“Brilliant hotel, amazing service!!”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #24 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Brilliant hotel, amazing service!!”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

A very very cool hotel... always feel like a rockstar walking in here and the staff were brilliant.. Great room, lunch was delicious in their restaurant... And I love the little Evo toiletries... Thanks guys for such a great stay, you know your business...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Fernando A
Paul R, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Hello Louisa C,
Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay at the Olsen, we truly appreciate the feedback.
I am deeply sorry to hear you did not enjoy all aspects of you time with us, with specific regard to the breakfast experience in our restaurant Spoonbill.
Your feedback has been passed onto our General Manager along with our Food and Beverage Manager and we have made some changes that relate directly to your feedback since this review was posted 2 weeks ago.
I do sincerely apologise you were not asked on departure how your stay was and consequently paid for your breakfast which was disappointing. I certainly would like to rectify this should you wish to contact myself directly at the Hotel.
I do look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
Amy Moylan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Olsen for one night. The hotel in general was nice but the bathroom and service at their Spoonbill restaurant left a lot to be desired. The bedroom (room 606) was great and the bed was very comfortable but bathroom was disproportionally big and the extraction fan blew cold air at me while I hid behind the cheap shower curtain. The shower water wasn't very hot which made washing myself even more uncomfortable. Breakfast the next day put me in a foul mood; first I was told my eggs would take about 45 mins to an hour so I should help myself to cereal/juice first. At the juice bar, the one available glass was tainted with dry residue so clearly hadn't been washed properly. At the cereal bar, there was no milk so I had to ask for that. When I sat down I realised that I didn't have any cutlery or a napkin so I had to get up again and ask for it. When my eggs eventually came, I had to ask for pepper. Really sloppy service. I'm not happy I paid for breakfast. I would have taken this up with the hotel rather than posting on a public forum but they didn't ask how my stay was. I'm not sure if I'll stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loudecruss
Hello Louisa C,
I am sincerly sorry to hear you did not enjoy all aspects of you time with us, with specific regard to the breakfast experience in our restaurant Spoonbill.
I do look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
Amy Moylan
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Booked in for a stay at the Olsen for 3 nights with my partner, for a little getaway, he had especially booked this hotel for the restaurant and the artistic feel. Unfortunately, we were left feeling a bit underwhelmed compared to previous stays we have had at other 5 star establishments in Melbourne by this experience.

Upon arrival we were given the option to park our own car, but after getting into the car park only to discover- no parking available, frustrating although given an apology from the reception and the explanation their system had not show the car park as full and this May have been due to parking being used by those in a function? And we're assured that they would take care of this for us (of course which we were charged the valet parking fee for, perhaps fair enough).

Must mention the sparkling wine on arrival was really lovely and beautiful chocolates well worth the upgrade and had quite a nice dinner in the restaurant that evening, staff were friendly etc. I would recommend the zucchini flowers and the soft shell crab, really fresh and very enjoyable. In room art books for perusal and lovely prints adorning the walls.

Downside, was that although we had paid for a balcony room which online is described as having a 'private balcony', this was not the case in this instance, we were in the second floor and our balcony was actually adjacent to/part of the sun deck, not private and the only day of our stay that had lovely sunshine in the afternoon our balcony was unfortunately occupied by other guests and were unable to take advantage of this, just a bit of a disappointment.

The room also had bobby pins strewn in the floor from previous guests, not really a big deal, just perhaps a bit of an oversight by housekeeping, brown bobby pins on brown carpet. Mini bar not restocked daily again not the end if the world perhaps an oversight and there was also a note on the mini bar card that you can call to have it restocked if need be-although we did not. Ironically, although housekeeping may have missed these little things, they did manage to pick up the spare room key we had unintentionally left in the key holder for power in the room. However, unfortunately they took it with them when they left, again not the end of the world, just a bit annoying.

We only attempted breakfast on our first morning, we were seated after waiting 20 mins for our order to be taken, (the waitress seemed to be under the impression we had been served by someone else-although since we still had the menu sitting on the table, to me that was a bit of an odd assumption-in her defence we had been seated by someone else) we waited and waited still no food. My tea was well and truly finished, still no food and no water on the table and no one to ask (although there may have been a function-we were asked if we were part of a group when we had arrived). After around 25mins finally breakfast comes out, it's not ours or what we had ordered. A bad sign. A few mins later the waitress came over to say that they had unfortunately lost the order, somehow. At this stage we opted to leave without breakfast, I did not want to wait any longer our choice. The waitress was very apologetic and ironically then said but you're only waiting on poached eggs it won't take long, we can rush the order-no I wasn't, not at all what I ordered at all. At this point we cut our losses, obviously something had gone awry. Ok these things happen but more attentive wait staff would have been able to see that we had not only waited to order but that we had also waited and waited for an order to come out. Again not the end of the world just frustrating. Luckily, we did find 2 lovely spots for breakfast within very easy walking distance so we didn't attempt breakfast at Spoonbill a second time.

All in all, not bad, just not great, average and not what I have come to expect from a reputable 5 star establishment. My suggestion would be to heed the other reviews for this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul R, Chief Concierge at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time in writing an informative review about your recent experience whilst staying with us at the Olsen Hotel. Our hotel General Manager, Mr Lee Davey, would like you to contact him, to discuss your feedback.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

This is a small boutique hotel that is comfortable clean and reasonably central to the Toorak south yarra area. The service is welcoming and discreet .. Bathroom clean and bed comfortable. However it is not in Central Melbourne and the shopping around here is pretty dismal. If you plan to have a relaxing weekend there are movies and restaurants nearby ... Enjoy.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rubaskala,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience whilst staying with us at the Olsen.

We are very pleased to read, that you had a wonderful time.
We do look forward to hopefully seeing you again soon.
Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Excellent location in a very stylish hotel. Olsen prints throughout the hotel were "fun". We had a studio apartment with a giraffe glass panel into the bathroom. Our room was near the lift but it was quiet and the luxury bed was very comfortable. The hotel's location close to Toorak Road made it very easy to catch trams, trains and taxis. The restaurants were great and the staff were very accommodating to allow us a table to meet our business acquaintances.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Diane,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Olsen hotel! We have some amazing shopping and restaurant options around the hotel.

It’s the attention to detail in all of our rooms that we hope all guests enjoy, from our custom made beds to the hand selected books on Australian Artwork and the fantastic Art of John Olsen (which is available for sale!).

We look forward to seeing you again at [The Olsen]
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Expectations were high however felt extremely let down!

We stayed at The Olsen in October, 2013. We had a Red Balloon voucher and used it for one night accommodation and breakfast.

We had stayed at The Cullen and a few friends had stayed at The Olsen previously. We were impressed in the past so our expectations were high. Unfortunately this time around we were not impressed and in the end we could not wait to get home!

Before I continue with the review, I have to make the point that the staff were fantastic at the reception. Every issue and problem we had and told them about was resolved immediately. They were friendly, apologetic and courteous. For this I could not fault them and appreciated the effort they went to in an attempt to improve our stay. Unfortunately it is not all about the customer service. It helped make it less of a disaster and I commend them for that, but overall we were disappointed.

Below I will list all the issues we had with a small comment for each.

There were no tissues in the room. Normally you would find a box of tissues in the main room or in the bathroom. We looked everywhere. Every cupboard and every draw. Nothing. Trivial I know but this is a simple thing and it’s the little things that count.

The balcony had a small table and two wicker chairs. One of the chairs had a piece of broken glass wedged between the woven material in the seat. Had I not seen it before sitting down it would not have been a nice experience. I removed the piece of glass and it was a few centimetres long. While on the topic of the balcony, it was full of cigarette butts. Perhaps from a previous occupant? The cleaners need to pay more attention and take more care when assessing the cleanliness of the room and ensure this is not limited to only the room.

Again on the topic of cleanliness, the room was full of long, blonde hair. On the bed, all over the bathroom, and on the carpet. The carpet I understand as it is hard to see. The bed and the bathroom were obvious and disgusting. The last thing I want to do is sleep on a bed with someone else’s hair on it. Likewise for the bathroom. It makes you wonder how much effort and time actually went into the cleaning of the room.
The shower was dirty and looked like it had not been cleaned well for a long time and the build of grime had started to show. I am not sure how or when it was last cleaned properly however we did not want to use it. We left without using it and showered at home. Luckily it was an overnight stay and this was possible. Had it been longer it would have been quite upsetting and disappointing.

The mini bar in the kitchenette had a peanut packet already open, half full and spilt onto kitchenette. I called and asked for it to be removed and replaced. They claimed that I opened and ate it and wanted a new bag. One thing you don’t do is accuse your customers!

The bed is important. You probably spend more time there in the room than anywhere else. The doona had no cover. It was simply a sheet, doona and then sheet. Doonas are not pretty. They are meant to keep you warm. A simple cover which is the standard for every bed one would have thought was not there. I don’t think I have ever seen a doona without a cover.

Hanging on the door knob on the inside was a breakfast menu. You fill it out and hang it outside your room door by a certain time to order breakfast in your room. The one in our room was already filled out by a previous guest and dated June 2013, four months prior.

We had breakfast at Spoon Bill. The food was really nice and I was impressed. I had the corn and zucchini fritters with poached egg. One of the nicest breakfasts I have ever had. The coffee was terrible though. The food took a while to come out but it was worth the wait it was that nice. One thing that stood out and the impression that is left with me was the staff. They were not friendly and seemed like they didn’t want to be there. The last thing you want when dining somewhere is the moody staff.

Finally at check out, the person at reception tried to charge me for the room and the breakfast despite using a Red Balloon voucher when checking in which included the room and breakfast as part of the package. They asked me for the voucher which I gave them when checking in. They eventually found it and corrected the bill.

After all that, we were charged an additional fee because when we checked in we asked for a room with a balcony. I was happy to pay for that since the voucher did not include this type of room as it was an upgrade; however after everything that we experienced you would think it would be waived.

It was time to go home and we asked for our car from valet. I was given a parking ticket and told where to collect my car from. Dude…where’s my car?!?!?! You parked in valet; you bring it back to me! I told the staff member at reception that it was in valet and another staff member kindly brought it to the front of the hotel.

Once again I need to stress that despite all the issues and the disappointment of the experience, the staff were friendly and did make attempts to improve our stay. Just a few lessons that need to be learnt and management should focus on these to ensure that every customer is not only a satisfied one, but also a return one.

Perhaps rather than 8 art books in the room, concentrate and focus on a clean room, then all the little gimmicks and extras can come.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Emmanuel L
Thank you for taking the time in writing an informative review about your recent experience whilst staying with us at the Olsen Hotel. Our hotel General Manager, Mr Lee Davey, would like you to contact him, to discuss your comments further.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.
Sydney
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We have just returned from a week in Melbourne staying at The Olsen and have to say that it was definitely the highlight of our trip. The staff at The Olsen were so very helpful - providing us with great local recommendations and ensuring we were always comfortable. The room was a great size and the location was perfect! Only a stroll away from Richmond and right next door to the fashion strip on Chapel St. The hotel also provides a great service whereby guests are able to hire smart cars for a couple of hours or even the entire day. We will definitely be booking The Olsen for our next stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Paul R, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest,
WOW - This is really exciting to hear!!! Our staff will love reading this review.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Melbourne.

Warm regards,
Julie Dale
Hotel Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#11 of 160 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!