“Close to the CBD & Salamanca - won't get better at the price”

Mantra One Sandy Bay Road
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 1 March 2009

I stayed for a week for work and found this to be an excellent apartment hotel. They do have some strange room configurations as it's been built into an old warehouse or office building. This meant that I had huge windows in my lounge overlooking Mt Wellington but no natural light or windows in my bedroom at all. A bit unfortunate but as I was only sleeping in my room, I didn'y worry too much. Having a full kitchen was great. Bathrrom was also modern, clean and plenty of hot water (as well as a washing machine). I felt like was in an episode from a show on the lifestyle channel as it had very low key, streamlined and modern decor in a posh understated way.

It's close to nearly everything and well within walking distance of the harbour and docks as well as the market at Salamanca Place on Saturday. Leaving our luggae after check out was no trouble. I travel a lot for work and believe me - a hotel like this in another capital city would have cost at least half the price again.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 January 2009

Spacious luxury apartments. I found this on Wotif and then contacted the apartments directly. We had a two bedroom apartment, which was on two levels and absolutely huge, on the 5th/top floor of the complex at the side and thus had no problems with noise. The apartment was beautiful with microwave, dishwasher and all utensils. The bathroom was big with a washer/drier which was very useful after a fortnight in Tassie! Aircon was provided in the living room and the top bedroom which we did have on as it was warm in Tas. We booked parking under the building for $10 per night which was well worth the money for security and ease. This accomodation was perfect for us as we were out and about all day and wanted to self cater.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank EnglishAnna
Reviewed 12 January 2009

The apartments are ideally located right opposite David's Park and close to Sullivans Cove. The room we stayed in was luxurious, very clean and provided everything we needed. However our short stay in Hobart was ruined by the excessive noise levels experienced on the three nights that we stayed in the apartments (we were supposed to stay for four, but cancelled the fourth night). Granted we stayed over the holiday season - 29-31 December, but you don't expect your sleep to be disrupted by rowdy guests every single night. On the 29, other guests were shouting and banging doors all night and morning long, playing loud music until 3:30am. We complained to the management, they spoke to the guests making the noise, but this still continued. In the end we had to buy some ear-plugs, and we wore these every night, just so we could get a decent night sleep.

I think it is pot luck with these apartments, if you time it well, it will be quiet, but watch out for the major holiday seasons, as this is when the apartments will be full, and you could be left sleepless in Hobart.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank whiteknight5
Reviewed 29 October 2008

Mantra One Sandy Bay is a nice place to stay but not if you don't like the heat and don't like having a wall mounted air conditioner on 24/7! It's a real shame that you can't open windows anywhere in the whole building to let in that lovely fresh Hobart air!

The whole building is very hot and stuffy overall and the rooms facing the afternoon sun must be unbearable in the summer.

We thought we had found the perfect accommodation at last in Hobart for our yearly stays, but the overheated building and rooms have put us off.

You definitely won't want to stay there if you feel the heat and don't want to have your holiday spoiled with the continual drone of an air conditioner sharing your room.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank birdiegirl17
Reviewed 12 October 2008

A very classy self contained unit. We stayed in a twin share apartment that consisted of a bedroom, lounge, kitchen and bathroom/laundry.
This apartment was very comfortable with everthing down to the fixtures being lovely.
The shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and soap provided is gorgeous unlike alot of motels. There is no bath in this apartment. The bathroom doubles as a laundry with a washer/dryer combo and a wash tub. The toilet and basin is also in the bathroom. Seems like alot in one room, but it's not squishy.
The beds were super comfortable! The bedroom has a wardrobe, TV, bedside tables with dimmer lamps and one alarm clock.
The kitchen has everything from the more obscure kitchen utensils to a dishwasher and is very modern.
The lounge/dining area is quite spacious. The dining table sits 6 and the couch sits about 4. There is a decent stereo, TV and DVD player. I think I counted about 5 TV channels and they supply an informative tourism DVD on attractions around Tasmania which was helpful.
There is secure car parking and after hours entry including. Visitors can call you from outside by entering your room number then pushing 'Call' but you have to go down stairs to let them in.
The location of the Mantra is one of it's best points. We walked everywhere. It's only a few blocks from the Salamanca Markets, great eating spots, night life and shopping.
The only bad things I could say about the Mantra are that the rooms and hallway were a bit stuffy and only a sheet was needed at night with the air conditioner on. A full length mirror would have been great (but where there's a will there's a way and I used the window in the lounge :)

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2008

I located this hotel on Australia's wotif.com.au, wanting accommodation in Hobart for a conference where I was presenting.

I looked at the various reviews, compared prices, location and facilities, and eventually rang the hotel because I was concerned about reviews highlighting excessive noise. I was told this was a one off situation with the US Navy in dock.

The location was a short walk from the booked out conference hotel, but very close to visitor hotspots. I received an upgrade to a great room: King bed, full kitchen, separate lounge (large), two TVs, stereo system, and large bathroom with washing machine. This was a serviced apartment, so the rooms aren't made up daily. There is 24hr on site staff, although after 10pm they operate on a night staff basis where a key will be left in a safe box for late arrivals (I arrived after midnight). Wireless internet is supplied by external sources and is purchased on an hour, or larger block of time. This was my only disappointment, as many older BBs offer it free.

My guess is that those wishing fresh new accommodation to be used as a base to tour Hobart and environs and who are self-sufficient by nature will really enjoy their stay. And it was very quiet, and for me who is very sensitive to light, I got really solid sleep on a very comfortable bed. Pictures taken with my iPhone. Highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank flightwise
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We stayed here for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was everything that we could have hope for.

The rooms were comfortable and contained everything that we could have needed (ie. self contained). We had the choice to eat out or eat in, but with Salamanca Place and the Hobart Waterfront so close it is too tempting to eat out.

The price of the rooms is what is amazing. It is very good value for money. The staff were also very helpful.

I have noticed some of the comments about the noise. We did not find out room in any way noisy. We stayed on the 5th floor in a room that overlooked Battery Point, with glimpses of the Derwent. Room number 505. So if you are looking for a quiet, cosy stay then ask for either that room, or a higher floor at least.

I am from outer Hobart and still enjoyed a short getaway at this hotel.

We will stay here again the next time we are in Hobart city.

• Stayed: August 2008