“Central, great service and good atmosphere!”
Review of Brunswick Hotel

Brunswick Hotel
Ranked #44 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Hobart
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here for a night in late January. The staff were friendly and professional. The pub had a great atmosphere with some good beers on tap and best of all the location! Right in the middle of town and opposite a Woolies supermarket to grab groceries.

Inside the backpackers is a large courtyard with the usual amenities like kitchen, large communal area and a separate TV/internet room. The showers were a bit funky, but the water was hot!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Was the worst night of my life. It was dirty and there was people making noise and smoking inside the room. Horrible! It cost me $30 and the bathroom was dirty. In the next morning I moved for YHA, 2 blocks from there. I paid $28 for a much better room.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eduardo R
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

$95 per night for a very dirty, small and old double ensuite room is a fraud.
Dust everywhere, a used tissue and hairs where in the room when we arrived, and the worst thing is that we complained to the staff and they didnt do anything...
Simply terrible

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carlos G
Brett D, General Manager at Brunswick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

We have taken on board the feedback regarding some issues we have had recently with cleaning. We are addressing this in the following ways:
- 2 new cleaners have been hired
- New cleaning procedures have been put in place and are now effective
- Additional staff training to ensure our service is always up to and exceeding the standards we all expect.
We have a great and unique venue and we are always trying to make it better.
Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

The rooms are cheap so I expected basic but the bathrooms were filthy. The bedrooms are alright, beds are clean but the dorm room doesn't get a great clean. Staff are average. The location was good but apart from that I certainly wouldn't recommend it/come back.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My friend and I booked a private 'twin' room for $82 per night, because we wanted to relax after completing the Overland Track hike.
The marketing images and website description were awesome- maybe this room exists somewhere in this very run-down hotel but not in our room.
Our 'TWIN' room was actually just a BUNK bed and the frame was so bent in the middle that my back began to spasm in the middle of the night.
I politely asked reception the next morning to replace the mattress and they asked me if the problem was actually the bed frame, rather than the mattress? (hmmm...I think they've heard these complaints before!) OH DEAR *sigh
The marketing photos all showed clean rooms with in-room EN-SUITES... But I ask you- does a broken, dirty vanity cabinet in the corner of the room with a single toilet at the end of the public corridor and a very basic shower off another corridor constitute an EN-SUITE?
The answer is No.
I spoke to a few other people staying on my floor and it seemed that my room was one of the better rooms- OH DEAR *sigh

Here's a tip Brunswick Hotel: Be Honest and charge Honest prices.
If the rooms are basic with no facilities sell them as such.
My room was worth no more than $45 per night. Don't mislead people with professional photography and descriptions if that is not what you are providing.
Your staff explained to us that the "Brunswick Hotel was a 3 star BACKPACKERS hotel NOT a 3 Star HOTEL"
OH DEAR. *sigh

Room Tip: Find another Hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AdventureR0cks
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hostel has many dorms (mine was crammed full of bunks with little space for lugagge) but very few bathrooms, all of which are old and tatty and quite filthy. I can imagine they are only cleaned once a day as in many hostels, I find this quite unbelievable in such a crowded hostel and very disgusting indeed. As if they didn´t make money (backpackers must think oh, I paid so little I cannot expect more which is so wrong) customers deserve more respect. Also the kitchen is pure chaos nothing clean you have to clean kitchenware and crockery to use over a full dirty sink. The living room/patio is enormous and would be very nice if it weren´t that dirty...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ElisaTL
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed at this place during with my boyfriend during our holiday around tasmania. We stay at the hostel which part of the hotel, in the private room. the room is nice with mini refrigerator and we can have hot water in our room. the location is excellent, we can go around hobart city easily, close to supermarket, the waterfront that we can have a nice seafood with a cheap price.
The room is not too clean. and the second floor bathroom is poor. but overall is a nice place to see Hobart.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple