“Style over substance”

Ranked #83 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Style over substance”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We chose this one because of the overall high rating reviews, but soon found that it wasn't for us.
Bear in mind that the 3 of us, all family, are in our 60's, so may see things differently to others a bit younger.
The first impression was good-a modern, bright room with a glass wall and a view.
Then we moved on and our spirits sank. The main bedroom was small but OK, though only a small wardrobe and no suitcase storage.
The en-suite was very disappointing, with only a flat, vertical cupboard for toiletries, 2 door hooks, no towel rail,and no towel shelf-really, just nowhere to put anything. You had to drape things over the toilet!
The large light in front of the mirror wasn't working, but they soon fixed the faulty wiring.

The second bedroom had 2 singles in it, making accessibility very tricky, as the room was small.
We weren't expecting the en-suite to be a toilet with a hand-basin and shower, but that's what it was.
No cupboard or shelf space for anything. Shower curtain as well.

Now we all know that women, generally, carry a quite large range of cosmetics, toiletries, hair care items and so on. I know my wife does. So these 2 bathroom posed a big problem.

None of the rooms had anywhere for suitcases, so we ended up putting them under and by the TV.

Due to lack of storage, we couldn't unpack fully so lived out of cases to some extent.

There was no compendium, just a small computer screen. I wanted to ring reception to report a couple of minor lighting problems, but couldn't find the number to ring after looking through the screen choices. I had to go down in the lift and ask the staff. They said it's available on the computer device, so I said show me where. Eventually it was found under hotel facilities, the last entry, but it was not under important phone numbers where you'd think it might be. Very odd and not user friendly.

The 2 women on the group wanted to walk out then. We talked about it and decided to stay one night, as we were tired from travelling, and see what options we had the next day.
But we were so annoyed with the apartment that we decided to go and see what we could do.
We explained that the rooms were just too small, and were told that they were the largest available.
So we asked for an alternative site as we didn't want to ruin our annual holiday with such unsatisfactory accommodation. He rang around but everything within Melbourne was booked because of the football.

We stayed 3 nights and on the next day did a walking tour of the CBD lane ways. This took us past Punthill Flinders Lane, and I suggested that we check it out for future use. We explained our situation and the staff there said that they had a 2 bed apartment just become vacant. We asked to have a look and once we saw how much better it was we asked if we could relocate.
This they were eventually able to do so we rushed back, packed quickly, and moved over.
This place felt right.

Other problems with the South Yarra Grand: bedside light set too low and non-adjustable for reading; new computer information system unpleasant to use, frequently froze, had very little info that was any use to us, and was not explained when we arrived; cleanliness was OK though we did find a couple of minor areas that needed a wipe; bedrooms not heated or cooled; kitchen space extremely restricted; no pantry; weather details on screen didn't match those provided in the lift or in the media; storage overall very poor; outdoor setting grubby-though we didn't use it.

Staff were polite and helpful, though the new computer system and how to contact reception should have been explained on arrival, and we would have appreciated the local map that we only received on the second day by chance. We don't want to sit down and learn a new computer system after a full days travel, either.

I realise that a lot of reviewers like this place, and good luck to them. From our perspective, we hated it.

Room Tip: if you like a bit of space to put things, be very careful!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Geraldton, Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Our family flew over for a family function, we had in total 4 apartments.
One was for our daughter and new baby, Adrian at reception was the highlight of our stay.
He made us feel so welcome and was marvelous with our daughter and granddaughter.
His suggestions of food outlets and restaurants was spot on. All the reception staff were fantastic and Punt Hill management should be extremely proud of them especially Adrian.
We stayed in the 1 bedroom apartments and 1 studio room, I was surprised at how big the studion room was.
This is a fantastic location, great shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl J
canberra
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed with my daughter in a Studio for two nights recently and found it a great place to stay. The guys on reception are switched on, friendly and have local knowledge on cafes & shopping. Our studio was on the 7th floor facing away from the train station which meant we had a good nights sleep. The location is very good and minutes walk to the train station or the tram. Saturday and Sunday have all day travel for around $3.50 so you can get around the city. Thanks for posting my daughter's skirt back as left in the room. Loved our stay in Melbourne.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank canberra1
Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Stayed for business for 2 nights at the end of August. Got it for a good price on hotels.com. On arrival all good - quick check in, free parking (bonus) and got top floor. Went to apartment - looked nice, clean etc. However after sitting doing some computer work, the train noise was reasonably loud. I know trains start quite early and didn't want to be woken at 5:00am! So i shifted rooms which was done quickly without fuss. New room fine - different lay out as it was fitted for disability, but noise from train much better

The biggest issue i have (and scoring a 3 instead of 4) is that i smelt smoke coming into my room from another room across the hall. I rang reception who said he would look into it. 20 min later i rang again and he said it was likely to be from an apartment what is an owner/occupier, so he can't do anything about it. Not so keen on staying if i have to have cigarette smoke in my room!

Room Tip: Away from train line
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Scott_Fiona_Anjali
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Hi,

I have just come back from a weekend away in Melbourne. We stayed at the South Yarra grand Hotel in the 1 bedroom apartment on the 12th Floor.

Well I have to stay that this place is great place to stay. The 1 bedroom apartment is not to small and not to big just enough space for two people.

There is secured parking which cost $12 a night but we weren't even granted a spot we just had to make hope thats there was a spot when we get back from sigt seeing.

But overall I was very happy with this apartment. I would recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights over the weekend. Very nice apartments, fully self contained and close to all you need.

Across the road from the South Yarra railway station, so handy to get into the city, and within walking distance of Chapel St and lots of good restaurants and shopping.

Recommended for the price was on special at $145 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for room at rear of property away from railway line
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Enjoyed my 8 nights in my studio apartment. Everything I needed. One day when I got back from being out room service hadn't finished on floor but staff were very obliging and catered to my early return to room. The two managers were fantastic. Couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. I have one query as I think I left an item behind but waiting on a response 24 hours later.

Fantastic restaurants and facilities nearby including the best tapas I have ever had in lane way beside apartments. Will definitely stay again. Well done Punthill South Yarra Grand.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
KeiranS, Public Relations Manager at Punthill South Yarra Grand, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Jewels0856

Thanks so much for leaving your comments on Tripadvisor. 8 night's in a Studio Apartment at South Yarra Grand sure is enough time to get a good feel for the local area. We are so fortunate to have some of the best new restaurants in Melbourne opening on our doorstep and I agree; the tapas at Veloce are amazing!

We are pleased to say that are management/front desk pride themselves on offering excellent service and your comments certainly support their high standards.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.