“Right in the middle of everything”
Review of YTI Garden Hotel

YTI Garden Hotel
Ranked #134 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 9 August 2014

City Garden Hotel is located on Little Bourke Street, off Elizabeth Street. While on a quieter street, there is still enough movement later in the evening to feel safe walking back to the hotel late at night. Everything you could want to do in the CBD is within walking distance. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, and happily extended our stay for an additional day (for a fee, of course) as I was too sick to leave the hotel on the last day and we had an evening flight! The decor of the hotel is a little dated and the bathrooms have a bit of a 'shopping centre disabled toilet' vibe about them (i.e. not much in the way of decor) but both the bathroom and rooms are large, there is a bit more space than your usual studio apartment, and the rooms are clean.

One thing I did notice while I was in the room for a full day due to illness was the noise from the lane underneath our room (I think it might be Niagra Lane) when staff from the surround shops would use trolley's to move stock/rubbish via the lane. On the cobblestone road it made quite a bit of noise a few times throughout the day. But this really shouldn't be an issue since you'll usually be out and exploring Melbourne. I had no issues with the noise at night - I slept like a baby.

I'd happily stay here next time I'm in Melbourne.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed at the City Garden Hotel for 3 nights with my daughter and 6 year old grand daughter in a Deluxe Studio, on the second floor facing Little Bourke Street. We had two double beds which were very comfortable, the room was very clean, the linen was lovely and white, the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.
The hotel was very central for what we wanted to do for the 3.5 days we were there for.
I will be returning to Melbourne in a couple of months and will be booking this hotel again for my return visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Cindy0404
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed at the City Garden Hotel for 1 night in between leisure and business trips. For the price I payed - I was impressed. The hotel is very central, the front desk staff very helpful, and the room was spacious and clean. The only problem was a bit of noise at night, on the streets (I was only on the second floor) and in the corridors - but I managed to sleep anyway. The hotel also offers free wifi - which worked well. Don't expect anything fancy, but it is absolutely fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the free wifi.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed on the 5th floor in a two bedroom apartment which had great views of the city. Ample space for us as we where sharing with my parents..This is not a modern hotel but was okay for our four day stay.
Beds very comfortable, plenty of hot water for the showers with abundance of shampoo,conditioner and body wash..

The Kitchen could of been equipped with a little more crockery but we managed.
For the price we paid it was a great location, with in walking distance to everything...

The only negative really was the noise...Friday and Saturday nights extremely noisy with people enjoying themselves in the many bars below us. Take ear plugs to help block out the street noise if you want to get some sleep...

The staff where all very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryle719
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at City GArden Hotel for 5 days in July 2014. The studio I booked was perfect for the purpose of my business trip, as I was commuting to S. Kilda every morning for a conference. This small hotel met my expectations as advertised: very clean and quite comfy. The hotel was quiet, and I never heard my neighbours. The only time I was a little bit annoyed was on Saturday night, cause the night life was quite noisy until midnight. But not so much of a problem, since it must be expected if staying in China Town on a Saturday! The best things were the clean bathroom, the prompt change of my towels, tidiness of the kitchen and floor. A special note to the staff at the reception: they were very nice and helpful to fix a problem after I left the premises. I felt very safe and relaxed to stay there during the evening/night hours of my business trip. Definitely recommended. Solo traveller, 38 yo, female, Italian

Room Tip: room 506 was excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank pentolino
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I am always In Melbourne and wanted to stay somewhere different this time. Reasonably happy with the place, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was nice and new. Walls are pretty dirty and need to be repainted and it is very noisy. Also the exhaust fan in the bathroom was crap so we had to keep the bedroom window open to de-mist the mirror. Good location, central to everything.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had a studio apartment on the 5th floor which had full kitchen facilities, decent size bathroom, comfortable bed and closely located to Bourke St Mall and the associated shopping area. It also close to public transport. We loved the restaurants in the area which were varied and affordable. The big downside is the noise, and there is a lot of it, the apartment was on the 5th floor (the highest) and it felt like people were outside my room when in fact they were 5 floors in an alleyway. The hotel could invest in some double glazing to reduce the noise to allow a decent nights sleep.

Room Tip: Pick the studio apartment as I understand from our guests the other available rooms are very small.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo