“Good hotel, with a few problems.”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #13 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Good hotel, with a few problems.”
Reviewed 25 December 2010

The hotel service was great and the bed was extremely comfortable. However, some of the frills of an expensive hotel were missing. The lighting in the room was poor with two lights broken, there was no 'do not disturb' sign, there was a minor amount of rubbish remaining in the room and there was nowhere to put your luggage. The $8 bottle of water next to the bed gave you a feeling of the hotel being money hungry. My biggest problem with the hotel was that the rooms were loud, both from the constant whirring of the fridge and the massive air conditioning unit on the building next door. I was also woken at night by a kitchen appliance beeping. Although I knew it in advance, I was also dissapointed by the lack of swimming pool.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Ben_Ezard, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, 17 January 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It makes me very happy to know that the service from our staff was a highlight of your stay. I am disappointed to hear of the problems you had with your room, be assured your comments will be passed on at our next staff meeting. We do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel so that we can show just how wonderful the Blackman is.
Kind Regards, Ben Ezard
Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Greek first
Strathalbyn
Reviewed 21 December 2010

If you like modern art, the Art Series hotels are a must. Modern themes, prints and originals adorn the hotels and rooms. Rooms are fairly roomy, with kitchen facilities. Big, big beds with the best mattresses and lots of fluffy pillows...sleeping was a dream! Front desk staff were terrific - nothing was a bother for them. There is a yummy French bakery and an Italian restaurant on the ground floor - both open all day. Offerings from both were on the upper end of good. We appreciated the off street parking for minimal cost. Located close to St Kilda Road tram stops, a stones throw from the city. A very, very pleasant surprise! Excellent all round.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. It brings us great pleasure when we hear that our staff were helpful with your every need, we will be sure to pass on this feedback at our next team meeting. Our beds are also one of our most popular features and if you are interested in purchasing any items please feel free to get in contact with us for any further details. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman very soon.
Kind Regards, Ben Ezard
Guest Experience Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Staff could not do enough for us on both occasions.
Great location for walks around Albert Park, easy tram to city and complimentary 8am shuttle to Flinders Street. (Bikes also available) Restaurant adequate, coffee shop friendly and light meals tasty. Preferred room type definitely Deluxe with balcony. Parking on site - what more could one want.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Ben_Ezard, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
Thank you for the taking the time to write such a fantastic review on your recent stay at The Blackman. It is always wonderful to hear that our staff enhanced your experience while you were here. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Reviewed 14 December 2010

As I expressed on checkout to the desk staff, I was very disappointed with my stay here...upgraded to a "Junior Suite"...but ended up being a plain room with a separate small cramped bedroom with no air circulation...very stuffy during the humid night and a smoke alarm above the bed shone a bright green light all night!!

Due to an early checkout and a 4 hour drive the next day to photograph a wedding, I requested a quiet room...was put on the 5th floor (one of the lower floors) facing a high black glassed office building due south and overlooking St Kilda Rd- a busy main rd into the city with Fri night traffic and noisy trams till after midnight ...which started up again at around 5am!!!!!

The room wasn't cleaned when I checked in- as there were bits of tissue,lolly papers fluff and plastic lying around on the carpet, and when I put on the towelling bath robe after my shower I got bites on my legs...from dust mites?? agghh!!!

It was the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in a Hotel. When I arrived the toilet seat and lid was left up as tho someone had used it, no new toilet paper and the shower was very cramped and I am only 165cm !!
Had to call Housekeeping for tea bags as the supply had not been restocked... Overpriced room service with the cheese platter ... Why was I not surprised??!!

I am from Melbourne and have a business in Flinders Lane however I will not be recommending this Hotel to any of my Clients or Friends!! Certainly not the place advertised on their website when I booked direct...and yes is this the same Hotel that others reviewed so glowingly...if you like to name drop and love "prints" not Charles Blackman's paintings then this place is for you!!!!

Yes their complimentry "upgrade" to a Junior Balcony Suite was just that ...tailored to a "Junior " what ever that means!!!!! Maybe booking as a solo traveller means you don't get the service you would if you book as a couple....Service and cleanliness was definitely lacking!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank ducogirl
Ballarat
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I stayed at the Blackman last weekend -10th and 11th Dec 2010 - I bring myself to Melbourne 3 times a year to take a break from country life, leave my hubby and kids at home, and enjoy some "me" time in the city! I have stayed at many hotels in Melbourne, but I have found my new favourite. The Blackman surpassed all my expectations. I... have never slept in a more comfortable bed before in my life, and the pillows were like resting your head on a cloud! The decor in the suite was classy, comfortable and practical, and I loved the attention to detail. Oh so clean and bright, there was nothing I could think of that I needed that was not already provided. I need to mention the staff - every staff member, without exception, greeted me with a smile, and a "how are you today"....I was blown away that they all appeared to be enjoying being at work!!! I felt welcome and like I belonged there, from arrival to departure. I have just booked my next visit to the Blackman for March 2011.....and I'm going to bring my husband this time. I only left there yesterday, but can't wait to go back. Well done Art Series Hotels, very impressed indeed.
Sarah Warke

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Dear Sarah, Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of The Blackman. It makes us very proud when you mention that every staff member provided great service as it is something we take great pride in. We will be sure to pass on your fantastic feedback at our next staff meeting. I am glad to hear that you have already booked your next stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back in March 2011.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Good sized room, with balcony, dining area and kitchen facilities. Fantastically comfortable bed! Clean modern bathroom, but agree more counter space on the vanity would be welcome. Also a rack or line for drying smalls would be handy. And yes, the lighting is not good enough for reading. With the dimmer switches available, higher wattage bulbs need to used. Lovely helpful and friendly staff. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review on your stay at The Blackman. I am glad to hear that you made use of our fantastic kitchen facilities and loved our beds. I would also like to thank you for the constuctive feedback regarding the bathrooms, you can be assured that your comments will be passed on during our next team meeting.
Kind regards, Ben Ezard Guest Experience Manager
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Stayed for 2 nights, absolutely love the layout of the hotel and the room. Felt like we were staying in an art gallery with kitchen facilities! :)

Location is fab, as it's along St kilda strip, opposite the garden which I can't remember the name. But I had to keep the windows closed as they face other buildings. Not sure if other room is the same, still not big fuss for me.

We rented the car for whole day, which was handy and convenient, but we couldn't get our hands (and head) around the smart car, engine turned off automatically, suspension was bad... Still it brought us around

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank shiny_ainie
Thanks to the author of this review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Blackman and loved the art in the rooms. It is wonderful that you were able to take one of our Smart Cars out for a day, they have been a popular addition to our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.