“I love this place but”

Me Wah
Ranked #6 of 595 Restaurants in Hobart
Price range: US$7 - US$225
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Flinders Island, Australia
“I love this place but”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I've been to Mee Wah a lot over the years but whenever we've been a big (12+) party they have put us in a separate room and then the trolleys run out of food before they get to us. Usually I think Yum Cha is too fast but this is way too slow. We walked out much more hungry than the bill or the clock indicated we should.

2 Thank auntyfrank

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hobart, Tasmania
“Excellent celebration banquet”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We've eaten at Me Wah before so for a special birthday invited a group of 18 family and friends to enjoy a banquet there. We selected the Peony and were allocated one of the private rooms at the back of the restaurant.
The meal was fantastic. Service attention is very good and of the style not often seen in Hobart. Timing of the meal out of the kitchen and to table was spot on - not too fast, not too slow.... Regular checks from the allocated staff and Stephen the manager to ensure that we and our guests were happy. The Peony banquet is terrific - wonderful dumplings, chilli/salt bug meat and the salmon were my highlights, but I couldn't fault any of the dishes. Not many in our group are drinkers but for those that enjoy fine wine there is Tasmania's finest wine list...I certainly enjoyed my drinks.
From the booking process right through to Stephen kindly allowing me early access to the room to make some decorative preparations everything went off without a hitch.
I'd recommend Me Wah as a venue for a family dinner, celebration or a business meal.

Shoreham, Australia
“Rushed out because we had children.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We looked forward to the much hyped Cantonese restaurant, Me Wah in Hobart. The venue itself was lovely, the wine list was the best i have ever seen but that is where it stopped. We had fully intended to have a great family night here and this included taking our 3 children, 8,9 and 11 and all experienced restaurant visitors, for kids anyway. We chose our white wine and drinks for the kids, this took about 25 minutes on a 6pm booking and the waiter informed us how lucky we were as this was the last bottle. We then sorted out our food courses, thinking we would spend at least two hours dining and of course another bottle of wine. How wrong we were, just as we finished our lovely viognier, the food hit the table, all at once...After explaining we were not in that much of a rush, the waited laughed and walked off.

We took 20 minutes to eat the food which rapidly went cold and to my disgust the waiter asked me if i would like to order a bottle of red, after thinking about jokingly ordering the 82 Petrus magnum for $33,000.00 my wife suggested we just leave and have a drink at home, which we did.

Dont judge a book by its cover Me Wah......

• Visited May 2014
Thank martin and chri... d
Hobart, Australia
“Classy in every way”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great wine list by bottle, glass, variety, region, wine maker - you name it as there were 45 pages of beverages to choose from. Very impressive! The food menu also very comprehensive with styles to suit every palate. The service was second to none and this was on a Wednesday night... Wake up Hobart this is what dining is about and mind you at a reasonable price. Most mains we had $28-$36 so something for some pubs to think about with what they charge for a chicky schnity with chips for $28.... Bugger the pub get to this place and spend your dollar well.

Hobart, Australia
“Me Wah”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Was initially taken aback when I saw how expensive ( for Chinese ) the menu was, but the food and service was magnificent. Easily one of the best Chinese restaurants in Hobart..Cant believe I haven't been here before !

• Visited March 2014