Art Series - The Blackman
  • Fitness centre
  • Spa
  • Pool
2,340 results
All reviewsst kildafrench cafedeluxe studio suitealbert parkdepot de painrestaurants downstairssmart cartram stopsmall kitchenettebotanical gardensloved this hotelchapel streetthe ground floormini barspa bathcomfy bedmodern hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My husband & I stayed here for our wedding anniversary and absolutely loved everything about it! From the unique artwork throughout the hotel to the attention to detail in each room, they really have thought of everything here, to make your stay one to remember.
We stayed in a standard room but it was still more more than spacious enough for just the two of us. Gorgeous decor and amenities - loved the kitchenette facilities - a definite plus! The bed was like sleeping on a cloud!! One of the best nights sleep I have had in a hotel ever.
Great location - great staff - very efficient & friendly with our requests - loved the smart car available for hire - what a great idea!!! We will definitely be back - next time we think we will bring the kids - they would love the arty touch to the hotel! And the checkout time of 11am was just the best - it was lovely to have our continental breakfast on the balcony, reading the paper while enjoying the sun rising over the Melbourne skyline on a Sunday morning - without the usual rush of packing up to checkout!
We would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in Melbourne!!!

Reviewed 10 August 2011

The Blackman was a beautifully appointed hotel which is ultra sleek and modern. The hotel staff were professional and courteous and check-in was a breeze. The bed was probably the best bit, it was amazingly comfy! Our room was very clean and in my opinion the house-keeping staff appear to take pride in their work. The internet prices were very reasonable @ $10 a day and the connection was fast and the WiFi system flawless. My only complaint with the Blackman was my credit card was charged 3 days after our stay for a mini bar charge of about $30 after we did not consume anything. This was however quickly rectified with a quick phone call and a refund was issued so no big issue, just glad I checked my internet banking. Overall I would be more than happy to recommend this hotel to other travellers and will defiantly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I and my husband were there on 25-26 July, we were upgraded to a deluxe suite that very much impressive and made the best night in Melbourne. That were our second chance in Melbourne, the hotel is very much beautiful and the people's there are really service-minded. They know what we want as I had a meeting with my husband but I had arrived earlier I had told him the old room number, before room changed and upgraded to deluxe, I have to say thank you very much to the front staff that she put my husband just right the door.

The decoration is awesome and totally neat, the kitchenette is real you can fully use it, 42" LCD TV makes we feel like home, books and magazines provided helps to jump the time and I won't forget how comfortable their king-size bed is.

Room Tip: ask for the lakeside view
2  Thank Helen T
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Upgraded to Junior Suite - what an amazing experience, felt very special. Beautiful furnishings, artwork and book collection. Will be back. Everything you could wish for in a very convenient location. Tram a spit and a hop away either into the city, to St Kilda or to Chapel Street and Prahran Market.
Desk staff very helpful and efficient.
Two downsides one was the staff seemed overwhelmed in the cafe on the morning I had breakfast there with family and friends, yet they didn't seem to be overly busy.
The other quoted one price for my stay and was charged another - have sent off enquiry but have not yet had an answer. Hope I will hear from them soon but all in all a fantastic place to stay and will stay there again. Trip planned for same time next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Jewels0856
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Wow, we thought this would be the best hotel we had ever stayed in at a price of $155 per night, but no somehow when we booked it turned out to be $225, so whatever we say we'll still like to stay at the hotel, because after all it's the only art styled hotel in Melbourne. We arrive and check it out, the balconies looked unsafe and the T.V. was blaring the Blackman advertisement. Movies were pay-only, food and bar was over-priced, and if you wanted to take anything you could, for $10000 (the bed). There wasn't any toothpaste or toothbrushes, but there was a shoe polisher. We order pizza for a relative price, and open a bottle of Champagne (oops, I mean "Sparkling"). Wow, $5 tray charge, wow $10 credit card fee (if I had know that cash was an option, I would have preferred to just get it out of the atm), also the Sparkling was $5 extra than the card in our room said, who knows why. So with all the rip-offs aside, the first night I wake up earlier than I would have liked to a horrid smell of poo and urine coming from the hallway outside our room. I open the balcony door, trying not to fall off the building, to let some fresh petrol air in from the constantly busy St. Kilda Road. It was still better than the stench coming from oblivion. After a bit more rest we head out and ask the staff what the sewerage smell is. Without batting an eye, they say it'll be gone in a few hours. I decide that if it's not gone when we get back, I will be requesting alot in compensation. It was gone, but replaced with a perfume that stank almost worse. The second night we wake up and go down stairs to the "de pot de pain" which was fairly ok, but of course over-priced and the coffee really wasn't as good as some other cafe's in Melbourne, but they did have no-meat options. The pizza and champagne were good but, once again, I am not a high-class citizen with wealth dripping out my veins, so it was an unpleasant exchange of money. Next time I am staying at the guesthouse at the Nunnery, I am sure I will be treated much better. Plus the internet was extremely, over-priced I could have cried. The only upside about the whole stay was the Iphone dock.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, stay at a cheaper, nice smelling hotel.
7  Thank BurgerTown
Ben_Ezard, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I was extremely disappointed to hear the number of issues you encountered during your recent stay at The Blackman. I can assure you that this is not a clear of how our hotel operates.
With regards to the incorrect rate, please feel free to contact us and we would be more than happy to refund the difference back to you, all we would need was just a copy of your booking confirmation.
You were absolutely correct when saying that our bedding is for sale, however not at the cost of $10,000 you suggested. Our mattress prices start at $949.00 and the most expensive item we have is the King Bed ensemble for $2,499.
As this is the first time we have had any comments on our balconies being unsafe, I woud just like to assure you that they have been approved by the appropriate authorities and pass all current building regulations.
I would like to apologise for you not being aware of our 1.5% credit card surcharge, it is stated on the registration card that all guests sign on arrival and all guests have the option to pay using cash or EFTPOS to avoid this.
You were right in saying that there is no toothpaste in the room, we do however have dental kits which contain a toothbrush and small toothpaste in the event of a guest forgetting these items. All dental kits are available upon request.
I was very sorry to learn of the smell that you encountered in your room and would like to apologise for the matter in which it was handled. I assure that the smell was not that of sewerage, we have since identefied the cause and steps have been taken to make sure that no guest is affected by this again.
Thank you once again for this feedback, we have taken all of your comments in good faith and discussed them at our last team meeting.
We look forward to hearing from you again very soon, so that we can rectify any remaining issues and hopefully welcome you back to The Blackman and show you how magical this hotel can really be.
Kind Regards,