“Quality from first to last.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Melbourne South Wharf

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Ranked #19 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
warwickshire
“Quality from first to last.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

From the moment we arrived the Hotel and its staff exuded quality. From check in to check out the staff were superb, helpful, professional and friendly, with a personal touch. We particularly liked the fact that they recognised and remembered you each day and welcomed you back to the restaurants.
We liked the location on the south bank of the river Yarra, loads of bars and restaurants all around, and about an easy, flat 20 minute walk to the City Centre. We also found it easy to stroll to the various lovely open grassy parks that ring the outskirts of the CBD and also to the Cricket ground and Rod Laver Arena.
As for the Hotel décor, as other reviewers have stated, the foyer and we felt the corridors and doors could be a little brighter, but our Queen family room was beautifully appointed and very clean. The floor to ceiling windows from our 16th floor room afforded magnificent bay views of the sea, and weren't spoiled by the views of the freeway or the retail outlets below, most spectacular when picking up the night time lights of the City. We slept very well in the comfortable bed and experienced no noise.
We loved the very extensive breakfast, and ate at the Nuevo 37 restaurant in the evening, which we found to have a varied menu and very good service.
We had a lovely stay in Melbourne and were very pleased with our choice of Hotel.

Room Tip: We found a high level room great for views and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

Brett Christ, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Overall the hotel location is great, it's pretty close for places to eat etc. In general the service of the hotel staff was quite good but felt at check in any questions we asked was a bit of an inconvenience to answer but overall service was good especially the concierge team who were always happy to help. Breakfast was pretty good with a decent selection. Staff there were very attentive and helpful. I would probably come back. Executive lounge was also nice with a good view.

Stayed January 2014

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

A business trip followed by a few days of leisure. Josh at the front desk was exceptional in arranging my extended stay which included a change of room. Nothing was too much trouble and the transition between rooms was smooth and efficient. I chose to dine in (solo) during one night of the business part of my trip, even though I am used to this while on business , it can sometimes be an awkward experience. The restaurant staff were very friendly and welcoming and made me feel comfortable and the food was superb. Breakfast buffet is also of a very high standard with many options and the array is continually being refreshed and attended to by attentive staff. The hotel has a contemporary modern feel which suited my taste. Rooms were well appointed with extremely comfortable beds and luxurious spacious bathrooms. I hope to return when next in Melbourne .

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

For the Australia Day Celebrations, we rewarded each other a well deserved weekend at Hilton South Wharf Melbourne. Arrived at 2 pm with no greeting from Bell Boys or Concierge, who must have been on a well deserved break themselves. Front desk was polite but we sensed that we were somewhat of an imposition. No offer for assistance with direction or luggage so I saved myself a handsome tip. The very well appointed "Relaxation Suite" with city views was located on the North East corner of the building which was perfect for the proposed fireworks at Docklands & simply just taking in the amazing river views. However, what's the point of having beautiful floor to ceiling windows with uninterrupted views when the windows are disgustingly filthy. House Keeping? I hear you ask? yes, on the same break as the Bell Boys, Concierge and Window Cleaners! So to sum up this hotel, I would say that it's a very expensive over rated 3 star Hotel in a fantastic location. On a positive note, A wonderful waitress 'Raissa' in the Executive Lounge completely took us by surprise when she made an enquiry for us at her own initiative. She made us feel welcome and valued as Hilton guests. Interestingly, Raissa is Maltese and has been in Australia only 2 weeks!! She's definitely the best asset Hilton South Wharf has. Would we return to this hotel? NO! not unless Hilton picks up it's '5 Star' game and gets in touch with international comparatives.

Room Tip: ask to see the room before committing. try the North East corner which is sun drenched in the mornin...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 1297domenic
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
I appreciate your feedback comments and have discussed them with my Team. We are all very disappointed by what you experienced during your stay. Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Once again, thank you for all your loyalty and support of this hotel and the Hilton Brand. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,

Kanu Mathur
Guest Relations Manager
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Great hotel. Modern clean and wonderful staff. Beautiful bed. A bit removed from the central city, but close to transport and lots of restaurants/bars in the vicinity (including a short walk to Crown).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

We booked this hotel as a friend had previously recommended. If I was coming to a conference at the convention centre and the price was right, I would consider staying here, but otherwise would stay closer to the city. Night life is starting to spring up around the wharf area, but it's still quite a long walk through relative dark areas from Southbank, past the convention/exhibition precinct to get there.

Our issues started at check in. I had booked on line and thought I had pre-paid. Turns out only a portion (2/3rd) had been pre-paid and the remainder had to be paid at the hotel. They insisted that despite no mention of credit card fees on the website, the balance (if I used my credit card) would be subjected to 1.5% fees. I find this extremely irritating when you are already paying a lot for the hotel that they then insist on additional fees. They also held $100 per night on my credit card for 'incidentals' which added up to almost $400 that was held for 3 days even after we had left!

We had booked a family room as we needed two beds and had requested a quiet room. We were kept waiting 20 minutes at the check in counter while the girl helping us had to keep going out the back to check things with other people? We were asked twice if we really needed two beds - as friends travelling together we thought having specifically booked a room with two beds should have been a clue that we wanted two beds! Perhaps she was new, I have no idea, but it all seemed unnecessarily slow and painful, particularly when we were in a hurry to get to the room, freshen up and get to a pre-booked engagement that evening.

Eventually when we got to the room it was nice. The beds were indeed comfortable. They claim to have a pillow menu but there was nothing to read in the room. You had to ring the "magic' number and discuss your pillow requirements with someone. We asked for two pillows (one for each bed) but only one was delivered, requiring a further phone call we when returned to the room after dinner. There were no face washers in the bathroom, but they were delivered promptly when requested. One of the hand towels in the bathroom was dirty on our arrival - looked like dried makeup stains and was exchanged by housekeeping. The toiletries were nice but there were a few things missing - no makeup wipes or cotton buds, which you presume will be supplied at a 5 star hotel.

The beds were indeed very comfortable and the block out blinds fantastic. Our room was almost at the end of a hallway and was generally very quiet apart from when someone in a neighbouring room arrived in the early hours of the morning. Nothing the hotel can do about people being inconsiderately noisy... but it just added to the irritation. The bathroom was large and the shower nice and strong, although late at night there seemed to be no hot water. The 'magic' advisor suggested running the hot water tap in the basin at the same time as the shower, to see if the water would heat up quicker. The basin was also very slow to drain at times.

Overall not a bad experience, just not as good as I was expecting.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hallways are generally quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Seabird21
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I genuinely appreciate your feedback rating and comments and have discussed them with my Senior Management Team. I sincerely apologise for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

This hotel has a great location in the South Bank area very close to the casino and most importantly, right next to the convention centre. It is a very modern hotel although some parts of it is showing its age. Great views to be had if you were given a room facing the city and the river! There is also a fantastic wine and tapas bar which is not to be missed.

The rooms are great. Comfy beds. Bright lighting. Powerful showers. Everything worked. They were clean too. No complaints at all. It has all the ticks for a 5-star business hotel. But a 5-star should not only be focused on the physical condition of the property because more often than not, it is the service provided to guests that mattered more.

As a Diamond HHonors member, I am a little disappointed at the level of service provided at this hotel. I I was given an upgrade on one of my two recent stays but service in general was very cold and a tad inefficient. For example, I had to call twice to request for a toothbrush kit because they had forgotten that item when they delivered the extra towels. Not sure why they provided that in the Executive Room but not in the standard rooms.

What I found most interesting was when I called and asked for the General Manager’s email address, the staff member had to put me on hold and then shortly return to say “I am not allowed to give that information to you but you can email his Personal Assistant”. I was utterly shocked because never would I have imagined that a Hilton GM would want to be so out of touch with his/her guests.

I have previously stayed at the much older Hilton Melbourne at the other end of town. Despite the age of the rooms, the staff members there did a fantastic job in making up for the lack of “hardware”. They were extremely personable, hospitable and efficient.

All in all, it is a solid business hotel in a good location but I am sure that it can do much better if only the lifted their game a little and ensure that guests are not treated like just a number!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I appreciate your comments and have discussed them with my Team. I sincerely apologize for the disappointment you experienced during your stay. I can assure you that each of your concerns have been addressed with the relevant teams and appropriate action will be taken.
Once again, on behalf of my team I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced.
Hope this one off incident does not change your decision to stay with us in the future.

Safe travels.