“New, pretty, fresh”

Ranked #13 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“New, pretty, fresh”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times now. My first stay was on the western side and when I arrived in the evening there was a beautiful sunset-kissed view over Albert Park Lake. My second room was facing north and was nearly identical bar the view. The hotel is only a year or two old (I think?) so everything seems fresh, and the design modern. The mini bar is a plus - really great beers/wines/nibbles at a reasonable price. I love this place and will return again.

Room Tip: Ask for the western rooms - great view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My husband and I love the Blackman, and have stayed there for every special occasion since discovering it. However our last stay has left me with a bit of an awkward feeling. I stupidly left my mobile phone behind in the suite and after a complete panic rang them to check if it was there. A cold voice answered that someone had found it, and it was waiting at reception for me. After expressing my relief I realized I wouldn't have the car for a few days to get back there - the cold voice was silent for a good few beats before answering, "...No problem."
There was no offer to post it down to me and not even any reassurance that they didn't mind keeping it for me - in short, no friendliness at all.
I also wonder at what point they were going to contact me to let me know they had it? My husband's phone number and email address were on the reservation, and by the time l called them it was a good 24 hours since we'd checked out.
Perhaps there are different staff there since our first few stays - when nothing was ever too much trouble, and they were genuine and happy to help. They even gave my husband a handwritten card and bottle of champagne when we stayed there for his birthday once. This stay, for my birthday, just wasn't as great. Maybe we'll have better luck next time - and I'll pack more carefully when leaving!

1 Thank MrsJDC511
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Just stayed 2 nights at the Blackman and a fantastic surprise - a lovely boutique hotel with great rooms and restaurant with a nice bit of quirkiness. 5 minute walk to Albert Park. Would definitely recommend to anyone

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
The_Blackman_Hotel, Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Thankyou Roadtonowhere68 for taking the time to write this review after your stay at The Blackman. It is fantastic to see that you enjoyed your two night stay with us and would recommend us to others. The hotel is a bit quirky as you said, we really like to be a little different to make an enjoyable experience, something out of the ordinary.
Hopefully we will see you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.
Regards
The Blackman Team.
yallingup
Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

We travelled from Perth for a very rare few days without children. We wanted our accommodation to be special and The Blackman was that and much more. The rooms are pure comfort with an amazingly comfortable bed, loads of room, art and art books galore, great bathroom with spa bath, kitchenette with fully stocked full-size fridge, T2 tea and balcony (we had 2).
Downstairs you have Classico Italian (exceptional service, fabulous food) and Depot de Pain for breakfast/brunch, pastries to die for and great coffee.
A MUST stay.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
The_Blackman_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at the Blackman.

It certainly sounds like you had a wonderful stay, of which I am very pleased to read. Our staff love to hear these comments, and I will let them know of your kind words at our next staff meeting.

We look forward to seeing you stay with us again, on your next visit to Melbourne.

Warm regards, Julie Dale
Sydney
Reviewed 15 May 2012

From the moment we stepped into the lobby of The Blackman, we knew we were in for a fantastic stay. The staff at the front desk were so friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. In fact, when we arrived very early in the morning (about 8am), our room was already ready, and when we were checking out, we were even given the option of a late checkout. The (very patient) staff even took the time to explain to us how to use the tram, and even made sure that we had enough coins. We were very impressed with our room - the bed was very comfortable, and we slept very well. We would highly recommend this hotel to people traveling to Melbourne!

1 Thank SydneyChocolateGirl
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review from your stay with us at the Blackman.

I was very pleased to read you had a wonderful time with us, from beginning to end. I will certainly tell our staff of your comments at our next meeting.

We do hope you will choose to stay with us again when next in Melbourne.

Warm regards,
Julie Dale
Auckland
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Stayed overnight for on business, Good size rooms with a kitchenette and dining table which comfortably sit 4 people. Bed was very comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Also has a complimentary shuttle service in the morning into the central city - booking required.

Room Tip: Stayed in room on facing the street but still nice and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your fabulous time with us at the Blackman.
If you do travel regularly to Melbourne for business, please let us know and we can look into setting up rates for you.

Management and Staff love to hear these wonderful reviews, I will certainly let them know of your kind words, at our next staff meeting.

We hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards,
Julie Dale
Thailand
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Fabulous in every way, location with easy access to trams, buses and can walk to local parks. Staff very helpful. Room excellent

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business