“Love at first Sight!”

Ranked #27 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Bendigo, Australia
“Love at first Sight!”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I doubt words will do justice to this exquisite hotel but I will try my best! It's rare to find an hotel that ticks every box and goes well beyond expectations leaving the guest with a warm glow that lingers. We were not just comfortable but pampered from the moment we checked in. Effortless check in by the lovely Kate whose genuine warmth and friendliness made us so instantly comfortable that I actually forgot she was a complete stranger! In the short time it took to park our car and locate our room Kate had written us a note on a beautiful card and left some chilled champers in our room. We were blown away with the thoughtfulness of this gesture in response to something I had said without thinking. The room was beautiful we had been upgraded by the very friendly and charming Nick as our room had a problem so we certainly felt very nurtured from the instant we arrived. The rooms are lovely with great views, interesting and delightful furnishing and a wonderful array of art books which were the absolute icing on the cake in decor! All the features of the room were perfection but it's the art in this hotel that tells the real story and makes you feel like your stay is so much more than just another hotel experience, so much more. I could write poetry about the comfort of the bed and if for no other reason than this you choose this hotel you will not be disappointed. I don't think we will ever want to stay anywhere else again for the bed alone was heavenly comfort beyond belief but the service completely seals the deal on hotel choice. We had a lovely evening walk did I mention the location is perfect too. We ate at the Bluebottle on the ground floor and the food was delicious perfection and service again friendly and faultless. We had breakfast there too and I failed to get the name of the lovely young woman that served us but she started our day with an easy laugh and yet again that lingering warmth continued. The breakfast was good, better than many 5 star hotels in fact so I highly recommend not bothering to walk down the road! Check out was swift and they very kindly offered us a later check out if needed. Yet another lovely woman at check out I'm sorry I didn't get her name and she so sweetly gave us some canvases and paints for our children. Oh the little touches are the things that always make a stay in a good hotel a memorable and pampered experience. The people running this hotel certainly make it what it is, a friendly welcoming and luxurious time away from home just what everyone is looking for be it business or pleasure. We have stayed at many 5 star hotels over the last 20 yrs but in all that time only two have left a lasting impression and this mainly due to the outstanding expertise and warmth of the staff. The Olsen is one of them and perhaps the very best at that. I don't think the staff here are just well trained, I think they've been picked because they are genuinely lovely people with a real flair for hospitality. I cannot fault this wonderful hotel and look forward to staying again and again.

Room Tip: We had a suite it was beautiful! We didn't use the pool but we wish we had! We'll be back th...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
What more needs to be said. This is what we aim for with each and every guest that stays with us at The Olsen Hotel. A hotel is not just a place to sleep, but an experience. Thank you for such a great review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My partner and I stayed at The Olsen in South Yarra last month and we would recommend this hotel to people who like comfort, appreciate good service and want to stay somewhere that does little unexpected things that make a difference.

This is a place that does the little things very well. The staff are lovely, the service is a cut about the rest and the rooms are wonderful.

The Olsen also surprised us with a glass of champagne coming into the foyer on a Friday evening, offering to carry bags after being out shopping and organising a wonderful car to the airport.

This hotel is definitely a must stay...be sure to have a swim in their great pool and you will love the toilet seats!

Room Tip: Beautiful floor to ceiling windows and super comfy beds and pillows.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at The Olsen Hotel. Our aim is to create a unique experience for all of our guests and it pleases us that you received that level of service. The champagne in the lobby is something that we like to do on a Friday and Saturday evening. It is a small touch that we feel helps our guests to relax and enjoy their weekend. It is also nice to celebrate the great bargains you may have picked up whilst shopping along Chapel Street.

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Blueys Beach, Australia
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We enjoyed our stay at The Olsen and would recommend this hotel although there were some negatives. Firstly, I booked the hotel some weeks ahead on their own website and requested a bath tub which is a priority for us. The day before we were due to arrive we received a call to let us know that the room we booked did not have a tub and would we like to upgrade for $20 per night. We agreed, it was too late to do otherwise. When we arrived I commented that their website is unclear as to whether the rooms have tubs. I was told that they do not advertise tubs because very few rooms have them and "everyone wants them"! This left us with the impression that rooms with tubs are offered the day before as an upgrade if they are have not been booked. I would say to The Olsen, please tell me at the time of booking so that I can make a decision if I'd prefer to book an alternative hotel that offers a bath tub. When we walked into our room my first impression was that the kitchenette cupboards had not been cleaned, there were greasy fingermarks and even food on the doors. This was easily remedied (by me) with a quick wipe with a damp kitchen cloth. Having pointed out the negatives I must say the room was spacious with ultra modern furnishings, an extremely comfortable bed and pillows and a comfortable sofa. As our stay included week nights we had to keep our curtains closed as we could clearly see the people in the office block across the road so there was no privacy. The hotel supplies a selection of quality T2 teas (my favourite) but when replenished the maid service didn't replace the Earl Grey until I left a note. They also assumed we had used the water from the bedside table which I put in the fridge as all this marketing stuff they leave around takes up much needed space. This was added to our bill but naturally removed at our request. We had dinner at Bluebottle restaurant on our first night which was excellent. We spent a month in Italy this year and my pasta dish was as good as any I had there. The next night we ventured out to a TA recommended Italian restaurant which was extremely disappointing so opted to go back to the hotel's Bluebottle restaurant on our last night. Once again the food was superb. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful but I think this hotel may need to offer a little extra training to their maid staff which seems to be taking some polish off their otherwise high standard.

Room Tip: Request a room which is not opposite an office block during the week.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Stayed here in a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 Adults & 2 Children. I had previously stayed hereon my own, so on our next family trip, instead of staying at Southbank or CBD I booked here. My husband was dubious a when he looked it up it wasn't in ' the centre '. But that all changed when w got there. Rooms were gorgeous and beautifully maintained, it's on Chapel Street so you're not short on places to dine or shop & they gives the kids a canvas & paints to create their own masterpiece. Room service was ordinary - bug that's a minor thing in my opinion. There's a supermarket across the road if you want to get your own supplies. Also, like all of Melbourne valet parking is ridiculously expensive, so choose the self parking option.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review. We obviously agree that our hotel is in a great location. Chapel Street offers many dining, shopping and tourist attractions, whilst being only 5-10 minutes from the CBD. This allows our guests to find the hotel easily and be able to move freely without the hustle and bustle of the city.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding our room service. The Olsen Hotel management have recently taken over the management rights of the restaurant. We are in the process of refining our menus, so that we can offer a consistent and quality product all of the time.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. I hope that your kids enjoyed the art kit; hopefully they will be the next Dr. John Olsen.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This is a very modern, sleek arty hotel with modern decor. Our bed was up against a painted glass wall. The other side of the glass was the bathroom. Not much of a noise buffer for someone using the bathroom but it looked good when the bathroom light was on which lit up the bed. There was also a stove, sink and mini fridge in our room, with cutlery, plates and a saucepan. The room was average sized and clean. The location was perfect - steps to Chapel St and all the shops, restaurants and cafes. The only problem we had was we paid for WiFi for a day but because we both had electronic devices, we were charged twice for WiFi use. Apparently the price is per user per day, not per room. They very kindly agreed to drop one of the charges after we complained. Our room faced the back of the hotel which was a field hockey field. Overall very happy with our stay here!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with your feedback. Your review is very informative and certainly offers travellers some great advice. From your review it appears that you were in our studio suite. This suite offers a self contained option, with the smaller kitchenette and bathroom. For travellers coming for a longer stay, I would recommend the deluxe studio. The deluxe provides our guests with a larger living space and bathroom. In saying that the studio is a fantastic option, that gives the guest the Olsen experience.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our internet service. Currently it is charged per device, rather than per room. This is something that we are evaluating, so that we can ensure a user friendly service for our guests.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We drove from Lorne after 3 days on Great Ocean Road to be met outside the Hotel by who I thought was the Concierge. He kindly looked after our luggage as we booked in and when I asked him how I could get back from dropping off our hire car in the Melbourne CBD he offered to pick me up. Great customer service but on coming back I found out that he was actually the General Manager Troy who "liked to get involved and meet his customers" We were extremly luck y that we arrived when we did. Room allocated to us superb on the top 14th floor with views south towards St Kildas. We woke up one morning to the site of 6 Hot air balloons over the city. Great views from our window.
Downsides were that you only access to certain fllors which proved a little difficult when we had Laundry and no laundry room on our floor. We had aproblem with washing machine which was eventually sorted but not helped by lack of access to all floors. With so many original paintings I appreciate the need for security and it was just one of those things. Overall a great place to stay with comfortable beds Great views and good value for money

Room Tip: Go for the 14th floor if you can
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony B
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of The Olsen Hotel. Whether it is Troy; our Magnificent General Manager, or any of our guest experience team members, we all aim to provide great customer service.

We appreciate the feedback regarding our floor access. We have laundry facilities on floors two to eight. For the security of our guests we only allow access to the floor that your suite is on. This obviously causes occasional issues when guests on the higher floors wish to use the laundries. Our staff will always assist with this when we are required.

You have mentioned some great points about the hotel. One of our best assets is the views from many of our suites. From the Melbourne Cricket Ground, to the CBD, around to Port Phillip Bay, there are superb sights to wake up to.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again soon at The Olsen Hotel.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed in their most basic room which I got a deal on from Scoopon. The room had a very nice atmosphere, equipped with basic amenities which you would expect from a 5 star hotel. It also had a comfy bed. However the thing that I found absurd was that it didn't have a proper shower. It was a shower head with a curtain which you pulled around. This caused the bathroom floor to be very wet with water splashing everywhere. I would stay there again as it was an excellent location but I would like to have a proper enclosed shower if I were to pay full price.

• Stayed September 2011
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review The Olsen Hotel. Overall it appears that your experience with us was a positive one, especially with the Art Series Signature bed. In response to your concerns regarding the shower; it does seem that you were allocated a disabled suite. Our preference is not to use these suites; however there are times when our occupancy is high and we are required to use these rooms. We recommend that you request not to be allocated one of these rooms if you were to stay again in the future.

Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#11 of 160 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!