“Really enjoyable!”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #13 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I had an enjoyable two nights at The Blackman. The room was really comfortable and spacious; it was spotlessly clean; the bed was good (but a bit soft); and the place just has a nice feel about it. Like another reviewer here, the staff were variable but even the less than friendly ones were efficient (other than at breakfast - see below). I particularly loved the Smart Car hire on the hour - very handy, and much cheaper than a taxi. The bistro/restaurant is worthy of a mention: the fresh fish meals I had were both delicious and, of course, the location is one of the nicest areas in Melbourne.

It was a bit overwhelming with a conference or workshop on both days, with attendees swarming all over the breakfast rooms at the same time and taking up the lifts. In fact, the breakfast was one of the big drawbacks. I made the mistake of going to the small coffee shop instead of the bistro: it was slow (took 20 minutes just for the order to be taken), understaffed and, after 40 minutes more waiting, I couldn't wait any longer for my bread and jam and had to leave.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main thoroughfare or lift. Sounds obvious, but if there's a big con...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 2,093
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel with some constructive feedback from your recent stay with us at the Blackman. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel, but am disappointed to hear that you found only some of the staff friendly and the lengthy delay in the bakehouse for your breakfast, due to a large volume of guests. We do take these comments seriously, and they will be passed on to management for further discussion. It is a wonderful hotel in a fantastic spot. I agree with you, Classico, our Italian Restaurant has a lovely menu with lots of variety. I will pass on your favourable comments to them. The Chef will be pleased.
We do hope you choose to stay with us again when you are next in Melbourne.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

I head to Melbourne a fair bit for my partners work, or for play, and though it was last year that I stayed, I realised that I forgot to review! The hotel is beautiful and spotless, full of quirky artwork and fab colours. The staff were friendly and helpful and always smiling.
I would say the only thing that ws a tiny bit of a shame was that for some reason, our air conditioning wouldn't work and after calling the front desk and being told they would re-set it from down there, it took another hour and a half to fix, (Two maintenance men were eventually sent up and it turns out it really WASN'T working until they did whatever they needed to do), it was just a little bit of a pain to have two guys in my room climbing up and down a ladder, while I was trying to get ready for my partners work function... Don't get me wrong, they were friendly but I ended up running late because the last thing I wanted to do was walk around the room in a towel! That aside, I can't fault the room and I reccomend it to all of my friends and am trying to convince the HR department at my partners workplace to use this as their hotel of choice!
We're heading down to Melbourne this coming weekend and ofcourse are staying at The Blackman so will post another awesome (I'm sure) review and photos!

Room Tip: Room service food is lovely and not too expensive :-)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Rene79sydney
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this fabulous review on the hotel from your recent stay.
It is certainly a fun and quirky hotel filled with wonderful artwork. We are extremely proud to have a hotel named after the famous australian artist, Charles Blackman.
My apologies for the airconditioning issue you experienced and having the maintenance men in the room whilst you were trying to get ready to go out to a function. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, it will be discussed further at our next staff meeting.
The hotel does offer Corporate rates for Corporate Companies and Corporate Travel. Please contact our Sales Department who can make these arrangements.
We look forward to welcoming you back again on the weekend for another lovely stay.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Booked in for one night, had an amazing time at the hotel, the front service guys were helpful and polite.

The beds are something I like to tell everyone about! They are so darn comfy, pillows and all, had the best sleep at a hotel I have ever had!

The room and whole hotel were so fantastic, on arrival we were upgraded to the Deluxe suite, plenty of room for 2. After spending an hour in the hotel, we were so happy with the place, we instantly booked another night, and were allowed to stay in the same room again.

The place was extremely clean, everything was solid, handy kitchen and utensils if you were to cook. The room-food wasn't overpriced either. Very pretty room to look at and stay in, the art was just warm and comforting.

If you're reading this review, make no mistake and book your room now! I will definitely be back to stay next time I'm in the city!

Thanks again guys!

Room Tip: Request high up, and a good view!
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed for two nights on my first visit to Melbourne, was a treat!

Read the reviews here on trip advisor of course, before booking, and basically everything everyone had to say about it was true. The bed is the comfiest bed, staff are friendly, room is clean and well designed.

The only two things I didn't like was the location (st Kilda Rd is a bit drab and if you don't turn the light off, workers in.the building across the road can surely see you naked) also, lighting in the rooms are a bit dim. It's nice and romantic but especially as there wasn't a light above the dining table, I couldn't see my food.

Other than that, I had a wonderful stay! Looking forward to going again.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We loved the Blackman artwork throughout the hotel with a nod to Alice in Wonderland. It certainly adds to the feeling of being somewhere special and different when on holidays. We went for the smaller room and it was plenty big enough for us during our stay. the reasonable sized balcony went unused due to the freezing weather unfortunately. The full sized fridge and reasonable cooking facilities would be handy for those who like to eat in. The bed and pillows were ridiculously comfortable - I had a brilliant sleep every night. The room was well equipped with quality furnishings and was clean and comfortable. My only gripe would be that the bathroom was relatively small.
We hired out the hotel's two vintage style bikes for a day and had a great time riding to nearby Chapel street and the NGV. (Note the front baskets are easily removed for the gents if needed.) The two electric scooters for hire that are painted in the hotel theme is a nice touch - we didn't use them even though only a car licence is needed. I was a bit concerned about my partner's safety - not to mention my own lack of confidence with hook turns. However I would love to try them out next time.
Although not central to any major attractions there was easy access to St Kilda and the CBD via a tramstop within 2 minutes walk. We didn't spend much time in the immediate area but make sure that you check out the huge park directly over the other side of St Kilda road. It's worth a stroll or bike ride.
And finally, i have to mention the onsite bakery. It served up great coffee, lovely fruit salads and some of the best croissants that I've had in an age.

1  Thank Winston_BrisVegas

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us at the Blackman.
It does sound like you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, of which, I am extremely pleased to hear.
Charles Blackman's most famous for his Alice in Wonderland series, hence the theme around the hotel. The rabbits on the front desk, the mirrored rabbits all around the hotel. Truely something very different for a hotel.
The kronan bicycles are very fun and a great way to get around Melbourne. I am also a little scared of the scooters, however, they are very popular! Maybe next time when you stay with us.
I will let Depot de pain know of your comments on their Croissants. They are the sister property to French Fantasies on Toorak road, which is very well known in Melbourne.
We really hope to see you again, when you are next in Melbourne.
Warm wishes,

Reviewed 18 June 2012

One of the best hotels we have ever stayed. My 12 year old commented on why we couldn't stay at such a cool place longer than just 1 night! Our original booking had us in a junior suite with only 1 bed so we 'down graded' to a studio with 2 beds. The hotel compensated us by giving us a room on the 17th floor with the bathroom dividing the two beds, so we had privacy. Also, the room had two large LCD TVs. Our views north to the MCG were great but also saw the South Side views, in another room, to the Bay which were just stunning. Staff are young and professional, decor and artworks are just fabulous. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Go high, south side rooms have bay views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank FitzySyd

Dear Guest,
This is certainly music to my ears! Wait till the hotel General Manager reads this review.
(One of the best hotels that you have ever stayed at). We have a staff night on Tuesday, and your review will certainly be read out to all the staff. I am extremely pleased to hear this. It truely sounds like you had a wonderful stay. I must agree, the view from the rooms is amazing! Having a balcony is also a huge bonus.
We do have young staff working here at the hotel. They are fun, vibrant, but also very professional, as you have mentioned. They want to work here, and it shows.
Please come back and stay with us again when you are next in town.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

My Fiancé and i stayed three nights at The Blackman recently. We absolutely loved this hotel!! Upon arrival the staff were professional and welcoming. The lobby is a great first impression with a collage of art hanging on walls. The furniture is fun and quirky, i wanted to photograph every piece! Straight away i felt like i was in Melbourne which is exactly the experience i was hoping for. The rooms are inviting and individual and fragranced with a lovely perfume that is made signature for the hotel. We were upgraded to the Executive Balcony Suite, very spacious however we didn't make much use of the balcony. Overall we could not fault the rooms, from the design, cleanliness, comfort, even the items in the minibar were impressive! We ate at the restaurant Classico on the first evening, the food, service and prices all very good. We absolutely loved everything about The Blackman and would recommend to anyone this is the hotel to stay in Melbourne!!

2  Thank katykaty66

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fabulous review from your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear such lovely comments. It is certainly a fun and quirky hotel. It is obvious to our guests that the staff do love working here. The fragrance in the rooms and around the hotel, is based on Allure, by Chanel. It is very welcoming as you walk into the hotel lobby and also your room.
We do hope that you will come back and stay with us again when you are next in Melbourne.

I