“Disappointing”

Fraser Place Melbourne
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was actually looking forward to the stay in Fraser Place since most of the reviews were generally above average. However, I was disappointed upon checking in as they did not assign me the room with balcony which I booked through Expedia. Have enquired with the frontdesk but the lady told me it will depend on availability at times. But shouldn't Fraser remove this option while booking if this is not available? I would have booked other apartments if I knew I would not be assigned with balcony room.

Moreover the room was small and there's 2 planks of wood outside the window which completely blocked the views. Heater does not work at all when the night temperature dropped to 4 degrees celcius. Despite trying to up the temperature myself using the climate control on the wall and called the front desk to adjust for me, there was still no difference. Was freezing all night.

Room is clean and wifi works well after some help from Alex of front desk and its convenient to walk to the free city circle stops. Staff were mostly friendly too.

However with their booking fee, I am sure I can find another place with better views, location and facilities since the room assigned to me was really very standard.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessyslee
Marcus_Packham, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Fraser Place Melbourne.
I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Unfortunately rooms with balconies are subject to availability and we do try our best to meet all our guests’ requests.
Your comment in relation to the heating is something we have discussed with maintenance and housekeeping to ensure they are checking rooms for faults that can be repaired prior to guests checking in.
I am happy to hear you found our staff friendly and the room was clean.
I do apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact myself direct on 03 9669 6888 so I can ensure your next stay is more enjoyable.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,027)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Staying 4 nights we wanted self contained accommodation and their location, towards the north of the CBD suited our plans. Located in Exploration Lane near Latrobe & Exhibition Streets, close to entertainment venues as we found as our 1st floor apartment overlooked Bennetts Lane where the long standing Jazz Club operated. This was fine as we went there one night but beware as on some nights the late night crowd can be noise when leaving. That said, the rooms were comfortable and well appointed with a good kitchen giving the capability of preparing a complete meal. Bedding and all services good with friendly reception staff able to give advice on e.g. local lunch spots.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Your kind comments on our comfortable rooms and well equipped kitchen are much appreciated.
I am happy to hear you found our friendly reception staff very knowledgeable of the area and was happy to go to them for suggestions on where to eat and what to do around Melbourne.
Please do not hesitate to contact us on 03 9669 6888 should you wish to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Being part of the chain of Fraser Hospitality, I thought it was an apartment to look forward to. It did not start off too well from the time I reached Southern Cross Station in Melbourne CBD via the SkyBus shuttle from the airport. The complimentary hotel shuttle by SkyBus was closed after 6pm on weekends so I had to take a cab to Fraser Place. The cabby did not know Fraser Place's location and had difficulty locating it on GPS too.

The lukewarm service I received upon check-in was a stark contrast from the warm welcome in Tasmania hotels. Most of the hotel staff were also expressionless when I met them along the corridor or lobby, no greeting or smile at all. Throughout my 4 nights of stay, I only found 2 front desk staff polite and helpful, 1 of them was Laura and the other was a guy who looked local. Even housekeeping service seemed substandard. The toilet bowl was unflushed and filled with toilet paper when I returned to my room 1 evening. I always flush the toilet after use, so who else could have done this other than the housekeeping staff?

As for my studio deluxe room, the light above my bed kept flickering and it took them 1 day to rectify the problem because there was no maintenance staff on duty on Sundays. The room was quite spacious and comfortable though, and glad that complimentary L’Occitane bath products were provided. But I just found it weird that there is no clock or alarm in the room at all, shouldn't this be a basic amenity in the apartment?

As for the location, the serviced apartment is in a small quiet lane off Little Lonsdale Street. This meant that tour operators, cabs and even the SkyBus were unable to pick me right in front of Fraser Place. I was always dropped off at Marriott Hotel, round the corner along Exhibition Street. After 5pm when the sun set and it got really dark, it was a bit scary to walk to and fro the serviced apartment.

I do not think I will return to Fraser Place Melbourne if I visit Melbourne next time. It is not worth spending my money on, in my opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back wing are too quiet and feels scary especially if you get a corner room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank travelpenchant
Marcus_Packham, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Guest
I am very disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I will certainly be discussing your comments in relation to the customer service and the issue with housekeeping with all staff, as the lack of friendly customer service you received is disappointing.
Your kind comments on our comfortable, spacious rooms are very much appreciated and I am glad you enjoyed the LÓccitane bathroom amenities provided.
I do apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. If you travelling back to Melbourne any time in the future, please do not hesitate to contact myself on 03 9669 6888 so I can ensure your next stay is more enjoyable.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at Fraser Place for 2 nights. The room was clean, spacious and well equipped. Only complaint was the heater/air conditioner noise that was constant which made it difficult to sleep. We had also left the 'please tidy up my room' sign up for the room to be cleaned which was done well, however we had noticed that the bed sheets were not changed although we had followed the procedures requested by the hotel. This would not have been an issue if there were no noticeable stains that were on the sheets...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela H

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay at Fraser Place Melbourne.
I am happy to hear you found our rooms to be clean, spacious and well equipped.
Bed sheets are changed every second day unless guests request otherwise. I will speak with our front office and housekeeping teams so we can ensure there are no communication breakdowns between these two departments when guests have housekeeping requests.
I do apologise for this inconvenience. Should you wish to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact myself on 03 9669 6888 so I can ensure your next stay is more enjoyable.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Good location, efficient service, clean surrounds, friendly staff, close to everything good about Melbourne, value for money. Have stayed a few times in the past couple of months now, impressed. Noisy air cond / heater though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Marcus_Packham, General Manager at Fraser Place Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest
Your kind comments in relation to our friendly staff, cleanliness and location are very much appreciated.
I am glad to hear that you have chosen to stay with us a few times and hope that each stay is as enjoyable as your last.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Check in I felt appeared unfriendly and unwelcoming. Room had everything and bed was comfortable. A/C is noisy but for me the mattress in a commercial hotel not having a mattress protector and the bottom sheet being too small to be tucked in was a complete turn off! Carpet in room needed a good vacuum. Great location though and nice brekky.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest
I am happy to hear you enjoyed our breakfast and found our beds comfortable.
Your comments in relation to housekeeping and the unfriendly welcome you received is concerning. I will certainly be discussing these issues with our housekeeping and front office teams.
Should you wish to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact myself on 03 9669 6888 so I can ensure your next stay is more enjoyable than your last.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed 8 nights at the executive room . Besides the noisy heater/air condition, it was a good stay. The room was spacious with complete kitchenette and a washing machine. Room was sunny, on level 8 with a small balcony. Front desk and housekeeping staff was friendly. Location very convenient ,walking distance to most of the city's attraction. Would definitely stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors facing outwards
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing feedback on your stay at Fraser Place Melbourne.
I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and found our rooms well equipped, spacious and comfortable.
Your kind comments on our friendly staff are very much appreciated and I will ensure your feedback is passed on to them.
Please do not hesitate to contact us to arrange any future bookings you may require. We look forward to welcoming you back.