“Felt like a princess! Amazing!!! Loved it, Loved it, Loved it!”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #30 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I had the most amazing experience at the Art Series The Olsen. From the minute I enquired over the phone about hotel rates, Jared really helped me find the best deals for my short stay. I was there by myself, and was quite nervous about getting lost as I wasn't from Melbourne and had never been on my own before-but I felt so comfortable staying at this hotel because of the service they gave me. Jared talked me through some options on how to get there from the Airport, and even on the day when I arrived he helped me on the phone while I was figuring out my transport options at the airport and on the bus. Upon checking-in, I was greeted with a smile, and a wonderfully vibrant welcome. Jared showed me a map to some local restaurants and shopping malls (totally up my alley and what I'm interested in too! It was almost like he could read my mind!!). Much to my surprise, and in no way did I have this expectation at all, I was then upgraded to a 2BR, 2BR Penthouse suite with late check-out till 1pm. I really felt like a princess!!!! The room just took my breath away.. it was just amazing and because it was more spacious, I felt like I was at home... I loved the interior decorating and design - very fresh, clean, spacious and bespoke. With a fond appreciation for art, it was great to hear the history of John Olsen on the TV documentary play-back, and view his work in the room, and through books that were available. There were great views, and I loved the small touches from black slippers, to T2 for a nice hot herbal tea, spa bath and the quirky beauty ECO products that cracked me up with the comments on the packaging. It's also such a great location to all the local stores, restaurants, train station and art galleries! I didn't want to venture out too much on my own, but everything I needed to keep me pre-occupied during my stay was there within walking distance! I wanted to hire a smart car, or a bike, but I just ran out of time - will have to do that next time because the rate was really good value ($35 for half the day I recall?)... I will never forget this experience and how much the staff made me feel safe and welcome. What I also enjoyed about my experience was that everywhere I looked there was something that was filled with positivity - from the colourful, vibrant art, to the beauty products and even the in-room mugs that said 'my cup's half full'. I enjoyed my experience so much that I wanted to take something home with me as a reminder of this great hotel, I enquired about the in-room mug (my cup's half full) as I wanted to purchase one. The lovely lady on reception had a new one delivered to my room and again, exceeded my expectations by gifting it to me complimentary. Again, something I didn't expect to happen... All I can say is that I didn't have a bad word to say about my stay at this hotel. My only constructive feedback (in case you are a really really light sleeper like me) is that I could subtly hear the lifts bumping throughout the night, but this was a quick fix. I drowned this out by putting a plush, feather pillow over my head/ears and had the best night sleep each night. Perhaps some disposable ear plugs could help? but honestly, it wasn't that much of an issue at all. :) I can't wait to come back and stay there again, and even try out the other Art Series Hotels as they are so trendy! I would definitely recommend The Olsen to anyone. AAAA+++++...

Room Tip: Penthouse suite is great - best views, great layout - fabulous!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Paul R, Chief Concierge at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to writing your detailed review for [The Olsen] hotel, We love that you felt welcome from the initial reservation, on arrival, during your stay and right through to the departure from us. Jarred and Team Olsen certainly appreciates all feedback that you have passed on. The decor, amenities, facilities and the legendary art work of John Olsen all throughout [The Olsen] certainly provides for a setting for ones time away from home. We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen]!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,839)

Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

The Olsen seems fantastic, I will stay there next time, but I did enjoy spa treatments at Norbu Spa, highly recommend, can't wait to return, Di and her team really spoil you! The hot box was great to relax and detox!

• Stayed: June 2013
Paul R, Chief Concierge at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write the above review for Norbu the day spa at [The Olsen], Di and the Norbu team certainly appreciates the positive feedback.

We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen] and the Norbu Day Spa!

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed here for a family function and had a great weekend. The room was beutifully appointed and the hotel itself is impressively appointed and decorated. The staff were friendly and helpful and the location is in the heart of Melbourne's premier retail and entertainment zone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for leaving some great feedback on Trip Advisor about [The Olsen]. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the Guest Experience Team were able to provide you with outstanding service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen].

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed here for business 2 weeks ago. As expected it is a gorgeous hotel and the rooms are one of the best I have stayed at out of all the 5 star properties I have visited. There were some 'suspicious' looking black hairs in the shower, however I didnt let that detract from the overall experience.

My issue is that I actually loved the hotel rooms so much, I decided this would be the hotel I wanted to book for my upcoming wedding for myself and guests to stay in prior and the night of the wedding. I tried calling reservations whilst at the hotel to discuss this, it continually rang out so I contacted reception who advised someone would contact me. By the time of check out 2 days later no one contacted me, despite having my mobile number as well as room number. Still wanting to book this hotel, I then followed up with an email detailing my requirements.......no reply. A week later I call and was advised they could not find my email (cant understand why as its showing as sent with no return issues and I used the email link from their own website), I spoke with a friendly member of staff who asked me to resend the email. I did so and have now finally over 2 weeks later recieved a reply basically just asking me to go online and book the rooms there. I had also asked some questions around whether a car service is offered through The Olsen, however I was not given any answer.

I would have done that in the first instance, however given that I will be booking one type of room for NYE (a 2 bedroom suite), a different type of room for the following night (2 bedroom suite - night before wedding), plus another 2 types of room that night (one twin, one king), then a different type of room again for the wedding night (king), plus around 6 extra rooms (mixes of kings and twins) that night, I thought it would be simpler, easier, cheaper to organise all this direct. I am a bit concerned for example that the room I would be getting ready in, will be different to the room for the night of my wedding so all my luggage will be required to be moved.

The fact that overall we will be spending around $3000 for 3 nights accommodation should have warranted some assistance and I suppose reassurance that this was the right place to be spending this important time for us.

Quite sad really as I stay in Melbourne for business for around 5 nights every month (spending around $9,000 a year on hotels)....this would also have been the hotel of choice if it were not for the better service. In fact, I was meant to book for next week, however I am holding off for now. Feeling somewhat dissapointed The Olsen.....such a beautiful hotel and very homely.....just let down by the service.

On another note, 3 weeks ago I emailed the restaurant directly asking whether they have anything vegan suitable for breakfast (so I would know whether to book breakfast or go elsewhere) I am still waiting for that reply too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank xmissymissyx
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights whilst in Melbourne for work. I was really impressed by my room and all the beautiful paintings in the hallways, foyer and bedroom. Food is great in the restaurant, staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Suggest you book a room on a higher level to minimise the street noise of vehicles and trams. I was...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Brendan T, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

We appreciate your review of your stay with us at [The Olsen].

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the Olsen property. The décor in our hotel is to reflect on the legendary John Olsen who is one of Australia’s most recognised artists.

The team here at The Olsen are looking forward to welcoming you back for your next stay with us.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

The Olsen Art Hotel is a truly 5 star experience. Our room (2 BR balcony suite) was large, attractive, beautifully equipped and had extraordinary views from Chapel Street to an ocean glimpse. Fabrics were lovely, furniture and bedding very comfortable and the food excellent. In fact, the bed was deliciously cosy! But for me, The Olsen is about good design and décor, excellent food and incredibly polite and respectful staff. Concierge was so helpful, valet service sensational & front desk always had a smile. Huge mini bar, large fridge, neat kitchen facilities and great desk space (which suits people working or with students). The John Olsen artwork was also really delightful to enjoy. It was truly a pleasure to stay here & can't wait to go back.
Any negatives? Well, the heater wasn't amazing, & maybe the lift's genteel pace is a little slow, staff forgot to drop a key up but apology was sincere ... but who cares, this is a great hotel & we loved it.

Room Tip: If you enjoy space, pick the 2 BR balcony suite on level 7 :) The Chapel St view is spectacular...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you kindly for the above review, [The Olsen] certainly appreciates your feedback and we have taken all the points on board.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the design and the service provided to you from The Olsen team members. It was unfortunate to hear about the issues that occurred during your stay with us, we have since past this feedback onto our team and these issues since have been rectified.

We look forward to giving you a warm welcome back to [The Olsen].

Reviewed 20 June 2013

When a hotel checks you out with 1 day left on your stay,without you checking out, takes all clothes and luggage out the room and doesn't contact you, then it's time to find another hotel in Melbourne.

Stayed: June 2013
10  Thank R T

The Olsen Team appreciates your feedback and would to once again apologise for the unfortunate mistake that occurred during your visit here with us and the inconvenience which this caused. As mentioned previously we have taken many steps to investigate why this happened and to ensure this does not happen again here at [The Olsen].

If you would like to discuss your stay any further you’re more than welcome to contact our Front Office Manager on 9040 1222 at your earliest convenience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Chinatown
Mantra On Russell
Mantra On Russell
#35 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!