“You have got to be kidding!!!”
Review of Harrington's 102

Harrington's 102
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I've stayed at 100s of hotels but this is the first time I've written a review because this is the worst ever Right at the start, you have to find a phone number and wait 20 mins just to get in the door. $4.00 surcharge for using Visa. Climb the stairs making sure you don't trip on bottom stair of send flight that is a different height to the rest. Turn the big round (not fire compliment) knob and squeeze into a shoebox sized room. Put your bags on the floor or in ensuite as there's no table or chairs. Don't turn the bed lights on in case the insulating tape that's connecting both leads to the one plug (definitely not to code). Move the leads on bench and unplug air con so you can boil kettle to make a coffee using the thimble of uncovered milk in the fridge. Don't touch any stickers on the wall as they may be covering a hole that let's a draught blow through. Count how many bum tickets you use as there's no spares.hang your wet towels outside next door or where you park the car - they don't exchange. Absolutely nothing to like about this place

Room Tip: Find another motel
Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Eddie B

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights recently and have no intention of ever considering going back. We only paid $99 per night and in comparison to other hobart hotel prices we weren't expecting much. But we got way less than we ever imagined.
The room was small, thats fine, but we booked a double or queen bed only to find two single beds pushed together. That does not make a double bed.
The shower is in dire need of some white king mould spray and a thorough clean. Although the shower water pressure was fantastically hard.
The worse part was that whilst laying in bed you could hear very clearly what was happening in other rooms on the floor. This includes people on other rooms using the toilet. I dont just mean flushing, I mean putting the seat down and being able to determine if its a number one or number 2. Really not good. We could also clearly hear phone conversations from 10 meters down the hall.
The lady who I presume owns the property seems nice enough, but the guy who looks after the breakfast is completely uninterested in anything other than his mobile phone. Try some cleaning.
The breakfast consists of toast, choice of 3 cereals and 2 juices. So if you are considering staying because it is included, think again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shrek73
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Very small room but we did book the "Compact Room". just needed somewhere to sleep in town.
Cleanliness was average. The bed was too soft. made it uncomfortable after a while.
Got stuck in the shower, the door sliding door got stuck, lucky that my partner was there to get me out!
There is no elevator, glad that we where on the 2nd floor only. Old building and narrow stairs.
To be honest I felt a bit claustrophobic. And the room or stars had no windows!
The lady at reception was nice. It was a bit expensive for what we got. for $110 I was expecting a lot better.
Tv was ok and there was air conditioning. Location is close to the town center.
I would probably no go back though.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mel1987_21
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I had the unfortunate experience of staying here last night. I travel to Tasmania 6 times a year for business & due to my usual place I stay at being full, had to settle with this pathetic excuse for a hotel.

Upon arrival the lady at reception asked for payment immediately after telling her my name. I told it should be sorted as it was organised by a lady at my work. She said she was experiencing problems with her internet & hadn't received any notification at all & insisted that I provides credit card or I won't get the room.

Should've walked out at that point. Room was tiny, small space on floor for suitcase, glass bricks for windows, no iron or irning board, bathroom was filthy with no soap holder in shower, no towel rail & loose toilet roll holder that kept slipping resulting in toilet roll falling onto floor.

I was told breakfast is served from 7am but when I went down at 7.10am nothing was ready & the guy who was supposed to be doing it was too busy talking to, cuddling & kissing his girlfriend. When she saw me, she managed to pry herself away from him & sit on the couch so he could do what he his paid to do. He couldn't move any slower if he tried & it took him about 15 minutes to do so. During this time I went & packed my bags & took them out to my car & when I saw what was on offer wondered why I even bothered. By this stage he was back on the couch watching TV with the girl.

Went back to room & brushed my teeth & couldn't get out of there quick enough. When leaving, the guy, who was now alone & having a smoke outside just told me to leave key on reception counter. No goodbye, did you enjoy your stay, have a good day, NOTHING!!!

Will be telling anybody & everybody that I hear of coming to Hobart to avoid this place like the plague!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank SPV1975
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The previous reviewers were not exaggerating - this place is the PITS! Central it may be, but we would have preferred to have given our $210 to charity and slept in the car. Thankfully, we were only there for the one night, so we tolerated it with humour, but we met people who had never been to Tasmania before and had booked for multiple nights, poor folks. What a bad experience for first time visitors - the Tasmanian licensing authorities really should have a good look at this place.
As said by others before me, there is no "anything" and polite requests for simple things such as a cup are met with a defensive attitude and excuses. I will not ramble repeating things that others have said - simply believe them, it's all true!

Room Tip: Just don't go there.
1  Thank rosemaryVenusBay
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The reasons we chose this hotel are "free wifi in all area" and "Breakfast". But the hotel (not hotel standard in my opinion) disappoint us with limited wifi, dreadful breakfast, plus means and unfriendly staffs who made us feel really insulted.

The wifi reception in the guest room is impossible to be received, and when we asked the front desk, the man just told us we can only use wifi in the lobby. Ok, it's fine. So we used our computer in the lobby to watch youtube or something else. Another woman came to us and told us not to use wifi to watch any video because it cost her 400 to pay for the wifi bill last month. In conclusion, they don't provide free and unlimited wifi in "all" area like their promise in advertisement.

The so call "buffet" breakfast have only two items: Toast, with five jam flavors and butter, and three kinds of cereals. Oh, and also juice, milk, tea bags, and instant coffee. That's all. Really all. And the breakfast start really late. So if you want to attend any tour start from 7:00 or 7:30, you need to give up the breakfast (but trust me you can lose nothing..).

We believed the woman staff mean mug us everyday we stay there because of the wifi issue, and one morning she even ignored us in the dining room and "forget" to give us plate and cutlery on purposed.

3  Thank Pommemushroom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel is sub par and definitely not as advertised. The room was small and cramped and felt very claustrophobic as we could not see out any window. The breakfast was really low rate and to top it all we were charged an extra 4 dollars to use our credit card to pay. Not impressive.

1  Thank belgianexpats