“COULD THERE BE A WORSE HOTEL IN HOBART?”
Review of Harrington's 102

Harrington's 102
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I agree with the others it must be the worst hotel in Hobart, I'm sorry I didn't read the reviews first. service is terrible, no lifts, had to drag luggage up two flights of stairs. The room was like a shoebox and just plain ugly. Breakfast was bad!. A choice of only wholemeal toast or basic cereals with lukewarm longlife skim milk. Tables had been preset and they didn't even get cleared after people had left. We went back downstairs about half hour after we had eaten and our plates and at least one dirty setting was still left on each table.The owner/managers were just hanging around the reception area. Also there is only 1 hour meter parking out front or 3 hour meter parking around the corner.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Josephine P

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Rooms have no windows at all . Air is through internal vet from kitchen.
Door has no internal locks. It is a fire disaster waiting to happen . Only one SET stairs in building . no escape map on doors.Breakfast COULD NOT POSSIBLY BE MORE BASIC.
Internet only works in reception area.very expensive for 1 star hotel.

Room Tip: must ask for only room with open window =will cost over $140
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank liz255068
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I agree with other reviews that no one should make a booking at this place. It is a real dump and the room was very depressing. We only stayed for about 40 minutes in this place before we decided to cancel our booking but like others we too had to pay up front and now have a battle before us to get our money back. We have been advised by Booking.com that we can't pursue a refund until they can speak with the owner of this dump in early February. Our chances of getting any form of refund are very slim. There only seemed to be one staff member on and we had to call out to get her assistance as she was no where to be found when we arrived. We should have listened to the warning bells that we had, with the dreadful food smell that hit us as we walked into the very disorganised and untidy lobby. After receiving our key to the room we looked for a lift so we didn't have to carry our luggage up any stairs but there was no lift available in the building and the stairwell just looked like a cupboard door. I feel for any person who has a disability as they would have a considerable issue having to climb the multitude of stairs. On the booking.com website we thought we had booked a standard room with a balcony going by the very deceiving pictures on the site. Their "standard" rooms are certainly very below standard and very depressing. We received a room that was no bigger than a public toilet facility with about 4 cubicles in it and it the cleanliness of it was about the same state of a public facility as well. There were no chairs or a lounge to sit on, we had to sit on a very uncomfortable bed. There was no table (with no room to put any of this type of furniture in) and no bedside tables either. To get from one side of the room to the other would have taken about 10-15 steps but you had to climb over any other people in the room in the process to walk around. The bathroom was horrible and had absolutely no supplies available at all and whether it had been cleaned or not was debateable as I wonder where the cleaning staff are for that large facility when you couldn't even find the reception person. The only thing the reception person was interested in was eating in the lobby her smelly food while watching television. She was certainly not a professional person. The rooms window was not really a window but a square wall of glass bricks which of course couldn't be opened to let in any fresh air and the only source of air was an airconditioning system (heat pump) that didn't seem to be working properly. The tv didn't work and the antenna cord ran across the top of the bench with sticky tape holding it to the front of the bench so it would remain in place to connect to its wall connection underneath the bench. There was limited cuttlery, cups and plates and what was there certainly wasn't clean. When we asked to cancel our accommodation we were told we would have to still pay for 3 nights out of the 4 we had booked as we were suppose to give about 74 hours notice. We were prepared to pay for the first night as we had already arrived but not for any other nights, which, unless they give us a refund, we will still have to pay. This dump is certainly not worth the asking price of $99 per night and if I had a dog or a cat I certainly wouldn't board them in this type of facility either. Even animals deserve better accommodation. The reception we received from the staff member when we left was of an angry persona and she even argued with us. As a newely married couple on the last leg of our honeymoon we were looking forward to spending 4 nights in a luxuary hotel suite but our dreams were destroyed and so was our honeymoon when we arrived at this dump. So, if you are planning on booking a room at this venue PLEASE DON'T. YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DO!

Room Tip: DON'T BOOK ANY ROOM - It's not worth your money, your health and it will ruin your trip.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank K L T
Reviewed 28 December 2012

this place is the worst hotel i have ever stayed at in my life, before even getting to hobart the owner rang up asking for one nights stay in advance which sounded a bit funny to us, Once arriving at this hotel we were told to pay the second night right then and there, the smell in the lobby was enough to make the strongest of stomachs curl. The one member of stuff who seems to be everything from manager to cleaner was extremely rude not to mention her husband who was laying all over the lounge in the lobby so no visiter could sit down and rest.

After carrying our bags up the stairs which are they only way up or down from rooms we were met with a very small cramped room that you could not swing a cat in, there was no room to more around the room unless you climbed over the bed the tv antener cord was hanging over the fridge making it hard to acsses, there were no windows bare glass blocks,
The bathroom with very very small and not the marbel it was said to be, the toitel was not clean at all still having its last guests mess in it, to be able to have a shower you needed to side step past the toilet to step through the shower door, which was no where near big enough for one let alone two people.

The whole room had tiled floors which are extremely slippery and for me was a very bad experience for i am pregnant and slipped on there floor with out haveing a shower at all, the room was very stuffy it was hard to breath with holes in walls.

After staying one night we had to wait 15 minutes to speak to the women as she was too busy sitting in the lobby eating her own breakfast and watching the tv once we had her attention we asked for our money back and was told no, after explaining that i had fallen on the floor and am pregnant i was told that was my own fault that it had happened not to mention tripping on the stairs, we also told the owner that we fould mouse dropping on the floor in our room but we were brushed off, after handing back the key she told us she was going to look at our room to see how much mess we had made.

If you value you health and safty please do NOT stay at this hotel it is the most unhygienic place i have ever been and the worst experience of my life

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tania S
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I am incensed by the experience I had at this hotel. I booked for 7 days and was asked to pay upfront on arrival. I had booked through bookings.com. I approached the woman at the hotel on the day after my arrival and told her I wished to change my plans and wished to leave on the Saturday (3 days away) The woman said I would have to cancel through booking.com or she would lose the fee she paid for each night. I asked about contacting them but was given no help. Although the hotel has internet its only available in the foyer and with your own laptop. I tried to find an email address for the booking company but couldn't. I had to phone them in the UK. I was at a conference for two days and I had no opportunity to phone until the Friday night. In the meantime we had agreed that if someone came in for a room she could let mine and also that she could put it on the internet as available. However these regular conversations with the woman indicated she was more concerned about getting someone else in than how I could resolve the situation. I was given to understand that if bookings.com agreed I was able to have my money refunded. Bookings.com were happy to cancel and refund but needed to check with the hotel. When they did they were told that the hotel needed 72 hours notice from bookings.com. This of course meant that I was unable to cancel. As soon as I tried to have a conversation about this and point out I had let her know 72 hours before the woman raised her voice and talked over me. She was also very rude.
I have travelled all over the world and generally I find that hotels factor in the changing requirements of tourists and I have not had trouble with changing plans. At this hotel I felt as if I was there for the hotel's benefit than the othe way around. I was also trapped by the upfront payment which I note on this site is not an unusual experience for guests at this hotel. There is no attempt at servfice - just the basic minimum at the least cost to the owners.I noted that the rooms were described as small and they were. They were clean and had most things in them. The walls are however paper thin and noisy guests can keep you awake as can showers at all times of the day and night. I would not like to be caught in a fire there as there was no way out except the stairs - the windows are glass bricks. The breakfast is basic to say the least and although the booking form asked for dietary preferences the hotel does not supply anything other than breakfasat cereal and toast. Apparently even a boiled egg would require a licence and other food is too perishable!

I would stronglyt recommend against this hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Pat W
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed at the Harrington's from Oct.1st to Oct 5th 2012. This trip was given to us by our 5 girls for my birthday! We went with some doubts after reading so many negative reviews by other people but in the end decided to treat it as an adventure.
We arrived very early (our flight got in at 7AM) and on arrival at the hotel just asked if we could leave our luggage behind the counter until check-in as we didn't want to cart it around all day. There was no problem with that.
When we finally got into our room, we thought, WOW, not a great deal of room but more than adequate and the bathroom was a very nice size. Split system air-conditioning made it very comfortable. The bed was divine...I wanted to take it home with me! Tea and coffee and milk available in room. So close to the CBD. It was fantastic. We walked everywhere. Public transport is unbelievably good. $4.80 per day to travel on any and every bus all day, getting on and off as you want! Why hire a car in Hobart? No parking hassles here!
Our hostess was lovely and we had many enjoyable chats over breakfast with her. Nothing was too much of a problem. I don't know what some of these people writing reviews expect in life but they should not be expecting the Ritz! They probably couldn't afford it anyway....so stop complaining!!!!
On our last day, we had to be out by 10AM...normal time anywhere! We asked again to leave our bags behind the counter as our plane didn't leave until 10PM. Shuttle bus would be picking up us at 7PM. Again no problem. The day turned out very cold and miserable and when our hostess spotted us in a cafe trying to get warm she told us to get back to the hotel and stay there where it was warm until pick-up time! She had been worried about us all day! Now that is service!
We had a very enjoyable stay at Harrington's and would go back again for the comfort, closeness to the CBD and the friendly owners. We enjoyed it!
To people who wrote negative reviews, I would say, I don't know what you expect when you stay in places like this but since 2009 the owners here have done a lot of work to bring this up to a very comfortable standard and I would not hesitate to recommend one of the standard rooms to anyone! I have not seen one of the small doubles so can not comment on them...obviously a bit smaller...but if you are only there for one night, you are only looking for a bed anyway!
The only reccommendation I would make to the owners would be to add tissues and a teatowel to each of the rooms! Well, I like to make sure all the cups etc are done before I leave the room and that's rather difficult with no teatowel! But, again no big deal...and to all the whingers,I got over it!
Hope the girls send us back there again next year!
We loved it!

Room Tip: If you require a double room, go for the Standard Double it has a bit more room. If you are only the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I booked 2 rooms via the net, 1 for 2 nights and 1 for 1 night, according to it there were only "compact" rooms available for the nights we wanted, appart from 1 balcony room which was something like $180 per night. WELL, compact is the understatment of the century.... couldnt open the door and get into the room if the bathroom door was open,unless you were super skinny, NO window only glass bricks where one should be, heat pump, thank god, which we put onto air con so that we had some air circulating. Bathroom advertised as marble, woopy do, so tiny, no face washers or hairdryer, you could hardly move in the shower. IN our other room, it stank,it smelt like the sewer, toput it politly, even room deodoriser didnt help... Back to the room itself, couldnt stretch out your arm when in bed because the wall was in the way, lucky to be 8 inches each side of the bed, so no bed side tables, the heat pump was plugged in by an extention cord, I had to unplug that to plug in the so called, bedside lamp, which was stuck on the wall and didnt even work. It was dirty and mouldy in places,you could see where things had been taken off walls but hadnt been repaired or painted, the phone to get intouch with reception, didnt work in either room . The tiny jug of milk in the fridge in one of the rooms, had a film on it, so no saying how long it had been in there for. We should have gone and complainedt, and I dont know why, but didnt... Our biggest concern was that the was only 1 way in and out of the building, via the stairs, oh yes we had to drag ourselves and luggage up 4 flights of stairs, NO LIFT. With NO window in the room, and only the stairs, WHAT IF THERE WAS A FIRE???? How the hell do you get out ??????? IS THAT LEGAL??? The only concelation was that the mattress was comfy, there was certainly nothing else even remotely good about the Harrington. I wouldnt even let my dogs stay there, their bed is bigger than our whole room was. oh and cleaner...... We couldnt put up with it for the second night, So we decided to book into something better, being to polite and embarrassed to say the real reason that we werent staying the second night, god only knows why,I told the lady at reception, who is not proffessional at all,that I was sick and we had to leave. I had paid up front for the two nights, and knew that there was a cancellation fee, but apon asking for my money back, which was only for 1 room for the second night, i was told that you have to give 72 hours notice, um a bit hard when you have already been there 1 night. I could have got into a real doozy of an argument, but the stupid impolite woman on the other side of the counter was getting very agro with me, so I kept my cool and told her that that is just not right, to put it in terms that I can put in print. Her excuse was that she wouldnt have time to readvertise the room on the net. This happened before checkout time and check in isnt before 2pm... It was supposed to be nearly booked out but we only saw 2 other people there and they were in the room next to ours. When we got back to our room the first night at about 12.30am their door was chocked open with the rubbish bin. Very strange, were they too claustrophobic to sleep with their door shut??? No parking, on the street in front if your lucky, which means putting money in the meter all the time, or round the corner theres a small car park you can pay $9 for all day, but only once all the workers have left to go home so that theres space...I could go on and on and its all BAD, I intend on taking this further with consumer affairs and the ombudsman if need be to try and get our money back for the second night, that stupid inpolite receptionist,cleaner,manager what ever she is meant to be, could do with getting intouch with a good PR company to learn how to run the place properly. AND if there is another owner of this disgusting establishment, you need to get rid of her... Anyway, we had REAL luxury accommodation the second night at The Wool Store, it was absolutly beautiful. You could do with going there lady and having a look and learn what true luxury accommodation is and how to treat people.... MY ADVISE IS TO NEVER STEP FOOT OVER THEIR PRETENTIOUS MARBLE FRONT STEPS.......

Room Tip: check the reviews before booking.....
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends