“Is what it is....”
Review of The Pickled Frog

The Pickled Frog
Ranked #10 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Hobart
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

No frills, a typical tired hostel, staff were helpful, was quiet after 11 which staff ensured, rooms could be freshened up, dark and dingy, ok value, $70 for a double room with shared bathroom. Would stay elsewhere if I were to visit again.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 6 May 2013

We got into Hobart in the late afternoon/early evening after running all day. The staff on reception was just so friendly and nice. There was six of us staying in a 6 person dorm. And I was surprised at how much space we had. Some Hostels the beds are just crammed in but we had some space to put our bags. Bathrooms were very clean and the kitchen was nice and big with a dinning area just to the front of it. When we checked out in the morning we were greeted like a long lost friend, he was generally interested in our visit to Hobart and our stay with them.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank awillis_13
Reviewed 1 May 2013

This could be a great place to stay, but it needs work. It's an awesome old pub/hotel turned into a backpackers.

After doing the Overland Track it was great to be greeted with a bar that served cheap good Tassie beer. The kitchen was great too, plenty of room and great facilities. The main public area has a lounge (seems to be the same people sitting there every day), pool table & book shelves (needs more books and better space to read them), and still has some of the pub's original seating booths which is pretty cool.

We only stayed 2 nights and we didn't change rooms at all, so I can't speak for all of the rooms, but ours was terrible. It was one of the inner rooms, it had a window, which just looked directly onto a wall. The room stank and had no ventilation, it was horrible, especially after having done a hike, we wanted to air everything out. The room itself was generous enough for space, it had a sink and 2 bunks - not very comfy.

Backpackers are for budget and any real holiday includes very little time at the accommodation, so we spent most of our time seeing the awesome city of Hobart!

Not bad, until you get to the room.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Following a recent 4 day trip to Tasmania with my boyfriend, I was quite disappointed with the standard of hostels in the state. I have travelled extensively throughout Europe and South America and this, along with another hostel we stayed in in Launceston, were by far the worst hostels I have encountered, in regards to accommodation standards. The room we had was small and poorly lit, the furniture and bedding was extremely old and dirty. A policy of the hostel was to return the linen upon check-out. I felt sick when I saw the state of the doona, pillows and matress when I removed the linen - they were so extremely stained and yellowed, that they should have been thrown out and replaced decades ago. Our window opened out to a dirty crevice between the building, so we we kept it securely shut throughout our stay. Sorry, but the standards need to be lifted. I fell somewhat horrified at what foreigners think of our country. Some third world nations have better hostels than we do.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jade_alexandra21
Reviewed 26 April 2013

In all fairness, I stayed in about an 18 bed dorm, I didn't expect heaven. It smelt horrendous, and reminded me of horror movies with so many beds cramped into one space and poor curtains.
YET, the living area is so very friendly, the staff are helpful and seem to answer almost everything, the bar is open and the people are talkative (in the case of some WAY TOO loudly shoutative (yeah I know it's not a word).
Great tour comes with staying there, and though the hostel is more expensive than others in the area and the internet there is hideously frustrating, it is a warm and cosy environment compared to that with which you associate hostels. Thanks to the kind and helpful staff!

Room Tip: Depending on your budget, have a good think before you decide you want to take the cheapest room- it...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This hostel had such a cool vibe about it, I wish I could have stayed longer! The common areas are really chill, they provide tons of options to stay occupied in your off time. There's a large TV room with a big screen television and an absolutely huge DVD collection. There were always people sitting on the couches watching a movie. There's also a pool table, a little nook with bookshelves, a bar and hammocks in reception, and computers where they give you an hour of free Internet every day that you stay there. There are also little wooden dining booths lining the walls by the kitchen along with a fireplace. The walls upstairs have some awesome paintings all over them too.

My only real complaint was the room I was in because it was dim, cluttered, and kind of dirty, but it was a 12 bed dorm where plenty of the occupants had been staying long-term, so I understood. The kitchen could have been cleaner as well, but it's a backpacker hostel and I've seen worse.

There's also plenty of travel brochures around, and the hostel offers free trips up Mt. Wellington two days a week! The shuttle van picks you up at the hostel and takes you to the top (and if you don't want to walk, back down again). The views up there are gorgeous, so take advantage. The hostel is also in a great location, just a few blocks from Salamanca Market and a shopping area just down the street. It didn't seem like an overtly party hostel, but there were always people in the living areas and having a few drinks or just hanging out! Good, friendly place.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My stay at The Pickled Frog was a great experience. Though the place itself was kind of dirty, the staff and other visitors made for a great experience. The place is very relaxed and has pool/foosball/board games available! The location is great as well, only a few minutes of walking to get downtown.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends