“This chain doesn't disappoint”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #16 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Having stayed at the Olsen in the past, I decided to stay at the Blackman this time around while in Melbourne for a business trip. I arrived quite late on the Sunday night after a brutal international flight to find that the hotel's computer system was down. Despite the issue, the staff were friendly and efficient and after seeing how tired we were, checked us into the room manually.

The rooms are modern and comfortable. Our room had two rooms, both with queen sized beds and huge TVs. The room service was quick and tasty and hit the spot after a long trip. The in-room breakfast was great too, although a little on the pricy side for what you got.

The location is great if you have business on St Kilda Rd, but is a short taxi or tram trip to the centre of town.

The Art Series hotels are a breath of fresh air in the Melbourne hotel scene. Thumbs up!

Room Tip: Some of the St Kilda Rd facing rooms cab be a little noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Nathan C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Dear Jason H,

Thanks for your review of the hotel, I am glad we were able to work around technology and get you into your room swiftly. I will pass on your comments in regards to breakfast onto our venue manager of the restaurant. It’s great to hear you like The Art Series Group, be sure to check out The Cullen in Prahan or The Larwill in Parkville next time you drop in for business or pleasure!

Senior Guest Experience Agent

Write a ReviewReviews (2,288)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We were in Melbourne for a friend's birthday and we looked forward to staying at this quirky modern hotel which is apart of the art series. These are the reasons we booked at the Blackman.

They asked me for any requests at time of reservation so I asked for a bottle of champagne in our room or something similar. Unfortunately this could only be provided to our room at a charge. if we left it untouched we would still be charged.

We paid extra for an upgrade which gave us a dissapointing bay view. Our balcony actually faced a glass highrise building. I called front desk but they had no other rooms availble with a better view. A friend of ours wanted to stay last minute and could see online there was available bookings for $199 per night, but when they went to the front desk they were told that a one night stay was actually $600!

The room was small, I expected more with an extra $70 per night upgrade.There was a sheer hospital style curtain which ran on rails. This went around the bed to create a division but with the room already feeling clostrophobic it wasn't ideal.

We stayed for two nights and on the morning that we were checking out I ran a bath. The bathroom set up is a shower over the bathtub which also has jets inbuilt for a "spa" experience.
So, I got in and turned on the jets. TO MY HORROR! Black muck and clumps of somebody elses' hair came out of the jets and into the water I was sitting in!!

As you can imagine, it was a revolting experience so I got out immediately to dry myself only to retrieve a worn out towel from the rack. You have got to be kidding me!

On check out and the staff member asked "How was your stay?"
I mentioned what had happened in the bath.
He replied with "did you let sombody know straight away?"
I said "Yes, I'm letting you know now...."
Although apologetic he didn't offer any discount, still charged us for the $4 orange juice from mini bar and simply said "I hope we can make it up to you the next time you stay".

I left thinking. Why would you assume we will stay ever again?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank virtualmello
Lauren H, Rooms Division Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review following your stay at The Blackman. I was very sorry to hear of your experience and would very much like to discuss this further. I look forward to hearing from you.

lauren _hodder@artserieshotels.com.au
03 9039 1444

Lauren Hodder
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We usually stay at sister hotel The Cullen, in Prahran but decided to give The Blackman a go, it was rated number 7 on Tripadvisor. I love the quirky style of The Art Series hotels....I'm happy we tried The Blackman it was fantastic, amazing, brilliant, superb!!! The room was huge, two queen beds, two balconies looking towards the MCG and park, nice bathroom, lots of cupboard space, large kitchenette, I could go on and on and on. My young daughter was taken with the dice left on our beds, she spent a good hour playing with them....again the quirky side of these hotels....I just loved our stay and will be back again soon!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ashjay40

Ashjay40,

Thank you for coming and checking out what The Blackman has to offer. It sounds like the Deluxe Twin Studio you stayed in was just what you were looking for! Feel free to come back any time, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Very different from most hotels. There is art on every wall, the staff are pleasant and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious. The rooms have a kitchenette and a dining table. My room had a balcony with a small table and chairs. The French bakery downstairs (serves breakfast, lunch and dinner) is a popular stop bike riders to get a coffee on their way to work. Overall a nice place to stay at a reasonable price and location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jeff_Ainge,

Thank you for providing such wonderful feedback. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your time here at The Blackman. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel was just beautiful, the room was absolutely gorgeous and the staff that my sister and I dealt with were extremely polite, helpful and I thought they went above and beyond to get us Ono our room earlier as we were so tired, thank you do much for making our stay relaxing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Twin beds are huge and comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Nathan C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2014

Hi Kris A,

It is always great to read reviews about the staff here at The Blackman. I will be passing these messages on to the team.

We hope to see you back here in the not so distant future!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The room was well appointed, and we had an entire wall of glass to catch the view looking out away from the city. The room had a small kitchen-type area with cooking facilities should they have been needed. The balcony with table and chairs would have been very nice for a cup of coffee on a warmer trip! Breakfast in the adjoining cafe was reasonably priced and of good quality.

The hotel is slightly out of the city centre, but was within an easy 20 minute walk. It's also located 2 minutes from the nearest tram stop, and the trams run up and down to the city regularly, taking about 5-10 minutes.

It's always a disappointment to be charged for both wi-fi and bottled water in the room in a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear HorseJGoon,

I was pleased to read your review on the hotel facilities. Our rooms here at The Blackman all come with a balcony for you to enjoy the summer weather to its full potential. In regards to our wifi and bottled water, this is a work in progress and hopefully by the next visit these will be included. We also have a partnership system with Priority Guest Rewards which offers guests 10% off rates, 50% of in room internet, 20% off meals and complimentary bottled water daily, sign up is free when making a reservation on our website.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed at the Blackman for 3 nights whilst visiting Melbourne and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The hotel is located on St Kilda Rd about a 20 minute walk (or 5 minute tram ride) from Flinders Station.

I stayed in one of the Studio Suite Balcony rooms with a view over St Kilda Rd. The room was quite spacious and the available space is used well creating a feeling of roominess. Everything was clean and well presented and the bed was very comfortable.

The Hotel clearly has excellent sound proofing as there was minimal noise from other rooms or from the street below.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant in the majority of circumstances and seemed genuinely interested in talking with guests and assisting with their inquiries.

The Hotel has a well appointed mid sized gym (if thats important to you - it is to me) that was clean and well kept with new equipment.

It is a short walk to the Victorian War Memorial, Myer music bowl and Government House and on a fine day is a very enjoyable walk to the City centre.

In all I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Considered,

Firstly, Thank you for such a great review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your time spent here at The Blackman and was pleased to hear that you were treated well by our staff. We look forward to having you back here in the not so distant future!

Senior Guest Experience Agent

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Parkville
Chapel Street
Art Series - The Olsen
Art Series - The Olsen
#31 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!