“A distinctive place in Hobart for that unique...”
other travellers have booked this property
The deck at night - Huon Pine bath too Huon pine craftsman's table for 10
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The deck at night - Huon Pine bath too
Huon pine craftsman's table for 10
Custom made king size bed, ensuite bathroom
Hobart at night from Avalon City Retreat
Superbly appointed kitchen
Anyone for a little moon gazing?
Custom made outdoor setting and our luxurious Huon Pine bath under the stars
The perfect spot for an Al Fresco meal
Ensuites complete with Waterford crystal glasses
Walk in shower rooms in ensuites
An amazing place to celebrate
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 33 reviews

Reviews from our community

Dean D
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
“A distinctive place in Hobart for that unique event”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

In the lead up to my recent significant birthday I was at a loss to find a place that was different and had an edge that would make it a very special event.

I live in Hobart and after seeing Avalon City Retreat (The Pod) lifted into placed on the top of 152 Macquarie Street, Hobart, I wondered, ‘how amazing would it be to have my 50th in this penthouse?’

Upon asking if this could be done, my dream came true.

The small gathering of about 40 people had the most amazing night. We all had the opportunity to be in a place that cannot be found anywhere else in Hobart.

Everything you need is there with the staff and management being more than helpful.

I had two nights there with the views, pure luxury (especially the Huon Pine bath) and homely comforts of this architectural masterpiece. I didn’t leave Avalon City Retreat till I had to go.

Certainly one I and my guests will remember fondly.

I am now looking to stay at Avalon Coastal Retreat and Rocky Hills Retreat. Can’t wait!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location, views and all the comforts of home.
Liked least: It would be hard not to like anything about Avalon City Retreat.
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
19 Aug 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our beautiful Avalon City Retreat Dean! We thrilled your guests enjoyed a starry and spectacular night in Hobart and congratulations on your 'significant' birthday. Peta
Namatoke
Hobart, Australia
“A spectacular floating haven above Hobart”
Reviewed 25 June 2013 for a stay in April 2013
people found this review helpful

As soon as my partner and I had made our way to the top Avalon City Retreats we were instantly blown away by the sheer beauty and design the Omni Pod offered: with its majestic sweeping views framed by the carefully attentive design of the architecture.

For the first hour we just moved from space to space and gazed through all the windows drinking in the tranquility and beauty of the place along with the complementary French champagne: a very nice touch!

As sunset came we watched boats sailing in the Derwent from the balcony, people milling to and fro through St David's Park into Salamanca, traffic weaving in and out of the main arterial roads of Davey St and Macquarie St and as the Sun bowed adieu to the Moon we really felt like we were in some NY penthouse with all the twinkling lights above and below...

Enjoying the evening so much we decided to stay in and ordered dinner from the recommended Astor Grill across the road. The food was delivered in person to the door along with cutlery, napkins and freshly baked bread. The service and food was delightful.

It was very easy to get giddy with all of the fine details. A generous minibar with local wines, beer and whisky kept us entertained all night. The fridge and pantry was filled with sweet and savory delights and the complementary breakfast provisions and gourmet kitchen ensured a delicious cook up in the morning.

Outside on the spacious deck the hand made Tasmanian Huon Pine bath tub beckoned us. As the hot water filled, the aroma of the wooden bath and the starry sky above was truly sensuous.

We had two bedrooms to choose from: both equal in beauty and design however we chose the one facing Mt Wellington and decided we would swap the next chance we visited.

The bed easily has to be the most luxurious and comfortable sleep I've ever had and upon glancing the mini bar list the following morning it's also one of the items you can actually purchase! A future endeavour for sure.

There are plenty of distractions available too. From the free wifi and iPad to a selection of games and books and the binoculars we used to spy on Hobart below.

All in all I wish I had stayed longer. I left feeling inspired, creative and decadent and wished for that feeling to last longer. Next time we will have to invite some friends and spend a few days more floating high above Hobart.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Every detail was magical.
Liked least: I wish I had stayed longer.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$383
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing