“Compact and funky”

Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Oz
“Compact and funky”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by this little hotel on Salamanca Wharf. It was beautifully appointed, complete with laundry, kitchen and deep spa bath. Easy walk to the water, the markets, restaurants and of course Salamanca markets. The beds were lovely and the staff had put the heater on for us.

Room Tip: The rooms don't have views, so any room would be OK. We were on the first floor which meant we c...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PearlyOz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Langwarrin, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Staff were fantastic, room was really nice and clean.
Location of place was fantastic.

But was advertised as quiet, but alas u could hear people in room above walking around on roof/floor above. Could hear doors from other rooms (entry) being shut/opened by other patrons, and in most rooms could hear the opening and closing of the lift and voices in foyer of floor.

Staff kept saying rooms were quiet but could hear cars driving past even with patio door closed!

If u like to sleep without noise stay elsewhere. And I paid for 1 bedroom not a studio!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Robyn S
Anthea P, General Manager at Salamanca Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Robyn, we are both surprised and sorry to hear that you had a noise disturbed stay with us. The one bedroom premium apartment which you stayed in, has the bedroom away from the street front, and has four levels above it before roof level. As a brand new building, we can't claim to house any historic ghosts, and we have double-glazed windows, fully insulated rooms and a noise-less lift.
Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed for 5 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment which was newly renovated with comfy beds and fantastic block out. The staff were lovely, especially Megan who provided tourist options, babysitting facilities and restaurant recommendations throughout our stay. Thanks for making our first trip to Tassie an enjoyable one!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris78
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We visited Hobart for a long weekend & chose the SWH because of the location. The location was perfect for what we wanted . The restaurants & bars of Salamanca Place are just a couple of minutes walk away. This also meant that the Saturday market was also very close.
On our second day we caught the boat to Mona & the departure point was only about 5 minutes away.
The room is clean & modern. The bed was very comfortable. We didn't watch a lot of TV but it was good to have access to FOXTEL channels including Fox Footy. Our room on the first floor faced the street & we didn't notice any street noise.
The package we had booked included breakfast however when we arrived we were told that the cafe onsite had changed it's hours & would not be open over the long weekend. We were offered a reduced room rate or credit towards the mini bar. A bit of a no brainer & we are glad that we got to choose where we would have breakfast each morning.
Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Dave L
Rosebery, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Although I only stayed overnight, I found the premium apartment I booked to be warm, comfortable, well designed and furnished to a high standard including microwave oven, dishwasher and a washer/dryer. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was little street noise due to the double-glazing ensuring an excellent nights sleep. This is something I rarely have in a hotel. The free wi-fi was also a bonus.

From my arrival until I left, I found all the staff to be courteous, friendly and helpful.

The hotel location is great, not only for tourists but business travellers, with only a two-minute walk to Salamanca Square with its restaurants, bars, cruise and tour opportunities, and an easy 10-minute walk to the CBD. While the sights and restaurants of Battery Point are also only a few minutes stroll away.

I would recommend a stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank jpan53
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The introductory blurb to the hotel booklet sheet said:

"It’s often the so-called “small details” that have the biggest impact on the quality of your stay."

Indeed. I arrived on a Friday afternoon for a two night stay in a premium apartment, I had a shower and used the heater in the bathroom, then the light wouldn’t turn on. I called for assistance and was told that there was a safety feature in the heat lamp, and I would need to wait 15-20 minutes, before I could turn the light in the bathroom on again. Given that the bathroom was the only place where there was a mirror, I had to dry my hair and do my make-up in the almost dark.

There was no mobile phone reception in the bedroom, which meant that I missed an important work call and the text messages from my partner who was due to join me were not received in a timely manner. The aspect of staying here which most annoyed me was that we were not able to leave our luggage at the hotel after 4pm on Sunday afternoon as the hotel was not attended after that time. Our flight was at 8.30pm that night. This meant cutting short our trip to MONA to arrive back in time to get out bags, and also then lugging our luggage around over 3 hours until our 8.30pm flight. To me, this just doesn’t cut it for an hotel that I’ve paid $300 a night for. The staff weren’t at all apologetic about the inconvenience either.

On the plus side, this is a good location near Salamanca Wharf, the king beds are super comfy, it’s modern, nice MOR body products in the bathroom. However, there’s not much to be said by way of view, even though I requested one. We stayed on the first floor and overlooked the road at the front of the hotel. By comparison, I stayed at the Hotel Grand Chancellor for two nights before at a cheaper rate, while the room décor was a little dated, the harbour room views were amazing. I wouldn’t stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Happy K
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights recently on my own. The accommodation is very modern and it was spotless. Very spacious in the room with a massive bathroom - all the mod cons!!! Location is just a 2 min walk to all the bars and restaurants on Salamanca place. This is good for weekends as it would be too loud to stay right on salamanca place on the weekends with bars and the markets setting up on Saturday morning. That all being said, the place just lacked soul and character. Felt like I stayed at serviced apartments instead of a hotel...; just an unmemorable experience! Perhaps if I was staying with friends I wouldn't have noticed so much but just not a personal experience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo