“Needs refurbishing”
Review of The Pickled Frog

The Pickled Frog
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed at the pickled frog at the end of September for 4 nights in a twin share private room. The location is good, only takes about 15min to walk to the main places in hobart CBD. The staff were very nice and welcoming. The room I stayed in, to be blunt was pretty crap, in regards to the mattress I've slept on more comfortable rocks when camping, for a private room it's pretty standard to have somewhere to hang your clothes and all they had were 3 nails in the wall and only 1 coat hanger.. No chair( but not too fussed over that) but come on! Simple refinishing is a necessity with this place. the staff provided us with a heater for the room which was great, showers were good, unfortunately the staff decided to paint te common room at night which stunk out the whole building, our room reaked of paint.. No one needs that when trying to sleep. I'm sure the staff didnt know how bad that idea was but during the day when you could leave the doors open for better ventilation seemed the obviouse choice, over all there isn't enough bang for the buck. Has potential but not there yet

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Sweatywanderer

Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

We have a double room for 35$ each per night, the price is quite cheap so we weren't expecting the Hilton! They could put some more furniture in the bedroom, like a shelve or real hooks for towels, not only 3 nails in the wall. At the end we had one court hanger, and all our stuff on the dusty floor. I don't think a reject shop/ikea/target/kmart little cabin of 20/30$ will ruin the business of this hostel,plus hooks cost around 3$.
The worst part was the mattress!!! No mattress just springs with a little lawyers of cotton on top, after 2 night say good bye to your back,neck etc.. And as it is at 15 minutes walk from the city you would like to wake up rested and relaxed.
One night of my stay the staff had the sad idea to paint the reception. :(
It was raining and cold outside, so upstairs anyone had windows close... The fume of the paint and turpentine saturated completely the rooms and the walkway upstairs. I heard many people talking about it the morning after.It was almost difficult to breath.
I worked for a paint factory for long and for experience what they did was really dangerous, they could cause a shock (kidney or lever) of a weak customer , I'm sure they don't have a details health report of all the customers.

After that is true that the staff is really nice and helpfull!! Really lovely people, I asked about the paint intoxication and they apologies as well.. I think probably didnt know that the fume came upstairs.But this 2 guys can't do everything..

Less painting and decoration... Better mattress and furniture!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Bobbylee70
Frogteam, Owner at The Pickled Frog, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Hi

I am sorry you are not happy with our rooms. We will look into your suggestions.

If we are 15 minutes from town then you are more closely related to Gastropods than you might like to think. Its 800m to the mall for goodness sake. There are a million jokes about exaggerating here that I wont touch on.

I am sorry I was painting when you came. I don't have a spare hostel to put you in when we have to update/fix/maintain the one we have - like every other hostel/hotel around the world. If you come up with an answer to that problem though that could put the "Out of Order" sign on the extinction list - an unrelated ethical dilemma forming.

For the record, there were no liver failures or any other medical emergencies from...painting.

As per your suggestion we shall strive to do less painting and decorating in the future and promise to watch the place fall apart around us to keep you happy in the realisation that an unpainted, unmaintained accommodation facility will deliver a better experience for our guests.

Thank you for your input.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights. Was in Hobart primarily for hiking and rafting, with a bit of exploration of the city and the surroundings thrown in.

What's making me write this review is the hospitality of the two folks at the reception desk: Jimmy and Ema. Always ready to help the travellers out and naturally inclined to sorting you out of any sticky situations. Imagine a couple of your good mates, but only good looking (Yeah, I'm talking about them both. No, I don't swing that way.). I got a lot of help on my hiking prep from Jimmy and a lot of the city and surrounding info from Ema. I'm sure either could do both but my point is that there was always one of them around when I needed help.

Can't say much about the rooms cause I honestly didn't care much about them. I was out most of the day and came back for a quiet sleep, which the room did a good job of providing (It helped that Ema was nice enough to give me a room with no other occupants, owing to the low season time). There is a nice common room with a cosy atmosphere where I often went to read (Corner single couch with a little table at the front and a lamp at the back. Can't miss it.) before calling it a day, which was something I enjoyed.

Feel free to give this place a shot. It's friendly, situated well and aptly equipped. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Myself and 3 friends stayed here recently and we just wanted to say how nice the hostel is and recommend it to anyone travelling to Hobart. The dorm was really clean and there are good showers. Jimmy, one of the staff, gave us lots of good advice of things to do around Hobart and Tassie in general and drove us to the top of Mt. Wellington to hike down. He also has an amazing dog called Baloo who is just the cutest! The location is central and they have a handy little shop at reception that sells everything from toothpaste to beer - perfect!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed here for about 4 nights in May, and had a great time! Probably one of the better hostels I stayed in socially, its great for meeting people! Has a whole floor for the common area as well, including a bar. This is where you should stay in Hobart!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The reception smells like toilet. Stayed for 1 night in August in Pickled Frog. While it's 1C outside they didn't provide any heater for the room even when I asked for one. Won't stay here again most def and advice everyone to stay away from this here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank VahidY
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

The quirkiness of the decor and the tour options available throughout the week make staying here enjoyable. It can be quite loud at night if you have noisy neighbors, but otherwise a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013