“Old School Charmer”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hobart
Wrest Point Water Edge
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Well initially I thought I would be in the Tower, but I believe my own booking mistake put me in the Water Edge. That aside the room was very old school, very clean, bed was reasonably comfy and the high pressure water in the shower was relaxing, however it was like stepping back into a time warp with the decor, could def use a refresh!

Staff were great very knowledgable and friendly, casino was fun and only got to eat at the buffet once but I wouldnt say it is worth $27. I would walk up the road and try some nice restaurants especially in North Hobart.

Def get yourself a car too!

Overall very comfy and no serious complaints but not my type of place. Was here for a wedding and it was good for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: I think learn from my mistake and book in the Tower, might be nicer
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Central spot with amazing views of Sandy bay. Right on the beach front to the open bay. The room was clean, staff are very helpful and the entire hotel has the Art Deco era of the 1940's which I felt like I had stepped back in time. The venue has all the necessities you might night found right inside.

Room Tip: Ask the reception staff for a bathroom with an exhaust fan.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Look,The Waterfront part of the Wrest Point Casino Hotel is outdated even though the receptionist assured us all the rooms have been refurbished, this needn't be a problem if other details are looked after like they are at The Waterfront Wynyard. However there is nothing much at this motel to redeem it, stay elsewhere, that's our tip. The receptionist didn't even ask us if we enjoyed our stay, she probably knew how we would reply!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose the Waterfront or mountain side if you have difficulty walking. The tower is much...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We have stayed at Wrest Point Hotel for 3 nights over the festive season ( New Year's Eve ) and the only accommodation available was Water Edge rooms. To go straight to the point - Water Edge rooms are hugely overpriced as they do not meet the criteria of a good 4 star hotel. We have paid on average $349 per night inc. buffet breakfast which is an absolute rip off even for the high season. Our room was on level 1 and the first thing we saw as we walked into the room was dirty windows ( bird droppings ) and a "worn out" old furniture and orange painted walls. On the positive side, water view from the room was gorgeous, even that we were on the lowest floor. We got room with 1 queen and 1 single bed, even that we requested a king room when a booking was made. Bed mattress not of a good quality and could be a problem if you suffer from back pain or discomfort. Bathroom was tiny, not big enough for 2 people being in there at the same time. Bathroom accessories were limited, only a shampoo, conditioner and soap. Bathroom floor wasn't cleaned for the 3 days we've been there, as there was rubbish on the same spot left for all 3 nights. However, carpet in the room looked reasonably clean, bed linen were nice and "fresh" too. TV was very old as well. It's worth to mention that Water Edge rooms are located away from the tower in completely separate section on the hotel so there are more motel than hotel rooms. It is a long walk from the reception, especially if you have to carry lots of luggage. It's also quite confusing, all the left and the right turns so you'll need a bit of time to get used to the route. Would not recommend this rooms at such high price, they are not worth more than half of the nightly rate we've payed. So be aware of that before you make the decision.

Room Tip: Choose the room in the Tower instead, if you have a choice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

Me and friends stayed here couple of months ago I like the view it was overlooking the ocean. View was panoramic with modern style coffee shop and oldest casino apart from it nothing fancy in my eyes. Carpet were old and looked dusty, small room and looks dull.

Staff has their own world snobbish and seem aristocrat maybe because theyre trying to project the old image of the hotel being the oldest casino in australia.
A bit far from shopping malls and cbd.

Ill come back only if i dont have a choice

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank wanderingnoreen
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We had just spent ten nights in Taz and this was our last night. What a disappointment. Fair dinkum we both looked at each other and frowned.
Old dated and after locating our room (no help from poor signage). There where huge bundles of laundry in the corridor + and empty glass by the lift. (Store it in the laundry /store room next to the lift. Again this door was wide open and an eye sore.
Later that day the laundry bundles were removed however the glass remained by the lift.
No free internet charging $5/ hour. Most of the B&B's we stayed in around Taz offered this for free.
No, definitely wont stay here again

Room Tip: There has to be a plan "B"
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed 4 days at the Wrest Point casino over a weekend for a computing conference. The casino is located on the coast some way from the Hobart city centre. So it is impracticable to walk any where else than the Casino for casual dining. Perhaps that explains the lack of spit and polish of the Casino. The water side rooms are old and tired. My chair was coming apart. The TV was wobbly, old and had a fuzzy picture. The TV remote would not work and when I commented to the reception they sent a smart alec kid down who attempted to rebuke me for not knowing how to use a remote control. He was soon shame faced as he worked out the batteries were flat. The AC was noisy, which was a big issue, as the room quickly became cold, insulation? Our conference rooms were poky and oddly shaped. Internet became unusable at night. The provided meals and $27 breakfast were half hearted efforts in mediocrity. Their gym is tiny and the pool too short for laps. All in all this casino hotel shows all the hall marks of it's monopoly over the conference facilities in Hobart. It does not have to try and so it does not make too much effort. $2 black jack would have turned my views around entirely. I'm not paying $10 a hand to play by myself!

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed as the queens are too short.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank OverU
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hobart
Wrest Point
Mantra Collins Hotel
Mantra Collins Hotel
#13 of 47 in Hobart
Grand Chancellor Hotel Hobart

Been to Wrest Point Water Edge? Share your experiences!