“Disapointing”

Edinburgh Gallery Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 28 Hobart B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This was not an expensive place. We chose it as it was central and had a room for3.
Stayed two nights but only saw staff once. Breakfast was self cooked ,hence the price, but poor quality. Not as clean as we would have liked and quite noisy as it is set in a busy corner. Agree with one of the other reviews that this would be better named as a Hostel not a B&B.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank binaduncan

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I do not disagree with many of the negative reviewers below.

I believe many of the negative reviews come from unfulfilled expecations and that if this place changed it's name from "Bed & Breakfast" to "Edinburgh Gallery Hostel" ~ Families welcome, that the place would appeal to the correct clientele (people like me) and people would be happier with lower expectations.

I have stayed in Tibetan refugee camps with an outhouse toilet in Nepal and North Korean hotels with a hard wooden bed and a thin sheet (no mattresses) with no complaint. I really am not fussed by very much (I can cope with overflowing toilets, broken elevators, hauling 30kg luggage up 4 flights of stairs and leaky bathtubs without batting an eyelid. I like places that have quirks and character, do not like sterile 5 star hotels) so if you are like me, you'll enjoy staying here. If not, then you shouldn't come.

My mum and I stayed in room 9 (twin room on the ground floor). There is a redundant door in the room and it appears to be a reconverted basement with a bunker feel - some may be put off by this but I LOVE feeling surrounded and hidden. There are non-opening windows which are at ground level.

No daily room service (which did not faze us) but asked the staff for rubbish bags and left rubbish outside our door which was collected.

It did take climbing 3 flights of stairs to the shared bathroom services. This is a CON, but mum and I talked and decided we much preferred the basement room as we were not as bothered by the creaky stairs with people walking and felt more cozy. If we had stayed on the higher floors it would be much noisier.

As mentioned by others, 'fresh local produce' is a misnomer on the website and should be removed as false advertising. Woolworths jams and margarines. Bread was ok though (Not the $1 cheap bags of toast, appeared to be Helgas). Dining room had a bottle opener, microwaves and other kitchen appliances so convenient.

The service was excellent. I rung ahead to let Frank know our flight is a late one, we were given instructions to unlock the night safe outside the door and there was a written welcome note with information and keys. Our return flight was also late, past checkout time. Frank was more than happy to store our luggage for free in the office (many lower end motels I have stayed in charge for this service) and even invited us for a cuppa when we came to pick up the luggage.

The hot water machines must be pretty decent here, no problems with the showers even after using them after other people. It was a very close walk to Salamanca, and all my favourite restaurants.

In closing, no this place is not a true B&B and the business should re-brand. But if your expectation is of a comfortable homey hostel with a fair amount of privacy, then you'll enjoy it. Mum and I were very happy with the money we saved, which we spent on eating ourselves silly. I would definitely return without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Beachednarwhal
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Great room and very spacious. Great location close to CBD. Professional and courteous staff. Flexible with booking. Will use them again when in Hobart next.
I chose the executive suite. The room was very spacious. My friends who were staying at another hotel were quite envious of the space that I had compared to the room they had booked.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nufe
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights. I was upgraded from shared facilities to own. Its old, Its cold but Frank did his best to make my stay comfy. Bed was very comfy, room heated up finally. Very noisy as on a main road but I was moved to a quieter and smaller room that was quieter without a hassle. Noisy as people come and go up and down wooden stairs. I slept poorly in the noisy room but it improved when I was moved. Clean and adequate not 3 star really but good for the price I paid.Breakfast very ordinary but again adequate. I bought fruit and some additives for the muesli to make it healthier. Its not a traditional B&B with a homely feel with owners who treat you like family its more like a hostel. Close to everything and I found a really beautiful French bistro 3 minutes away "Remi de Provence", so made my stay very enjoyable. Has unlimited wifi and digital TV. I love comfort and something quaint this would not be up there with what I really like but it was OK and I just accepted its downside.The website is a tad misleading but its worth a try if you are easy going and can go with the flow.

Room Tip: ask to be away from the busy road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2013

It was filthy, absolutely no service, noisy, breakfast was a joke (frozen bread), expensive for what you got. I stayed with a friend and we were aghast at such filthy conditions. Now I don't mind outdated furnishings etc but when it comes to cleanliness there is no room for error. This place does represent the beauty of Hobart, with its wonderful food, gorgeous landscpape and friendliness. I have been travelling to Hobart for over 10 years and have stayed in brilliant B&Bs all of which were booked out and never had such a terrible experience and have never been so disgusted by the dirty, dirty conditions.

I could not sleep because the family who owned the establishment were noisy and up all night. Cooking smells permeated the entire building which were unpleasant. The owners were not available when I was checking out in the morning. I had to call his mobile and was told to wait. Breakfast room was not set up for patrons and we had to wait at 30 minutes for him to arrive with bread which was frozen. Needless to say we did not eat there.

I did not want to touch any surfaces, especially the kitchen and the bathroom. Stains everywhere: on capets, on blinds. Dust and cobwebs galore. Yuck, Yuck Yuck. I'm glad I did not bring my young family on this trip.

Establishments like this give the city a bad reputation which is unfair.

I feel rather traumatised by this experience!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank G R
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The building itself is lovely and has that old Hobart rustic charm creaky floorboards, stairs and all. The shared bathrooms were nice and clean, the bedroom had a comfy bed with an electric blanket which would come in handy for those cold Hobart nights. The TV didn't work (it was an old analogue TV and the area had obviously switched to digital). It is close to town, and just a 5min walk to the airport shuttle bus. The breakfast however, was a little disappointing, it did not start until 8am and as I was catching a shuttle, was told I had to help myself - which I was prepared to do. There was tea/coffee/cereal but no bread for toast, or pastries.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I booked two nights based on their advertising on their website, which lists their breakfast as consisting of fresh local produce as we were heading off on a hiking trip and thought this would be a great way to prepare. However, breakfast consisted of cereal & toast (white bread only) and jam, marmalade or vegemite. Not even any local honey. You made everything yourself including the coffee in a single-serve coffee pot. Not exactly what is advertised on their website. Furthermore the staff were not welcoming or helpful. The building itself is nice, & the location good, however, it is very noisy and the rooms not very clean. All-in-all very overpirced.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple