“Never saw staff smile and Unfriendly. Go elsewhere.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Causeway 353 Hotel

Causeway 353 Hotel
Ranked #85 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Never saw staff smile and Unfriendly. Go elsewhere.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

Hello ! I just feel compelled to let you know about this hotel. I have been to melb before and stayed at some nice hotels there, always wanting to try something different I stayed at the 353.

Our room was a King Superior which were two beds pushed together. We could not cuddle in the middle otherwise we would fall down the crack. Very Uncomfortable to be in the middle. Our room was along a hall way, about 4 doors down from the lift, however if someone from the 16 rooms on our floor was to use it, the lift was so loud it would wake you from your sleep!

If you wanted to hear a "hello" Or "have a nice day" or "I hope you enjoyed your stay" or any sort of greeting I would advise not to come here. Front desk staff were not friendly or even crack a smile. I made it a game to try to get someone to smile. My score was Me 1 smile them 9 non smiles :).

Breakfast was included. Toast and cereal. Nothing to write home about.

The good thing about this hotel was its location. In the heart of everything. The view from my window was concrete.

I would also recommend anyone going to Melb to use the sky bus. To book a skybus back to the airport you need to book through the reception. I did that. They booked it but didn't tell me where it would pick us up from. So I asked on another day who told me it was on the corner, another person told me it was on the corer but across the road!!! I had to ask around 5 people to get one straight answer.

I have not written a review before and have been to a fair few places. I am not unfriendly and I don't expect the best. I do expect something around for what I paid for. I felt I was at a hostel more than a hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

I was very impressed with this hotel. The service was good. The room & bathroom were exactly as advertised. The room came with a hairdryer, iron, bar fridge, tea/coffee making facilities & a microwave. The king size bed is great & has good quality linen. The complimentary breakfast is more than sufficient. The best part is the location which is within walking distance to so many fabulous shops & restaurants as well as most of the city's attractions including the Arts Centre, the Aquarium, the Yarra River, Federation Square & Flinders Street Station. It's also nice and quiet making it easy to get a good night's sleep. The only downside is that there was only 1 window which didn't open so it can get a bit stuffy but there is air-con which was great. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and Melbourne was our first stop. The hotel is in a small alley (Melbourne has a lot of small alley filled with shops and cafes). The lobby is small but it does its job. We really liked the location of the hotel since it's VERY centralized to the main areas. Flinders Station, Federation Square, Chinatown, Elizabeth Street, CircleTram are all within a few blocks. Right outside of the hotel are cafes and shops that you can get food from if you don't know where you are going yet.

The room is not big or well decorated but it does its job. Our view outside of the window was the next door bldg, which we didn't mind since we didn't stay at the hotel that long during the day. The bathroom was pretty big with a glass wall as the shower door (no curtains). They do come in and change the linens each day with no hassle and everything was cleaned and neat. Limited channels on TV but we weren't there to watch TV anyway.

Overall, I liked it a lot just because of it's convenient location.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

No signs, really hard to find, even with a GPS - The entrance is down a dingy alley way. Check in service was really bad and unfriendly. We had to park across the road in a public garage that was only open during the day, and there was no offer to even help us with our bags. Breakfast is in the lowest part of the Hotel, a basement with no windows or character, and only cereals and toast. Overall very unimpressed, the hotel is nothing like it looks on the website

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glynnrieckhoff
Tasmania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel for four nights on business. The location was sensational. It's literally in the heart of Melbourne's CBD and if you like shopping, like me, it was great. I was so delighted that my room was really quiet and consequently I got a perfect sleep! That is not usual for CBD hotels in Melbourne. The hotel is really modern, just two years old and all amenities are like new. The breakfast was completely adequate and the pastries were delicious. The only criticism of this hotel is that the rooms/furnishings are quite dark, but for the money, comfort and locale, it was fine. I have stayed in quite a few other hotels nearby and this one is right up there in terms of style, comfort and value. I would highly recommend it as great place to stay for a shopping trip with the girls! I will be back and will tell all my friends!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Louisehod
Camrose, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

My husband and I stayed in the Causeway for 4 nights on a one month vacation in Australia. We found the hotel staff friendly and efficient. The room was clean and VERY quiet. The breakfast, which came with the room, was good and certainly met our needs. Finding the hotel is not as easy as one might hope and if you are looking for a view, forget this one but we were out wandering every day and enjoyed the quiet of this hotel. The location of the hotel is fabulous. Shopping, restaurants, transportation all right there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Albertameev
Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

Great hotel for its location. The rooms were fantastic, yet the staff were the rudest and most un-helpful i have ever come across. We were refused a late check-out twice, basically with the staff member saying it was 'tough'??!! Too many guests wanted it, so we wasnt allowed, and he didnt really care.
No greeting, or even a 'good morning' or 'hello' when you walked past, politeness goes a long way in my book, even more so when your spending a slight fortune in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple