“Mantra...good location but no soul”

Mantra One Sandy Bay Road
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Brisbane, Australia
“Mantra...good location but no soul”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location and even though the road is busy, the hotel is quiet. Our room was spacious with a separate lounge and bedroom joined by a small but functional kitchen. The bed was comfy and the room clean but it lacked soul and spirit. We had now window to open and the view was to the side lane and the bins bout I am sure some windows overlooked the park. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the park
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine G
Danny V, General Manager at Mantra One Sandy Bay Road, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay at Mantra One Sandy Bay. All of the apartments are individually owned and some have more pictures than others which I guess is what you mean by having no soul.
The apartments face different directions and have very different views depending which apartment you have. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mantra One Sandy Bay in the near future.

Danny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

On arrival at 9pm had to call from small box to get code to get room keys out. Had requested single beds. Arrived to King bed. This was rectified next day after seeing Reception.
Apartment very clean.
However. Washing/Dryer machine only washed towels at high heat despite us trying 3 times it would not dry. No Foxtel/Austar found on any of the channels as advertised. Car park was very small and hard to maneuver around. Handy to locations all around Hobart.
Would stay again. Apartment quiet.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
The cleanliness, location and size of the apartments often receive good feedback through all review channels. Reception is open through summer to 8pm and after this time the phones are manned by our night service team which enables our guests to retrieve keys and remotes for the garage.
We have 14 car spots for 53 apartments and does need to be booked directly with the hotel. The dryers are something I am looking into at the moment as we do receive a few negative comments about these.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I feel extremely upset and angry now! I stayed in mantra one sandy bay apartment for two nights and this hotel will deduct your credit card money without any informing and after you checked out... it is so terrible...everyone just be careful...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Vicky S
I am also disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay but unfortunately when a guest sets off the fire alarms, the hotel needs to be evacuated and Tas Fire & Rescue attends to the call, hence charging a fee for the false alarm.
I agree the reception team should have called you prior to charging your card and have now implemented a new policy ensuring this action is followed should this type of event occur again.
I hope you change your mind and do come and stay with us again in the future.

Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Flew into Hobart to do a fly-drive of Tassie, chose Mantra one because of central location, checked In and was told no parking available because we are such a small hotel but we can park outside, unfortunately all parking is metered and restricted to an hourly rate, which means if you want to walk around town you have to return to your car and top up the meter every hour or park your car a couple of Ks away which we did after receiving a $100.00 fine.
Generally found the hotel very dated and run down, lifts grubby and as one other traveller says its like staying in a prison.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank terry b
I was disappointed to read that you didnt enjoy your stay at Mantra One Sandy Bay. Unfortunately, parking is limited and does need to be booked directly with the hotel which we try to notify to all of our guests when we send out our confirmations. I understand this doesnt help you now, but parking after 6pm is free till 8.30 am and is free all weekend around the hotel. I have instructed my team to allow guests to use our carpark during the day should there be spots available.
The hotel has recently had all of the lift foyers and lifts freshly painted which has given the hotel a fresh new feel.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here for our frist two nights in Hobart and although it is located close to the Salamanca wharf area, the hotel itself was a bit of a let down.

The room itself was HUGE with a separate living area but was very sparse in furnishings. The furniture was quite worn and in general the room was very uninspiring.

When you entered the room you went straight into the bedroom then walked through the small kitchen area through to the lounge. At night it was hard to sleep as there was a large gap around the door where the light from the corridor area came through. It was also quite easy to hear people talking outside near the lifts which was annoying when you were trying to sleep. The bed was also very hard and uncomfortable.

We stayed in a different hotel for our last night in Hobart and only wished we had stayed there for our first two as well. Can't say we would recommend - there are plenty of other options which offer better value and comfort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank RenJ79
I am truly disappointed to read that you didnt enjoy your stay at Mantra One Sandy Bay.

The apartments are individually owned and some have more pictures and newer furniture than others. This is something that the team and I are working on, so that all of the apartments maintain and achieve an agreed standard.

The location and the size of the apartments often receive very positive feedback and I hope you change your mind and give me the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mantra One Sandy Bay in the near future.

Belconnen, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I chose Mantra One Sandy Bay as a nice, central location for a four day visit to Hobart. Most of the places I wanted to visit were within a 15 to 20 minute walk from Mantra One, and the reception staff gave me a map to show me where the closest supermarkets were located (Thanks!) I'd pre-booked parking (which is absolutely essential) and found the apartment perfect. Everything was spotless, and everything I needed was provided. I'll definitely be back: I ran out of time to visit MONA.

Room Tip: I had a quiet room with no road noise on the first floor - no view either, but that was fine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jennifer C
Its always a pleasure to read when our guests enjoy their stay with us and their time in Hobart. There truly is so much to do here and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mantra One Sandy Bay in the near future, where you can enjoy more of our beautiful city and of course head out to MONA.

Sydney, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Fabulous location so close to everything we needed to do.
Staff very helpful and very spacious rooms. Very clean
I loved it . Location location location location ........
Salamanca is just hop step and jump from here as is the ferry to Monarch. And restaurants galore within a very sHort walk

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Great to read that you and your sisters enjoyed your stay with us. The location is fantastic and I feel so is the team so thank you.