“Highly recommend The Blackman; Comfortable, Luxurious, Unique and Memorable.”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #12 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Highly recommend The Blackman; Comfortable, Luxurious, Unique and Memorable.”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Blackman on our wedding night. The Blackman team gave us the Penthouse Suite which made our wedding night even more special. When we arrived at 2am we were greeted warmly by a very friendly staff member. He congratulated us and told us that we were able to get a late checkout so that we could enjoy the room and get the rest that we needed.
The Penthouse Suite was spectacular and is standout from all the other places I have stayed at in Melbourne. It was furnished with artwork, a fantastic bottle of white wine, beautiful furniture, comfortable bedding and amenities. We were amazed by the level of comfort, attentive service, and the spectacular views of Melbourne. My wife slept in till noon Sunday while I woke up earlier to enjoy a coffee and to soak in the tranquil views of Melbourne from the suite’s balcony. The location was fantastic, close to the CBD but far enough so that you don’t get the noise. We walked into the city the next day and enjoyed the Sunday morning street market on St Kilda Rd. The stay at The Blackman was truly memorable and it was a great way to end our amazing wedding day and start our honeymoon.
I recommend The Blackman to all my friends and family. If you are looking for something comfortable, luxurious, unique, and memorable than the Blackman is a fantastic choice and is on top of my list of places to stay in Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here with my husband and 2 young children in the Chess Suite. The Chess Suite was tastefully decorated with gorgeous artwork and it was very spacious for us all. The bed was so comfortable and I fell asleep in an instant! The staff made us feel very comfortable and at home and the hotel is well positioned and close to gorgeous Albert Park lake. The food at both dining venues was absolutely delicious and I would highly recommend this property to all travellers. I have stayed in several 4 and 5 star properties around the world and this hotel is definitely up there in the unique category. If you can afford to splurge on the suites, it is a definite must do! The hotel also uses Rejuvenators to do in room massages and the massages were amazing! What an incredible experience overall!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank farhana79
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Great looking hotel in a fantastic spot for visitors to Mlbourne. This hotel would be a particularly sound choice for those interested in the Formula 1 GP.

Loved the modern rooms, and the views from the higher floors are great. Comfy beds, well equiped kitchenette and plenty of space. This hotel has an undeniably 'cool' factor which young and old alike should appreciate.

Let down a little by the average service. Front desk often grumpy and looked put out when you asked questions.

Ordered room service one night and the food was horrendous. Melbourne is one of the culinary capitals of the world yet the in-house food was almost unedible (overcooked pasta in a watery sauce that was like a school camp dinner... not nice).

Added to which, the dirty plates sat outside the room in the hallway for almost 24 hours! An unfortunate reminder of the meal everytime we returned to the room.

Special mention to Aaron the waiter at the cafe downstairs - personable and efficient, one of the highlights of the stay.

Room Tip: Go high with a view of albert park lake
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lencorp
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My partner and I stayed here again recently, and were still just as amazed with the level of comfort and service as the first time.

The first thing that continuously blows us away is the level of service we encounter from their staff. Having arrived fairly late in the evening, we were greeted by a friendly gentleman who was so warm and welcoming that it feels more as if you're visiting a friend's house than staying in another sterile hotel chain. It seems no request or question is trivial, with the man at reception even helping us find street parking in order to avoid the on-site parking charge. Overall, checking-in and out is always a breeze with the Art Series group.

Though the room was smaller than last time, as we booked the Studio Suite with Balcony, it was just as comfortable and luxurious as the Deluxe Studio Suite. Our room was also situated on the corner of a higher floor, so the views of Albert Park and the bay were a lovely touch. The amenities in the room are practical and of the highest standard, whilst the delivered breakfast from the French cafe downstairs was delicious. Most importantly though, the bed was still just as comfortable as ever.

The Blackman certainly is my go-to hotel in Melbourne. If you're looking for something comfortable, luxurious, with consistently excellent service, and something that is just a touch 'different' - this is the one for you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaseyElizabeth
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
I could not be happier to hear that The Blackman is still your favourite place to stay in Melbourne. Your kind words are very much appreciated and I have passed them on to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2014

As my booking overnight at the Blackman was dictated by my company's preferences and also proximity to the office (A five minute stroll from 1 Queens Road) my expectations were not extremely high.
As I checked in, the thoroughly professional staff made me feel welcome as did the modern and luxurious decor. Initially I was concerned that my room was right by the lifts, but I need not have worried.
On entering the room I thought that perhaps I had been booked in tot he wrong room, but no, a 1 bedroom Queen was what I had selected. What I was not expecting was the spacious living/dining area with built in kitchenette with double hob, microwave (With grill option), fridge, pantry, dining table for 4, comfy lounge and a good work desk area.
The bed was especially comfortable and with the curtains closed the room was nice and dark (And quiet).

Trams to the CBD or to St Kilda are at the end of the road, which also makes Fawkner and Albert Parks only a short stroll away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with your wonderful feedback following your stay with us. I could not be happier to hear that your stay at The Blackman exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman again.

Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed 4 nights over a weekend in a delux room. Can honesty say that this is the best hotel experience we have had for many years. The "themed" nature of the hotel and inclusion of a selection of books in the room made the experience more delightful. Added to this, the French café and restaurant downstairs made eating a great experience.

Very accessible via the tram network and we walked the distance to the cafes at St Kilda for a special Saturday night meal.

(My wife wants me to book this place for our 10th wedding anniversary!)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your wonderful feedback following your stay at The Blackman. It was lovely to hear that you consider us to be "the best hotel experience that you have had in many years". Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist in organising a future booking for your 10th wedding anniversary.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed recently for four nights over a weekend. We usually stay at a preferred hotel on Southbank but decided to move out of our comfort zone and stay at the Blackman. Contemporary would be the word I would use to describe the hotel. The room and lounge we booked was very nicely appointed and the only downside was the very poor lighting. This was exacerbated by the dull weather. Thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast restaurant and no doubt the pizza restaurant must be as good as it was always very busy. A downside for us is we did miss there not being a quiet house bar type area where you could relax with a glass of wine after a long day travelling or working. There could be more information available in the room advising transport, restaurant etc options as the hotel is a good 30 minute walk to town. I know you can ask at the front desk but the staff were not always that forthcoming. We had a noise issue with a party going on underneath us one night and the front desk responded immediately and shut it down which was good. Overall the hotel met our expectations but would prefer to stay nearer to the City in future with more dining and entertainment options close by.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. As we pride ourselves on the exceptional delivery of customer service I am saddened to hear that we did not achieve this during your stay. If I can be of any assistance in organising a future booking so you can have "The Blackman Experience", then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.