprint, and looking at lower wattage globes, however, it appears that this has not been sucessful and I will pass your feedback on.

Servicing on public holidays is not done on Sundays or public holidays in line with Quest national, and we are certainly happy to still offer you this if requested on these days.