“Best dumplings I've ever had!”

Hutong Dumpling Bar
Ranked #116 of 4,179 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I reckon that I'll have to wait until I visit China for better dumplings. Hu Tong dishes out the best dumplings in Melbourne and the staff will even take time out to teach you how to eat them properly!
They accomodated our large group of 9 with three days notice under the condition that we were there at 6 and out at 8 - sounds a bit full-on but those who are well acustomed to asian eateries will know that this isn't uncommon as you are there to eat, not muck around. My style of restaurant.
The rest of the food on the banquet menu was ok, highlights being the eggplant and scallops and the beans with garlic and chilli.
But having now eaten there next time I come back I'll just gorge on dumplings and wash it down with icy cold beer.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Hand made downstairs, this place has the best dumplings in melbourne. The soup dumplings are divine (shao long bao). The other dumplings and dishes are also great. Go with a big bunch of people so you have order heaps and share it to have a taste of everything. Make sure you book! Often booked out in advance.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

My problem with this restaurant is the necessity to wait 45 mins, and have your name on list for dining when you see that there are tables free. But i have to say it is worth the wait

Reviewed 14 February 2013

We had a very quick meal before heading out to the airport this week. We hadn't booked, but were able to get a table. Meals came out very quickly and were very good. One of our group has yet to be converted to the delights of dumplings, so no dumplings but great food. The meals weren't dripping in oil as many Chinese meals in Australia can be, and everything was tasty and fresh

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Great dumplings.
A seat on the ground floor allows you to observe the dumpling making in action.
The service is fast and the place bustles. Food is served quickly and is hot and fresh. My visit at lunch time shows that it is not a place to linger, they are very busy turning tables over quite quickly.
Eftpos and Credit cards only allowed for purchases $30 or more. I was having lunch on my own, so the bill was under $30 and I didn't have enough cash, but plenty of cards .... embarassing experience.