“More backpackers than hotel”
Review of YTI Garden Hotel

YTI Garden Hotel
Ranked #137 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“More backpackers than hotel”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

The location of this "hotel" is fantastic, right in the middle of the CBD and close to Hardware Lane. Sadly that is where the good stops. To get to your rooms you travel in a small, noisy and dodgy elevator, the floor I was on and the room I was given smelt so badly of cigarette smoke and damp. The rooms are very rundown and shabby, the walls are scuffed and marked and dirty. The window in the room was cracked. The room faced an alleyway and was extremely noisy all through the night. The bed was rock hard and on inspection was a piece of well used foam on a dodgy mattress/ base. The tv was slightly bigger than a postage stamp, and could get 3 channels, the remote only worked within 30 cm of the tv. Service was non existant and I moved hotels the next day.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ABC123709

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2013

me and my girlfriend stayed there for one night, room was nice, but way to small then the introduce on there website.
the room smelt abit off when we got inside, there was no drinks or foods inside the fridge for choice of purchase, the tv only receives analog tv which i thought was very poor, not to mention the tv is only about 15" .

we asked for a queen sized bed but instead they put us in a room with a double. bathroom was a very tight squeeze too.
windows very thin, and drunken crowds come through the alley way next too the hotel , even with the windows closed it was very loud.
room was clean, and bathroom

the good side was it was close to everything and public transport. i wouldn't recommend it for people who are seeking a big room, only for those who are traveling or dont mind staying in a small room

Room Tip: only stay if you want to be traveling or if its just a place to crash back at after a night out in m...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Alice Springs
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

I stay for the location, certainly not the service. The rooms are adequate, reasonably clean, but getting quite rundown. As a place to sleep and shower it's ok. Just don't expect much in the way of service or extras. The wifi is a total ripoff. I was quoted $12 for half an hour of usage..outrageous. I'm sure they could afford to offer reasonable wifi.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MandyTaylor63
Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Hotel is well located in the heart of the city. But...
We booked (in 2012) for a double room for 4 nights(for begining of February 2013). We were very surprised that our room (on the 5th floor ) was way far from the image they present for it as promotion of their hotel. Our room was so narrow, that on the left side of the bed they could'nt put a simple little nightstand. So, no light either, and barely enough space to pass between the window and the bed. The room and bathroom were clean, but in a need of a good paint. We also asked that they correct their description, because it was confusing as who is having a little kitchenette and who is not. Apparently, they did so . Seeing us unhappy ,they offered to upgrade us for free, and we had a nice and clean little studio for our last 3 days in Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The hotel is in a very nice location in the middle of the city. The room is nice. The room service happens within limited hours only (if you missed it you have to wait to the next day). The worst thing about the hotel is the itchy bed, something in the bed really make this itch.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amr I
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed at City Garden for 4 nights during the week in March. I had room 405 which is on the alleyway 1 room back from little bourke st. I found it to be clean and tidy , though a fresh coat of paoint would go astray. The bathroom was very good as I loved the walkin shower and modern vanity and taps. Bed was comfy and made for me every day.
Kitchenette was a sink, minibar fridge with two electric hotplates and a fan above. This was adequately stocked with cutlery, crockery etc for two people and I managed to cook sausages and beans in the frypan and saucepan provided with ease.
I do have to agree with other comments on the TV - tiny with only the 5 main free to air chanells - why cant you have the other 10 free to air chanells ???
NOISE - hardly ever heard any of my neighbours which proves the walls atleast are quite soundproof. The windows on the other hand are totally different story. They are the old old steel framed ones that open outwards, and I swear there is absolutely no difference with regards to the streetnoise whether they are open or shut. I can tell you that the garbage truck stops at 4.25am for 5 minutes of good deisel idle time most days, and the milk delivery truck , also deisel with a refrigerated body and fridge motor humming away for about 20 minutes at around 5am every day I was there. By the fourth day I was nearly used to these wonderful deisel beasts waking me from my slumber, but not quite. I didnt bother asking to be moved to a "quiet" room as I fugured that it was full (I had only just been booking the room and there wasnt many left) and assumed I would get that same glazed look and "sorry we have none" as when I asked for a lid for the frypan.

So, overall it wasnt too bad , even though I am aa bit of a grump after not sleeping well.

Room Tip: bring earplugs
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This hotel is a hidden gem located in one of Melbourne's quaint "Little" streets (more like laneways). We were served by ever helpful staff who assisted us with booking a room (even though we were straight off the street looking for available accommodation), recommendations for sightseeing and places to eat and booking seats on the airport shuttle. We booked a deluxe double room which was light and airy with polished wood floors and a sparkling clean bathroom. Our room looked out onto the street below but there was minimal noise although it might be different on a weekend as we stayed midweek and on a public holiday. If you just need someplace to crash and sleep and want access to the city sights, this is the best place to do them from - the beds are wonderfully comfortable, we walked everywhere and you're surrounded by restaurants, pubs, cafes, fast food places. We will return to stay here anytime.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family