“Great location and value.”
Review of YTI Garden Hotel

YTI Garden Hotel
Ranked #142 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We live in the outer suburbs of Melbourne and came into the city for a show. This was our first time at the hotel. The parking was a short walk away, but not too bad. In fact, when we looked out of our window, we could see the car. :) The entrance is just a narrow doorway leading onto a small reception area. The girl there was quite nice & helpful. When I opened the door to the room, I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a huge room, but more than acceptable for the price. There was a kitchenette in the room, which we didn't need, but it would be reasonable. I'd been helping out with charity work during the day and was exhausted. The shower was great. I was very very happy.

All in all, a great location right near Hardware Lane. Clean and comfortable rooms and a great price. This will definitely be added to my list of places to stay when we come into the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JWood70

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I booked this hotel for three nights, booking the day before I needed to check in as I was suddenly called into town for meetings. There was plenty of availability and no problems at all with making the booking at short notice. City Garden is a very cheap hotel, I think I paid less than $300 for the three night. It's Little Bourke St location, just off Elizabeth St, makes it reasonably central to key shopping and dining precincts, and very close to trams to Parliament, the University of Melbourne and railway stations (which is where I was going).

I was in a studio style room with a small kitchenette. There was a stove, small fridge and basic utensils including a toaster and kettle. However there was no other way to heat up food, not even microwave. A sign in the lift did indicate that there was one in the laundry however I arranged to eat out each night so this was not a problem for me. The room was cozy, the heater excellent and the bathroom stocked with soap, towels, shampoo etc.

The biggest problem I had, and this is not the hotels fault, was that the road immediately outside the hotel was being ripped up and resurfaced for the days I was there which means loud machinery right outside my window from 6am. While this isn't the hotel's problem, it would have been nice to have been advised of "potentially disrupting road words" when I checked in. Not that I would have changed my booking (very few other places had rooms available due to my late booking, but the reason I stayed in town was to avoid having to be awake and on public transport from the suburbs at 6am!

Overall, a nice hotel which I would stay at again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Couldn't get a better location in amongst all the hustle and bustle of all activities - shops, dining, night life, walk everywhere etc. Very central. Small property with 4 floors. Ask for the top floor with the view to the street. Rooms are decent size with kitchenette etc.
Value for money but not the 5 star if you are looking for luxury. Great for laying the head and not the sort of place you would spend a lot of time in but this suffices the cost and stay in Melbourne. Will book again when in Melbourne. Excellent handy location. Staff nice enough. Room needs some loving though.
Booked the Deluxe for daughter and partner when they were in Melbourne. They then extended their stay in a cheaper room but they were still happy. They would book here again when back in Melbourne as for a young couple, this was just ideal. They had no complaints.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tweetcoz
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The room was cozy and the bathroom well appointed. The bed was large and comfortable, I had three solid nights sleep. As someone who usually doesn't sleep well in hotels, this was most appreciated. The room had a small kitchenette, but was not something I had to use.

The location was fantastic, close to Elizabeth St and interesting laneways with lots of bars and places to eat. The service by the staff was friendly and efficient, I felt welcome as soon as I arrived.

As a side note, a few days after checking out we realised we'd left left something behind. The hotel was very helpful in recovering it.

I look forward to staying again the next time I am in Melbourne!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is a bog standard just above back packers style Hotel.

It is location is its best asset.

The walls are thin, yes you do here everything.

The tv service is basic.

I was unware of any breakfast.

The room was very small with the bathroom being almost as big.

overall I got this room cheap on Agoda, it stated it was over $200 a night standard rate. A lot is needed if these prices are to be charged.

I got it for under $100 and I got what i paid for.

Room Tip: Stay if it is just over night and a place to crash and your out early. Get your meals in the lanew...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Geoman1
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Had another great stay here, was very quiet and was not disturbed by housekeeping until at least 2pm. Stayed with a friend, we each had single beds, room was very large and well catered to us both. There are shampoo, conditioner, and body wash amenities attached to the wall in the shower, with a push-to-use function. Beside the sink were body lotion and hand wash, in the same manner. Great location, beds were comfy and we had our towels and sheets changed daily. Right in the middle of Melbourne Central and the main shopping street which includes Myer/David Jones, this is the perfect place to stop and shop!

Room Tip: Room 216 was lovely and quiet, did not back onto an alley, as some people claim, and did not have an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sidy24
Reviewed 28 January 2014

City Garden Hotel is placed in the center of Melbourne, right next to Chinatown and in walking distance to Southern Cross station, where you get thrown of the shuttle bus from the airport. There are lots of great restaurants, bars and shopping possibilities nearby.
The room was small, old, ugly and did not in any way live up to the fairly high price. My windows were facing a shaftway between other rooms. Furthermore there is no free Wifi included, and its very expensive to buy access. I will look for alternatives next time i come to Melbourne.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business