“Great way to get around” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Decker

Red Decker
Ranked #19 of 84 Tours in Hobart
More attraction details
Owner description: The Red Decker is the Official Sightseeing Tour of Hobart, featuring the city's best sights and attractions. Do the full 90 minute loop tour or Hop on Hop off for the duration of your stay. 20 stops to choose from. Choice of 24 or 48 hour city loop ticket. Other tour combinations available. Fantastic views from the top deck. Professional guided commentary. Environmentally friendly and wheelchair accessible.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking
Sydney, Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great way to get around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

This is bus is a great way to be transported to the hobart attractions. Also some very informative and historical commentary by the drivers. The pass also lasts for 3 days! Would definitely recommend it.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank Alina G

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Wodonga, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great guided Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Hop on and off at any of the points of interest CASCADE Brewery West point casino Saturday at the Salamanca markets

Visited November 2013
5 Thank Gordon T
Turners Beach, Australia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“This experience needs fine tuning.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I visit Hobart once a month for a day (I generally only have from 10am to 3.30pm to check out sights etc) whilst hubby is there on business and this time around I wanted to do the Red Decker bus tour. It advertises itself as a Hop on Hop off experience with around 20 stops, each tour taking around 1.5 hours. The ticket costs $30 but I was told it is valid for 3 (presumably consecutive) days.

I joined the tour at its first stop (The Info Centre) and was pleased to find a seat upstairs on the new open-top bus. The driver introduced himself and although a bit droll was informative. He displayed a quirky sense of humour, which I appreciated.

The tour itself was an interesting one. I was surprised at how well the bus negotiated what seemed to be impossible tight turns and narrow streets - all part of the experience!

Now down to the things I did not like ...

1. This was not truly a Hop on Hop off tour. If you wanted to do that you really could only do 1 or 2 as the wait between buses was 1.5 hours.

2. As I was there for only 1 day I could not make full use of the bus ticket. It would be much better for them to offer a ticket for a one day visitor like me. $30 made it a very expensive outing. I think if they offered a $10 - one trip - ticket that would be much better value and also give the company a higher passenger turnover. I would do the tour again if it cost less - for a one day pass.

3. To be able to get full value out of the various stops offered on the tour, it would be much better for there to be more frequent tours!! Whether this is possible or not, i don't know. I guess it would depend on how many buses (and drivers) they have. If you get off to have a look around you then have to wait 1.5 hours for the next bus.

Overall, I enjoyed the bus trip. I saw a part of Hobart I might not otherwise have seen but being a one-day visitor to the city I did not find this trip to be value for money. Perhaps as time goes on the company will look at offering options for visitors who do not have 3 days to use this service.

Visited November 2013
9 Thank Trudy B
Albury, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great Tour of the sights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We had a great driver, informative, great voice and not bad on the eye either. What a great summary of the sights. We weren't in Hobart Long and didnt' have time to take lots of tours so this way we could have a glimpse. Only downside was that we hopped off at Cascade Brewery for tour only to find it was booked out, this would be ok but the bus doesn't return for 1.5 hours and touring a garden for that long didn't appeal, so we walked down the road and caught town bus back to Hobart central and boarded Red Decker again on it's next loop. There was no mention in brochure that you had to book so we missed out. Which would have been ok, but the lady at the Brewery was quite rude about it and really offended not only us but also some elderly folk from our bus too. However this is no reflection on Red Decker tour as it is well worth the money and is just terrific. We loved it.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank tinabopped
Melbourne, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good time filler”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We joined the tour to kill some time inbetween waiting for our shuttle bus to the airport. We had also been on the previous day where we had a great informative guide, however today's guide seemed a bit vague. With comments such as 'on the left is the Woolworths in the city' - not really note worthy! As well as there seemed to be some long pauses in the commentary or not enough explanation on some of the buildings
Although this review sounds quite negative I do think it was a great way to see the city and get a little more knowledge on the buildings and history, however with a slight tweak on the commentary and it'll be great!

1 Thank Emhew87