“Good location and hotel”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #12 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Initial impression was not good as the staff welcome on arrival was low key, bordering on indifferent. However, the staff on the next shift were much nicer and more helpful and that continued for the 3 nights of our stay.
The room was a good size with 2 balconies, it's nice to be able to sit outside after a day site seeing. The kitchen point was well thought out but a fridge with a quieter motor was needed. Beds and pillows were amazingly comfortable, but the bathroom was really disappointing. It was poorly fitted with shelves/cupboard space for washbags etc, the towels were poor quality and needed replacing and there was a shower curtain around the bath which I hate. These days you expect a glass shower screen. The decor was boring cream and there was only one light in the middle of the ceiling, no mirror light, which meant shaving in shadow.
Leaving aside the issues with the bathroom, the hotel is in a great location, only a 20 minute stroll into the city centre, and close to parks and the Botanic Gardens.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Many thanks John for poviding us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. Firstly, let me apologise for the disappointing greeting that you received upon checkin. This is certainly not the norm as we place significant importance in ensuring that our guests receive the highest level of customer service so I am sorry that we did not acheive this on this occassion. Thank you for your comments regarding the layout of our rooms. I would very much enjoy havinging you back at The Blackman so please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in organising a future booking.

There are newer reviews for Art Series - The Blackman

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Really clean, great rooms. Great decor. Restaurants downstairs are both amazing. Service is only thing that could use a bit of work, about half the staff usually seemed a bit annoyed with something. Gym is a bit small (4 users feels crowded), but nice parks for running located nearby.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your Blackman experience. We are very happy to hear that you consider The Blackman to be "on of the best hotels you've stayed at'. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of customer service so I apologise that this was not portrayed during your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

This is a nice hotel and is the second of the Art Series that we have stayed in. The staff were efficient but not friendly. The standard room with balcony was large and well appointed with cooking facilities etc. We were only here for a weekend, however if we stayed again the room is such that you could self cater. There are two restaurants down in the hotel. We only tried the Deport du Pain, and it was disappointing, so we didn't go back. The hotel is quiet away out of town so you need to use the trams or cabs.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
NickGouin, General Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Thank you for offering us your feedback. We appreciate receiving it from a regular Trip Advisor contributor. I will address your comments with my team; there are some things we can continue to work on. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and if not here, we hope you try the third Art Series in the group.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I spent 5nights in late january here as a birthday present to myself it was mostly great! The suite was amazing - clean spacious modern - though lacked a few things, there was no iron or ironing board, the coffee and tea was not replenished daily neither were the toiletries I had to keep calling to get this done. The television didn't work at all for one day - may not seem like a huge deal but when the miserable melbourne weather hits and you wanna stay in bed all day to watch trashy tv it was a big downer! Mostly the staff were lovely, some of them at reception were sometimes quite cold and dismissive but all in all was a good stay and would stay again if I found a decent rate.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to offer us some very detailed feedback. It really helps to know these things because it will assist to make us even better in the future. There is no doubt that we did let you down in terms of the servicing of your suite. All items should be replenished and each room is meant to have an iron and ironing board. With regards to the TV, this was unfortunately an issue we experienced with our service provider. No question, it was not good enough, however we were not able to fix this ourselves. I do apologise that these issues put a slight dampener on what should have been a 5 out of 5 experience with us. Please keep in touch and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have stayed here twice now, I've enjoyed it that much! The first time I took my mum for Mother's Day and had a girly weekend as a surprise, it was perfect. We had a twin room - 2 queen sized beds, 2 TV's - which was spacious and the beds were separated by the bathroom. The layout would be comfortable enough to stay for a week without a problem and I love the fact it has a mini kitchen and a full size fridge. Looks like they have longer-stay price plans too.
But it's the attention to detail that I love about the Art Series hotels. I've now stayed a few times at their hotels, and now I get a little handwritten note on arrival, and sometimes a little present (calico shopping bag / a drink voucher). As a member, I can check out at 1pm (amazing), their mini-bar prices are cheaper than most restaurants and their room-service is reasonably priced.
Cannot fault this hotel, it was comfortable, chic and I love that each hotel has it's own 'vibe' and theme. I had the same experience when I stayed with a friend at the end of last year. Hands down this is my favourite in Melbourne.
The location isn't exactly 'in the middle of it', but trams will get you where you need to be fairly quick (10 mins into the CBD, 10 mins to South Yarra). I don't think the pool is in the building, I think you need to use the facilities at The Olsen in South Yarra... Apart from that, top notch.

Room Tip: Join their rewards program to get the 1pm late checkout and special member prices. If you buy 28+ da...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank love_weekenders

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We could not be happier to hear of your experiences as a regular Blackman guest. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

This is definitely a cute and comfortable hotel, fantastic beds, good parking and good location, though it's actually located on Arthur Street rather than St Kilda Road. Some staff weren't very friendly. The twin double suite with balcony was a good size, and the kitchenette was excellent. Some negatives were the tiny bathroom and work desk was quite small, but worst of all, the wifi signal was so strong we could really feel it and it affected our sleep.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us recently at The Blackman Hotel. We certainly appreciate your comments and will address the areas within our control. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed in a Junior Suite @ The Blackman over Christmas for 4 days and could not fault a thing. the rate dropped after I booked my stay so they matched the cheaper rate which was great too!

The room was immaculate and spacious, check in was a breeze, the hotel was easy to find and in a great location and a glass of wine on arrival ALWAYS makes for a great start to the stay! Late checkout wasn’t a problem and I have definitely made ArtSeries my go-to hotels when I’m in Melbourne. Looking forward to The Cullen over Australia Day!

Room Tip: You can use the pool @ The Olsen, but don't plan on using the gym. It's a bit sparse (But wh...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for offering us your fantastic feedback. It is great to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I hope you managed to try The Cullen over Australia Day. We look forward to welcoming you back to Art Series Hotels again soon.