“Arty and different”

Ranked #12 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
sydney
“Arty and different”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This was our first stay at an art series hotel. We booked a month in advance and our Saturday night stay worked out at very good value. Our room had two queen size beds, two balconies, kitchenette and shower over the bath. Beds were very comfortable. Considering we were there on a cheap rate I was surprised that our room was on the 16th floor and had nice views.We enjoyed looking at the art all over the hotel and bought the canvas with paints from the mini bar. Downstairs is a French bakery which reminded us of Paris. There were 12 varieties of eclairs. We only stayed the one night and didn't go into the city so the location didn't bother us. We were even given late check out until 1 on Sunday- made our morning very relaxing. We would stay again

Room Tip: the higher the better for views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jaynic
Nathan C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, 22 September 2014
Hi Jaynic

It sounds like you took advantage of our 28 day prepaid saver, which is a great way to book if you have no plan to cancel! We are glad to read that your Deluxe Twin Suite was well appointed, our signature Art Series beds and linen are even for sale, they’re that popular! Thanks again for the great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Senior Guest Experience Agent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Greek first
Chengdu, China
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I enjoy staying at The Blackman so much that I think I may need to move in!!
It's said that "once you go black you can't go back" - it's an apt expression for this fabulous hotel.

Every Suite is sweet! The staff are superb. The location is perfect - very centrally, but not smack-bang in the middle of the city, convenient to all Melbourne's cool places. And a hotel with balconies? well they're few and far between these days... a vino on the balcony, nice, very nice and the house wines are good too. Room service is excellent, mini-bar prices are the best I've encountered and you needn't go out to hunt and gather.

The perfect spot for a romantic weekend or to catch up on tasks between meetings.
Go, see, absorb, enjoy :)

Room Tip: I've stayed twice now, and booked for a third visit... go to the site and check out pics, they...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Fxponential,

We love your expression, how fitting. Thank you for a great review, we love having you here! It sounds like moving in could be an option, did you know that we offer great long stay rates? We can’t wait to have you back here at the Blackman Hotel. See you soon!
Regards,

Nathan Culevski/Rachel
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Fantastic Hotel. Rooms are stylish and I feel at home when I am away for work. Love the detail, quality of products provided. I am on my 3rd stay within a month and every visit has been consistent. Last time I stayed I was left a hand written note welcoming me back with some very yummy cake. I love the detail and just how they go over and above to make you feel welcomed. Well Done!

Hi Sharon M,

The team here at The Blackman were so pleased to read your review in regards to your last few visits. Thanks again for your continued support, we appreciate it, and thank you for such a lovely review. We look forward to seeing you back at The Blackman very shortly!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Having stayed at the Olsen in the past, I decided to stay at the Blackman this time around while in Melbourne for a business trip. I arrived quite late on the Sunday night after a brutal international flight to find that the hotel's computer system was down. Despite the issue, the staff were friendly and efficient and after seeing how tired we were, checked us into the room manually.

The rooms are modern and comfortable. Our room had two rooms, both with queen sized beds and huge TVs. The room service was quick and tasty and hit the spot after a long trip. The in-room breakfast was great too, although a little on the pricy side for what you got.

The location is great if you have business on St Kilda Rd, but is a short taxi or tram trip to the centre of town.

The Art Series hotels are a breath of fresh air in the Melbourne hotel scene. Thumbs up!

Room Tip: Some of the St Kilda Rd facing rooms cab be a little noisy.
Dear Jason H,

Thanks for your review of the hotel, I am glad we were able to work around technology and get you into your room swiftly. I will pass on your comments in regards to breakfast onto our venue manager of the restaurant. It’s great to hear you like The Art Series Group, be sure to check out The Cullen in Prahan or The Larwill in Parkville next time you drop in for business or pleasure!

Sydney
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We were in Melbourne for a friend's birthday and we looked forward to staying at this quirky modern hotel which is apart of the art series. These are the reasons we booked at the Blackman.

They asked me for any requests at time of reservation so I asked for a bottle of champagne in our room or something similar. Unfortunately this could only be provided to our room at a charge. if we left it untouched we would still be charged.

We paid extra for an upgrade which gave us a dissapointing bay view. Our balcony actually faced a glass highrise building. I called front desk but they had no other rooms availble with a better view. A friend of ours wanted to stay last minute and could see online there was available bookings for $199 per night, but when they went to the front desk they were told that a one night stay was actually $600!

The room was small, I expected more with an extra $70 per night upgrade.There was a sheer hospital style curtain which ran on rails. This went around the bed to create a division but with the room already feeling clostrophobic it wasn't ideal.

We stayed for two nights and on the morning that we were checking out I ran a bath. The bathroom set up is a shower over the bathtub which also has jets inbuilt for a "spa" experience.
So, I got in and turned on the jets. TO MY HORROR! Black muck and clumps of somebody elses' hair came out of the jets and into the water I was sitting in!!

As you can imagine, it was a revolting experience so I got out immediately to dry myself only to retrieve a worn out towel from the rack. You have got to be kidding me!

On check out and the staff member asked "How was your stay?"
I mentioned what had happened in the bath.
He replied with "did you let sombody know straight away?"
I said "Yes, I'm letting you know now...."
Although apologetic he didn't offer any discount, still charged us for the $4 orange juice from mini bar and simply said "I hope we can make it up to you the next time you stay".

I left thinking. Why would you assume we will stay ever again?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank virtualmello
Lauren H, Rooms Division Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, 21 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review following your stay at The Blackman. I was very sorry to hear of your experience and would very much like to discuss this further. I look forward to hearing from you.

lauren _hodder@artserieshotels.com.au
03 9039 1444

Lauren Hodder
Rooms Division Manager
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We usually stay at sister hotel The Cullen, in Prahran but decided to give The Blackman a go, it was rated number 7 on Tripadvisor. I love the quirky style of The Art Series hotels....I'm happy we tried The Blackman it was fantastic, amazing, brilliant, superb!!! The room was huge, two queen beds, two balconies looking towards the MCG and park, nice bathroom, lots of cupboard space, large kitchenette, I could go on and on and on. My young daughter was taken with the dice left on our beds, she spent a good hour playing with them....again the quirky side of these hotels....I just loved our stay and will be back again soon!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashjay40
Ashjay40,

Thank you for coming and checking out what The Blackman has to offer. It sounds like the Deluxe Twin Studio you stayed in was just what you were looking for! Feel free to come back any time, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Very different from most hotels. There is art on every wall, the staff are pleasant and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious. The rooms have a kitchenette and a dining table. My room had a balcony with a small table and chairs. The French bakery downstairs (serves breakfast, lunch and dinner) is a popular stop bike riders to get a coffee on their way to work. Overall a nice place to stay at a reasonable price and location.

Dear Jeff_Ainge,

Thank you for providing such wonderful feedback. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your time here at The Blackman. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team.