“A very pleasant surprise”

Signal Station Brasserie
Ranked #149 of 645 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Visited this restaurant as a last minute decision with a friend who was visiting Hobart. Professionally greeted and shown to our table on verandah with view. Although cloudy it was a clear view. My friend impressed to see the beautiful view so close to Hobart.
Both ordered house Pinot Grigio which was very nice. Also both had a Caesar salad, one with chicken the other with their speciality house cured smoked salmon and prawns. Some of the chicken was a bit hard and dry but other salad great, salmon particularly nice,
Finished off with coffee. Would have been a nice finishing touch to have had a small treat on saucer (choc or similar).
If you are going for a sandwich or similar you won't get it, meals are a more substantial type, also priced accordingly.
Our only complaint was our table was cramped and hard to get into chairs as it was so close to the other tables, but patrons were obliging, moving enabling us to sit down.
Definitely will be back.

sc0ttallen, Owner at Signal Station Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.
Secondly, I'm sorry you were a little cramped at the table, however they didn't built very wide verandas in the 1800's :) and as that is where most of our patrons wish to sit, I have done the best I can at the moment.

Chocs &/or biscuits with the coffee's are being implemented!

Scott

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Lunchtime Sunday. Booked but waited 1 and a quarter hours for our meal. One meal was not what was ordered and consisted of 4 prawns. Another for $24 consisted of two minute scallops, two prawns and two small mussels. It was impossible to remove the large greens from the bowl. Waiting was offhand. At another table a couple left without being served a meal. When paying another patron remarked that he could not reconcile what he ordered with the bill, nor with the wait.
My interstate companions had visited twice before (in the previous three weeks) for breakfast and had excellent experiences.
There does not seem to be a website so direct feedback is difficult.

14  Thank GwenA132013
sc0ttallen, Owner at Signal Station Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review my restaurant.
However, I do have a couple of points for you:
1. There is a website however, I'm not allowed to put it here in the response. (As this my 2nd attempt to reply to you, the first one was rejected as I put it in the response.)
2. If there was such a problem,(i.e. Incorrect orders etc.) why was I not made aware of it on the day, I am here every day.
3. I believe the people who left, had been there for breakfast and had already been served. ( I may be incorrect in this, but NO table left without their meals)
4. A Laksa has noodles in it, and they are most definitely NOT 2 minute.

Please also be aware that your experience is NOT what we strive for, Nor is it the NORM!!
I do sincerely apologise for your poor experience and hope that you do give us another chance, because as you can see most of our reviews are extremely positive.
Scott Allen

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

A 5 star restaurant in all respects, excellent service and food to die for and the scenery is unbelievable, I really can't wait to go back again!

2  Thank mdjeric
Reviewed 22 September 2013

l attended this venue with my nephew & his wife, the meal was absolutley fantastic ... but wait theres more, the dessert omg ... the semialfrado with caramel sauce & honeycomb pieces was out of this world. The view wasn't bad either, it was a little over cast but you could still see right down to Bruny island

1  Thank MelbourneJulie
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Ephasis here is on showcasing Tasmanian produce - 'the beef is from over there (pointing to the the land in the distance over the water), the venison is from ...' etc. Our expectations were high from the imaginative menu and the manager's introduction but unfortunately our expectations weren't met. I had duck breast stuffed with hazlenuts, orange and other ingredients on mashed green peas with miniature purple carrots - the duck was nicely cooked but the hazlenut stuffing didn't have that much flavour. My husband has surf and turf on NY cut porterhouse but unfortunately the meat had some tough gristley sections which put him off. Overall okay but expected better. Location is spectacular.

8  Thank Kim F